Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

What's a quantum dot?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/invisible-ink-could-reveal-whether-kids-have-been-vaccinated/

The team ended up using a technology called quantum dots, tiny semiconducting crystals that reflect light and were originally developed to label cells during research. The dye has been shown to be safe in humans.

20 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Given the increasingly clear impact on transmission, I'd still find it strange if people like shop workers etc aren't moved up the queue. The risk to under 50s is negligible so trying to impact transmission would surely start to make more sense once the vulnerable are protected?

I may be wrong, but I remember reading something about an Asian country doing something along these lines.  They were vaccinating those who were actively running the country in terms of infrastructure  while the rest and vulnerable were kept under strict shielding orders.  I don't know if this plan came to fruition or if it had any positive effect, and I could well be talking out my hole, but it's an interesting idea. 

I've heard some mumblings about teachers needing to be push up the queue but I think that may have been driven by union reps.  Not sure how much good that would do if school staff were vaccinated if kids were potentially taking it and spreading it home though.  

Edited by super_carson

I may be wrong, but I remember reading something about an Asian country doing something along these lines.  They were vaccinating those who were actively running the country in terms of infrastructure  while the rest and vulnerable were kept under strict shielding orders.  I don't know if this plan came to fruition or if it had any positive effect, and I could well be talking out my hole, but it's an interesting idea. 
I've heard some mumblings about teachers needing to be push up the queue but I think that may have been driven by union reps.  Not sure how much good that would do if school staff were vaccinated if kids were potentially taking it and spreading it home though.  
I think it was Indonesia. I'm sure their plan was to vaccinate younger people first as they'd be out working and it would get the economy moving again. Like you, I have no idea how it's doing.

55 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Why is Blair even being given a platform ??

The guy has consistently proven himself to be a crooked, untrustworthy, self centred, egotistical, corrupt, self publicist, lying war mongering p***k and apart from that has more than the Jack Nicholson in the shining look about him.

Who does he post as on here?

42 minutes ago, super_carson said:

It might do some good for the teachers concerned.

James Cleverly whining on Channel 4 news that big bad China and Russia are sending vaccines to the developing world in exchange for influence, 'which is of course something that we would not do'. 

James Cleverly of the Foreign Office.

The British Foreign Office. 

Such a squeaky clean record when it comes to worming its way into the affairs of African and Asian countries!

If that is true it is utterly pointless posturing by union reps.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

James Cleverly whining on Channel 4 news that big bad China and Russia are sending vaccines to the developing world in exchange for influence, 'which is of course something that we would not do'. 

James Cleverly of the Foreign Office.

The British Foreign Office. 

Such a squeaky clean record when it comes to worming its way into the affairs of African and Asian countries!

He's only embarrassed we didn't get in there first,

The U.K. is the biggest single investor in the Covax scheme to provide vaccines for Lowe income countries.

If we have any spare vaccines after we should come up with a scheme to share them with the Republic of Ireland, they are our neighbours, we have a land border with them and it’s likely that Irish citizens travel to the U.K. more than any other country.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The U.K. is the biggest single investor in the Covax scheme to provide vaccines for Lowe income countries.

If we have any spare vaccines after we should come up with a scheme to share them with the Republic of Ireland, they are our neighbours, we have a land border with them and it’s likely that Irish citizens travel to the U.K. more than any other country.

We used to have a land border with them.  The border is now in the Irish Sea.