Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

What is the opinion in this thread that the 'scummier' elements of society seem to be much more likely to catch covid, due to them gemstone not giving a f**k about restrictions?

I hate the term underclass, and realise that so many of these problems are society's fault - but to deny it exists is just daft.

For me, it's a definite part of the problem. Not major part, but a part nonetheless.

tenor (2).gif

5 minutes ago, philpy said:

I'm more looking forward to being able to see my parents and family than I am to having a pint to be honest. I'll certainly not be going to packed pubs straight away anyway, everywhere will be a fucking nightmare.

This is very controversial. I was under the impression everyone loved pints more than close family.

My missus works in an addictions unit. One of the service users walks in to the reception during the week wearing a motorcycle helmet. Fair enough you might think, except he doesn't have a motorbike and had arrived by taxi. He then proceeds to tell everyone that he is wearing it to keep them safe. Or at least that was what he was trying to say, nobody could hear him until he had to lift up the visor to make himself clear.

14 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I agree that there's an underclass, to deny otherwise is folly. 

I live in a less than salubrious part of the West of Scotland. One thing I noticed early on when face masks were in short supply, was that all the junkies waiting for their methadone were wearing them. It was like they were sporting a fashion accessory, though about six of them had formed a tight circle and were chatting away with no regard for social distancing whatsoever, and most were not wearing their masks properly or had even removed them to aid conversation. Very bizarre.

I think statistically the underclass are more likely to smoke, drink heavily, take drugs, eat unhealthily and possibly indulge in many other risky behaviours. I can only conclude that they are more fatalistic or place less value on their lives. 

I definitely think it can be argued that calling people with addiction issues an “underclass” is folly. 

Genuine question - I remember NS saying things will look a lot better in the spring. Is that still the case, or has she backtracked on that?
Still the case although what she forgot to add was that she actually meant spring 2026.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
8 minutes ago, Steven W said:
Genuine question - I remember NS saying things will look a lot better in the spring. Is that still the case, or has she backtracked on that?

Still the case although what she forgot to add was that she actually meant spring 2026.

image.jpeg

38 minutes ago, philpy said:

I'm more looking forward to being able to see my parents and family than I am to having a pint to be honest. I'll certainly not be going to packed pubs straight away anyway, everywhere will be a fucking nightmare.

It will be like that shitty Friday of all the staff parties before Christmas. Absolute worst time to be drinking.

57 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

What is the opinion in this thread that the 'scummier' elements of society seem to be much more likely to catch covid, due to them gemstone not giving a f**k about restrictions?

I hate the term underclass, and realise that so many of these problems are society's fault - but to deny it exists is just daft.

For me, it's a definite part of the problem. Not major part, but a part nonetheless.

Personally I think lower paid jobs tending not to be able to done from home (and being out in public) people being worried about getting tested in case they have to take unpaid time off work/ not being able to afford to isolate if positive, having to take public transport due to no car / location of workplace, multiple generational households etc will have far more effect than not strictly adhering to regulations 

Edited by madwullie

29 minutes ago, Steven W said:

We are still a month away from the spring, and the figures make it clear that things definitely will look better by then.