Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56019995

At least 10 years ahead of genetically tracing the virus. This is about as sensible a take as I've seen in a bit. 

Basically, it's not going anywhere and we will be constantly monitoring it as they expect it to carry on mutating.

To me, this is reassuring as it shows that even when a vaccination programme is completed, they still expect to stay ahead of the curve in terms of determining any variants on the rise. 

Yes, the SNP are giving off full Robin Williams as Mrs Doubtfire nanny vibes over this, but they'll still absolutely piss the election in May, and rightly so.  They're the only credible party in this country who actually care about its inhabitants.

30 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Thought this might be interesting for some of the #wfhers out there

A split one/two days in the office and the rest at home is definitely how I can see my working future looking, and I'm all for it to be honest. That might change if I have kids who'll be rattling about the house all day, but at the moment not spending circa £1k a year and 10 hours a week commuting has been one of the best things about lockdown.

4 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

A split one/two days in the office and the rest at home is definitely how I can see my working future looking, and I'm all for it to be honest. That might change if I have kids who'll be rattling about the house all day, but at the moment not spending circa £1k a year and 10 hours a week commuting has been one of the best things about lockdown.

£2 per hour of travel time sounds very cheap. 

Edited by ayrmad

Thought this might be interesting for some of the #wfhers out there

If it was permanent working from home I think I’d look for another job, i only started an office based job in September. I actually quite enjoy the social contact with others and we definitely get more done when we’re all sitting together.
There’s also for me the part about trying to learn from people with experience which has been pretty sparse when we’re at home
It’s a no from me

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

If it was permanent working from home I think I’d look for another job, i only started an office based job in September. I actually quite enjoy the social contact with others and we definitely get more done when we’re all sitting together.
There’s also for me the part about trying to learn from people with experience which has been pretty sparse when we’re at home
It’s a no from me

When I was office every day I always thought I’d happily wfh every day. Now that I’ve experienced it, I’m similar to you. I’m happy doing about half in, half home but permanently from home would be brutal.

That being said, I think it’s made worse because we currently can’t do anything outside of work. If we were able to go out for a meal or to meet friends etc after work then it might be more manageable. Probably not a fair comparison at the moment. Also in terms of going in, I’m currently allowed to drive in and park which I wasn’t allowed to do pre-Covid, so I would undoubtedly be more reluctant to go in when it goes back to going via public transport and doubling the commute time.

Nothing wrong with working from home of it suits. Personally, I don't like it and will be delighted to be able to go back into the office albeit probably not five days a week. Will take it as it comes. 

As I've said before, were I dropping £5k for a season ticket then my opinion would be somewhat different. My commute is 30mins if that each way and is inexpensive, so not something I get too hung up about. 

It's very dependent on circumstances. I don't think I am any better off at all being at home but others will feel a lot differently about it and should be allowed to continue doing so if that's what suits. 

I'll be very surprised at large firms, particularly London ones, that insist on five days in the office after this unless there's a good reason the job can't be done at home. The amount of money the business will save by getting rid of space will be huge. Not to mention people that aren't very happy about paying hig fares and sacrificing their time travelling might well just move elsewhere. 

Edited by Michael W

Came into the office today for first time since Nov. Paid £5 for train ticket and got on board only for all trains to Queen St be cancelled. Had to then pay another £4 on bus as First Group hadn't yet notified drivers to accept rail tickets. Got in to work 30 mins late. 

My commute is tiny compared to a lot of folk (Lenzie) but I don't miss it. WFH with regular days in office is the way forward. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'll be very surprised at large firms, particularly London ones, that insist on five days in the office after this unless there's a good reason the job can't be done at home. The amount of money the business will save by getting rid of space will be huge. Not to mention people that aren't very happy about paying hig fares and sacrificing their time travelling might well just move elsewhere. 

I wonder if companies will stick with expensive rented floors in London, if you think what you could build in Spain as an office come playground for your staff to use it would be a no brainer. I guess some companies will want a London address but that could be achieved with a PO box.

10 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Nothing wrong with working from home of it suits. Personally, I don't like it and will be delighted to be able to go back into the office albeit probably not five days a week. Will take it as it comes. 

As I've said before, were I dropping £5k for a season ticket then my opinion would be somewhat different. My commute is 30mins if that each way and is inexpensive, so not something I get too hung up about. 

It's very dependent on circumstances. I don't think I am any better off at all being at home but others will feel a lot differently about it and should be allowed to continue doing so if that's what suits. 

