Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I think I might have ‘long vaccine’. Three days of headaches!

A lot of people are reporting significant effects after receiving the vaccine.    It’s all just a result of the immune system kicking in to fight the perceived threat,  but I do worry that some will not recognise that and we’ll see a fair amount of refusals of a second dose from those fearing the effects of their first dose.    I would be interested to see if the NHS/gov have plans to counteract that and encourage people to receive their 2nd dose.

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

If they're vulnerable then they'll already covered by the existing scheme though.

That’s exactly my opinion, I don’t think it would be right if I were to jump the queue, as it were,  by virtue of my job. 

42 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If that is true it is utterly pointless posturing by union reps.

I suspect that’s all it is.  It’s mostly been through teaching groups/discussion so take it with a pinch of salt. Some of my colleagues are bit hysterical about it all but I doubt it’ll come to anything. 

37 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The U.K. is the biggest single investor in the Covax scheme to provide vaccines for Lowe income countries.

If we have any spare vaccines after we should come up with a scheme to share them with the Republic of Ireland, they are our neighbours, we have a land border with them and it’s likely that Irish citizens travel to the U.K. more than any other country.

I had the same thought earlier today, we share a CTA and land border, there is a large Irish community here in the U.K. and I'm sure they would love to travel home to see family just as much as we would ourselves. We buy an awful lot of Irish produce and that means a constant movement of people and goods, wouldn't it be sensible to know that your nearest neighbour is in good health ?

I had the same thought earlier today, we share a CTA and land border, there is a large Irish community here in the U.K. and I'm sure they would love to travel home to see family just as much as we would ourselves. We buy an awful lot of Irish produce and that means a constant movement of people and goods, wouldn't it be sensible to know that your nearest neighbour is in good health ?

Yep, all they need to do is to get down on their knees and swear allegiance to Her Majesty and we’ve got a deal.

10 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

A lot of people are reporting significant effects after receiving the vaccine.    It’s all just a result of the immune system kicking in to fight the perceived threat,  but I do worry that some will not recognise that and we’ll see a fair amount of refusals of a second dose from those fearing the effects of their first dose.    I would be interested to see if the NHS/gov have plans to counteract that and encourage people to receive their 2nd dose.

My experience was pretty awful, however apparently worse after having covid! 

Not exactly looking forward to the second dose. 

12 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I'm wondering if the second dose would result in the same reaction as the first one as the body has already built up an immunity?

21 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I think I might have ‘long vaccine’. Three days of headaches!

Ha I don't think I'll ever be able to use my arm again. Drove to the shop earlier and could barely change gear. Fucking. Hell. 

14 minutes ago, super_carson said:

That’s exactly my opinion, I don’t think it would be right if I were to jump the queue, as it were,  by virtue of my job. 

I suspect that’s all it is.  It’s mostly been through teaching groups/discussion so take it with a pinch of salt. Some of my colleagues are bit hysterical about it all but I doubt it’ll come to anything. 

I heard NS say, and I agree with her, for someone to jump the queue, someone else who was previously considered more vulnerable has to move down. Pretty obvious I suppose, but also unfair when you think about it - especially if they've jumped the queue through pressure rather than genuine need. 

19 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

The Ireland situation is odd, in that we have no restrictions for people coming from Ireland (even in normal times your passport isn’t checked coming into the UK).   Yet they have quarantine for anyone coming from the UK.  It’s prevented my other half from seeing her family for over a year now.

Edited by super_carson

Tesco were really the company who pioneered this using Dunnhumby, long before our digital friends.
Clubcard was the jewel in the crown and was really the start of the "big bang" in data mining.
It really is unbelievable how much money is involved in this stuff and no surprise to see Tony boy baw deep in it, as it were.

They really have unleashed all hell in manipulating people with what they have now
Before all of that advertising marketing political polls and surveys were just estimates or guess work
I’d bet that it’s data mining companies behind all those thinly veiled memes on social media - like if you think soldiers should get houses before illegal immigrants
Or like if you you think we should sack the royal family and spend the money on poor kids
Basically tell us your political leanings

2 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

I'm wondering if the second dose would result in the same reaction as the first one as the body has already built up an immunity?

My suspicion would be no, it should be reduce.   But that’s not based on any knowledge on how those who have been give both doses have felt.  I’d thjnk the pharmaceutical companies have that sort of data from their trials, but rightly they talk up effectiveness of the vaccine and don’t really talk about how some don’t feel great but as basically fine for a few days.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

We (rightfully) mock our modellers when they produce nonsense, but check out this belter from Canada 😂

Modelling, if it wasn't already, is rapidly becoming an absolute parody.

20210219_174808.jpg

This is absolutely pointless without context. It very much strikes me as a cherrypicked example from a much larger document.

The fact it's on page 12 suggests that there is plenty of other information in there. My suspicion is that this is part of a large "what if" document which seeks to show what would happen if a more transmissible variant took seed in Canada, so that the government can be prepared to respond in such a circumstance. It doesn't mean that the author of the work actually thinks this is likely or is predicting that this will happen, but preparedness is a big part of any response.