Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Ah, thought it was in England during this lockdown. I'm no Scotgov fan, far from it in fact, but their promotion and allowance of outdoor recreation (especially sport for children) has been far far superior to English handling

Much football at semi-pro and below was played in England from the start of the season, even with supporters attending matches, but it has been treated woefully badly in Scotland. How does that fit in with your view when it comes to adult outdoor recreation, especially sport?

Just now, bairn88 said:

Quite possibly but I can't blame them for that. Everyone (including me, a young healthy person) was absolutely terrified of the virus in March/April. More information available now.

but Scotland has continued to treat football without checking the science regarding playing outdoor football.

Not one person on this thread has said that being obese is a good thing, nor that obese people shouldn’t be encouraged to lose weight.

Some have however pointed out reasons as to why the issue might exist, and others have just blamed the “fatties”.

Unless you understand the reasons why people behave the way they do - be it eating, drinking, drug taking, or other risky choices - you have very little hope of being able to change those decisions.

Just saying “willpower” is a waste of time. For some people that will work, for others there are more deep seated issues.

Basically what ive said.

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Quite possibly but I can't blame them for that. Everyone (including me, a young healthy person) was absolutely terrified of the virus in March/April. More information available now.

I was backing your point up, by pointing out it was indeed the rule.

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

Much football at semi-pro and below was played in England from the start of the season, even with supporters attending matches, but it has been treated woefully badly in Scotland. How does that fit in with your view when it comes to adult outdoor recreation, especially sport?

I'm not sure sitting watching sport counts as physical activity. Maybe it does.

What's painfully clear is crowds at football is abysmally far down on Scotgov's list of priorities. Given it's basically a national obsession and the activity can be done practically risk free I think it's very very poor. 

It won't matter for much longer though. Crowds will return in Eng in April/May, maybe 50% capacity eg at Wembley in Euros. Leitch will shrivel up and melt away when he realises his fantasies of keeping crowds to 200 or less would be laughed at by everyone. 

Can one assume that these daily ICU admissions graphs are for Covid patients?  Or is it the overall number of admissions for any reason?
You can assume that they have tested positive for covid within the last 28 days.
This is the type of thing that should be discussed but isn't.

We were promised a grown up conversation and it's just not happening. Deaths with covid is very different to deaths from covid.

It's complicated but there's no complexity allowed in the way the media handles things. It's just absolute full-on fear and 'we'll have to get used to it' stuff.

25 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm fairly certain being allowed out once for up to one hour of outdoor exercise per day was the limit back in March and April, no?

That's my recollection too, but there have been so many twists and turns with restrictions I've started to doubt myself.

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

That's my recollection too, but there have been so many twists and turns with restrictions I've started to doubt myself.

It was. You were allowed out once a day for exercise.

Reason I remember is that I recall feeling a bit dodgy about going out for a walk in the afternoon and then walking along to Aldi at night, just in case anyone spotted me and Philpy'd me up.

As others have said the hospital numbers continue to fall. 1472 today from 1499 yesterday.   Numbers have fallen by 322 in the last week.

The chat about ICU numbers increasing is a concern but needs some context. 115 today from 109 yesterday but worth remembering it was 161 as recently as 22nd January.

As Wee Bully says above the excellent Travelling Tabby site gives ICU admission numbers on a day by day basis. Updated every Wednesday to include numbers up to the previous Friday so the latest data is for up to Friday 5th February. This data suggest that up to that point ICU admission rates were probably at plateau but no evidence of an increase. The following are some of the ICU 7 day averages for ICU admissions in the period up until 5th February. 

Friday 5th Feb 10.3.            

Monday 1st February 11.4. 

Friday 29th January 11.1

Thursday 28th January 10.3

Monday 25th January 13.1.

I'm sure Jason Leitch will have access to more recent figures but if ICU admissions are on a general  increase then that's "only" in the last week. Even then that increase in admissions would be in a time period where ICU numbers have fallen slightly having been 123 on 5th February and 115 today.

Edit to add that on Friday 22nd January the 7 day average for ICU admissions was 16.3 (2weeks later it was 10.3 as above).

As I say I just don't see where this rise in ICU admissions is unless as stated before it's in the last week.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Reason I remember is that I recall feeling a bit dodgy about going out for a walk in the afternoon and then walking along to Aldi at night, just in case anyone spotted me and Philpy'd me up.

Exercise and essential shopping.  Nothing to see here.

44 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Anyone who even considers voting Tory is someone concerned purely with themselves, and who will lack any kind of empathy.

And lo and behold, what do we see this morning?

and dinnae forget Labour and the LibDems. All of them support Trident being based in Scottish waters.

39 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

😂 let's not pretend all those who will religiously vote SNP regardless of anything are doing so because they are empathic AF

Anyway, as someone who used to be really skinny, put weight on, lost it, put it on again, realised enough was enough and started losing it again, I know perfectly well the importance of recognising where the line is, and doing something about it. If people can't see that themselves, then outside pressure needs to be applied, rather than "ach its ok. You look beautiful. Love your body."

If it helps, though, I don't know you. I really don't care about or concern myself with you.

Of course I'll vote for whatever party satisfies my current needs and priorities. That's pretty much how elections work.

I'm looking beyond my current needs.

I've got grandkids and I want them to grow up in a nuclear-free environment.

Getting rid of Trident and Hunterston would be a guid start.

And you'll only get that by voting for independence!

Just now, Wee Willie said:

and dinnae forget Labour and the LibDems. All of them support Trident being based in Scottish waters.

I'm looking beyond my current needs.

I've got grandkids and I want them to grow up in a nuclear-free environment.

Getting rid of Trident and Hunterston would be a guid start.

And you'll only get that by voting for independence!

Is Trident all you ever think about?

you need to get out more.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Exercise and essential shopping.  Nothing to see here.

I had that all prepared as my reasoning.

Back in those early days though I thought the curtain twitchers in South Ayrshire would just see the same guy walking past their window a few times and get suspicious. 

Does ICU take up map well to overall case trends? Imagine that differing treatment regimes have an impact, for example: someone with high risk of morbidity, high viral load, no effective treatment - person dies before ever needing ICU.
Same person, low viral load due to decreased transmission, better treatments, doesn't peg it off the bat, good enough chance of recovery to wheel into ICU.
It'd surely only be out and out bad news if it was increasing use of ICUs for otherwise low risk patients?
Also the average age of ICU admissions is, and always has been, younger than general hospitalisations and deaths, it will take longer for these to decrease in comparison to the other rates.

10 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There were some edgy characters on here declaring the same.