I've heard a few people say they don't like working from home as they're physically not set-up for it.  No actual office and sitting a dining room table etc which isn't ideal.  I don't have those issues so am quite happy WFH.  I barely went into the office anyway.  Most of the team I actually work with are in London so it's not like we were face to face anyway and have communicated over IM/phone for years.

Edited by Left Back

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I've heard a few people say they don't like working from home as they're physically not set-up for it.  No actual office and sitting a dining room table etc which isn't ideal.  I don't have those issues so am quite happy WFH.  I barely went into the office anyway.  Most of the team I actually work with are in London so it's not like we were face to face anyway and have communicated over IM/phone for years.

That's my main issue with working from home. I'm set up at a desk at the end of my bed, which means that on the days that I'm working I spend 20+ hours of the day sat in the same room. I don't plan to go back to being in the office full time, maybe once a fortnight or so, but I do plan on moving house so that I have a dedicated office space at home.

16 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

It’s a no from me

We got told a couple of weeks ago that they were closing the office permanently.  No option but to sign a new contract stating you will be a home worker.  I’m trying not to make a snap judgement on it at the moment because wfh is shite at the moment but maybe when things open up and you can play fives at night etc it might not seem as bad. Balance of probabilities suggest that I’ll find another job.

I have suspicions that once workspace landlords start squealing and eventually having to drop rents significantly then companies may look again at going back in.

I'm starting to see clients vacating leases or negotiating reductions in rent. A lot more will be approaching break clauses. It will take a few years for existing leases to unwind, but in 2-3 years more or less every office space will have had some sort of break event / opportunity to consider options without penalty. This will clearly force the decision. Many will of course downsize once given the chance, but no doubt the cost of leasing smaller spaces has rocketed of late.

I love WFH, this is how I did my tea break yesterday. Joyous compared to going into a windowless staff room and making awkward small talk.
IMG_20210210_155036.jpeg

7 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

That's my main issue with working from home. I'm set up at a desk at the end of my bed, which means that on the days that I'm working I spend 20+ hours of the day sat in the same room. I don't plan to go back to being in the office full time, maybe once a fortnight or so, but I do plan on moving house so that I have a dedicated office space at home.

When you moved to where you are did you do so thinking how close it was to the office? 

I know a few folk who shortened their commute by moving closer to work but obviously that costs more so can afford less space, but they like you are trying to leave the city. 

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Yeah, my set up is OK but not great. Don't have a spare room  or a study so the desk is in the bedroom. I do however have a very comfortable chair, which work paid for which is better than the dining room chair that is now worn out from excessive us in the first six months of lockdown. 

One thing that isn't so great is that my flat gets very hot in the summer so it's difficult. Hoping to move house relatively soon so perhaps the circumstances will change a bit with more space. 

I also find it quite hard to switch off from work when at home. Travelling in and leaving the office to pick up lunch do provide some respite. 

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

I wonder if companies will stick with expensive rented floors in London, if you think what you could build in Spain as an office come playground for your staff to use it would be a no brainer. I guess some companies will want a London address but that could be achieved with a PO box.

My employer gets very nervous about employees working abroad due to the risk of a PE, so no joy for me there sadly! 

If you'd invested in London real estate you must however be shitting yourself. Space will certainly be reduced even if in many cases it won't be eliminated. 

Working from home is shite just now because we're spending our whole time there.  Once things are opening up, and the weather is getting better, I think it will become more attractive again.

I would hope Im never back in the office 9-5, Monday to Friday again.  Some of my work does take place in other locations but, if not needed there, I would be happy splitting my time between home and the office.

1 minute ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

I'm starting to see clients vacating leases or negotiating reductions in rent. A lot more will be approaching break clauses. It will take a few years for existing leases to unwind, but in 2-3 years more or less every office space will have had some sort of break event / opportunity to consider options without penalty. This will clearly force the decision. Many will of course downsize once given the chance, but no doubt the cost of leasing smaller spaces has rocketed of late.

I love WFH, this is how I did my tea break yesterday. Joyous compared to going into a windowless staff room and making awkward small talk.
IMG_20210210_155036.jpeg

It's a b*****d that weather like that no longer means being able to do no work.

I imagine Councils will be looking at using WFH to offload a lot of their office space. Highland Council HQ is a massive sprawl of buildings in the centre of Inverness. Developers would be tripping over themselves to get a hold of that patch of land. Not having to heat that building is already saving them a fortune.