Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Might've missed it, but did Nicola say anything about grassroots sport?

In England 'organised outdoor sport' can return from March 29. Be a bit of a farce if Tooting and Mitcham Rovers Amateurs can play down south, but nobody can do anything up here.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The biggest issue for me is the lack of a clear end point to all of this. I'm not talking about a date, I'm talking about a "at some point in the future we will be lifting these restrictions roughly in this order". The tier system doesn't do that, because even Tier 0 is still full of restrictions. There should be a very clear message that at some point, some time in the future, all of the restrictions will be listed, ideally with at least some indication of what is needed for that to happen.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Let's be honest, if Johnson hadn't come out yesterday and told everyone they could go to the Maniqui on the 21st June we'd all be sitting here thinking that what she said sounds pretty reasonable.

Agree with both of these. It seems a reasonable timescale to move back to less severe restrictions after all of groups 1-9 are vaccinated although dependent on how the data is looking then after another two months of this I'd hope most areas would be going straight to at least Level 2 if not 1 or 0; bringing back the levels just to arbitrarily pile places into 3 or 4 wouldn't do. Unlike the last time we had geographical levels, be clear about the criteria for each level and actually follow it properly - hopefully March sees that set out clearly.

However, there's been no indication of what comes next. I'm not asking for a precise date in several months time when it doesn't help anyone to make a promise you can't keep and have to row back on dates several times, but there's no indication of what happens after the geographical levels come back. Is the plan to wait until everywhere goes to Level 0, to wait until every adult is vaccinated, or what?

5 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

8 week holding pen. One of the lowest amount of cases out of all the regions in the country. 

Why oh why does this country need to continuously elect this authoritarian, incompetent regime. 

You wanted them, you got them and all the flag waving nationalism that goes with it...

9 minutes ago, renton said:

They were willing to move LAs around tiers though. With mixed success. Was it not Midlothian that got up into tier 2 before cases shot up promptly again? 

I'm seeing just now that even Moray, which went straight from Tier 1 up to full lockdown 2.0 overnight, is suddenly having a bad outbreak of it, and this has clearly developed during the 'stay at home' phase.

My educated guess is that folk in these areas, particularly Keith where there's a much higher X per 100,000 than average, folk are thinking "we were Tier 1 before national lockdown, so it's not really a problem up here".  Basically once the guard is dropped, it's f***ed.

Edited by Hedgecutter

17 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Not to that extent, but i did fear how bad it would be when i seen the pictures from italy. Never went full lovejoy on it, but it did show admittedly, the worst case scenario.
As the months went on, i relaxed a bit more (not to the extent of breaking rules) but certainly to the extent of not wiping the shopping down. Etc.

Aye, that was scary.

I think we've been, if not breaking, bending rules since November, with (fleeting) visits from grandchildren and stepchildren, and facilitating access for child visits for an estranged partner, although we are in a bubble with one household

3 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

8 week holding pen. One of the lowest amount of cases out of all the regions in the country. 

Why oh why does this country need to continuously elect this authoritarian, incompetent regime. 

Get a grip. It's hardly Guantanamo. The message from Boris yesterday pretty much the same. 

Has there been an announcement yet that @Billy Jean King hasn't defended as if his life depended on it?

The church stuff is a ridiculous piece of bollocks. There are more people unemployed than attend a church service, getting things opened and people back into jobs is far more important than letting people pray to their god in their preferred building. Aside from that it is pretty much as I was expecting. 

I know she said we'd release things faster if the data allowed, but did she give any indication of what sort of data levels we need for that to happen? She's left it deliberately very vague, which I understand but I do find a bit frustrating.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

No, they won't be opening up indoor hospitality at all until mid May.

That’s the point, it’ll be two weeks later but won’t include arbitrary restrictions like no alcohol and closed for six. 

We don’t have a clue at what point we will be allowed out beyond six. 

Edited by No_Problemo

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Am I right in thinking the following;

England

29th March - outdoor sports such as football can return for adulta and childen

Scotland

Not even a mention, and therefore won't return until late April at the very earliest.

15th March non contact outdoor sports return for 12-17 year olds in Scotland.

1 minute ago, latapythelegend said:

Get a grip. It's hardly Guantanamo. The message from Boris yesterday pretty much the same. 

Oh yeah comparing my ability to live a normal life and see loved ones is often held in comparison to Guantanamo, you're right I should be grateful it's not as bad as Guantanamo.

Pretty much the same if you're not very good at playing spot the difference. 

24 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Let's be honest, if Johnson hadn't come out yesterday and told everyone they could go to the Maniqui on the 21st June we'd all be sitting here thinking that what she said sounds pretty reasonable.

Even if he hadn't put any dates on it, he's outlined stages 1,2,3 & 4 of his plan. People know what is being proposed, and in what order.

NS has outlined stage 1.

There's nothing specifically wrong with what she said. But there's absolutely no detail of what comes after.

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Do people remember that tier three was utter shite?

Restaurants open until six with no alcohol whatsoever. England won’t be opening up with this pointless move that’s for sure. 

If it is to be a new tier three, then details of what that involves should be published today...

Dont even remember what tier 3 was like. Seems like the central belt has been in lockdown since October.

5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Am I right in thinking the following;

England

29th March - outdoor sports such as football can return for adulta and childen

Scotland

Not even a mention, and therefore won't return until late April at the very earliest.

Only organised sport in England can return on the 29th so you can't have a game of 5s with your pals.

Non organised sports like golf resume on the 29th March in England and are already open in Scotland.

Disappointing not to see contact sports return nevertheless.

7 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

No, most people believe it won't affect them personally and are quite willing to throw a few more crumblies and blimps under the bus so that they can get a pint/game of golf/haircut. 

At this point, the majority are at the "I'll take my chances - just let me out of the house!" stage, which is more than understandable.  In fairness, I believe the vaccine is over delivering to such an extent both in efficacy and uptake that the tunnel is getting shorter and the light brighter almost by the day. A year of missed targets and broken promises (mainly from Johnson) has led our leaders to be very circumspect as to what we can expect and when. Whatever, as long as we are travelling in the right direction I can contain my enthusiasm. 

I may be well wide of the mark here, but the first step appears to be the one most likely to go wrong - surely a vaccination for allschool workers could be arranged in the time between now and re-opening? Might not help all that much (I'm not an expert), but surely can't do any harm?

Can't understand it either, particularly for secondary schools.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, that was scary.

I think we've been, if not breaking, bending rules since November, with (fleeting) visits from grandchildren and stepchildren, and facilitating access for child visits for an estranged partner, although we are in a bubble with one household

I certainly know of folk that have probably been doing this.  In one case, the whole family (the 60yo gran, her daughter and sons who all live separately) all have it just now.  "Aye, we've seen each other, but we've keeping our distance so no idea how it's happened".  Nothing to do with constantly passing the kids around the family for day care, no? 🙄