Coronavirus (COVID-19)

23 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

You're playing us. The worst case scenario from a Loons point-of-view should be a 0-0.

The side effects of the jag kicked in. Hardly any sleep last night, high temperature and I've felt shit all day with headache and muscle pain, but that OG fairly lifted my mood 😂

I had astra zenica yesterday woke this morning fucked, went back to bed woke up okay ish just shattered. Fell asleep this afternoon for a couple of hours woke up fucked again. Hot then cold, aches, shivers and a cloudy head. 

18 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

The side effects of the jag kicked in. Hardly any sleep last night, high temperature and I've felt shit all day with headache and muscle pain, but that OG fairly lifted my mood 😂

Wondering if Ramsbottom might've had it yesterday as well. It would go so way to explaining what on earth happened!

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

The good news is you don’t have to worry because there’s absolutely no correlation. Anyone suffering a blood clot after AZ is purely coincidental and due to long-term lifestyle.

The coverage in UK has given people the above impression, which isn't true. The result is that people in UK think 'why are those silly forrins not vaccinating?'. There probably is a correlation, but not one that outweighs the benefits of the vaccine , as others have said.

3 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

The coverage in UK has given people the above impression, which isn't true. The result is that people in UK think 'why are those silly forrins not vaccinating?'. There probably is a correlation, but not one that outweighs the benefits of the vaccine , as others have said.

The European Medicines Agency, the regulator for medicines in the European Union, concluded that there was no association between AstraZeneca and an increased risk of blood clots as recently as Thursday.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ema-astrazeneca-5384556-Mar2021/

14 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

No there isn't. 

There litterly is no correlation - the average blood clot rate was actually higher in unvaccinated population. All this fiasco is based on a extremely misinterpreted figures.

11 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Well there are some downsides to the vaccine.

Well isn't that nice?

Most of the posters who think I'm a twat, stop short of actually wishing death on me, so it's good to meet someone with the courage of his convictions.

6 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

There litterly is no correlation - the average blood clot rate was actually higher in unvaccinated population. All this fiasco is based on a extremely misinterpreted figures.

Do you have a source for that mate, because that's not what this says

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/european-countries-resume-use-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine-hoping-pause-has-not-dented

Screenshot_20210321-062513_Chrome.jpg

Edited by madwullie

11 hours ago, superbigal said:

East Renfrewshire 141.3 to 130.8   Short stay at the top. Like St Mirren in top 6.

I come in here for a bit of relief from St. Mirren with some comparatively light-hearted subject matter and get reminded of this. 

Shocking.

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n728.full

IMG_1616314457.309599.jpg

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n699.full

Again this proves much the same point

37 occurrences in roughly 17 million doses is rough 1 in every 459,000 people

The UK had 28,000 hospital admissions for Pulmonary Embolism in 2011 alone (must take into account that may include 1 personal suffering multiple time). That however works out at a case in 1 of every 2,250 - I’m sure it wasn’t actually this high but I hope this proves my point.

Of course they can never rule anything out because in science most concepts aren’t a 100% fact, but the likelihood is right now that there is no correlation.

12 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n728.full

IMG_1616314457.309599.jpg

Again this proves much the same point

37 occurrences in roughly 17 million doses is rough 1 in every 459,000 people

The UK had 28,000 hospital admissions for Pulmonary Embolism in 2011 alone (must take into account that may include 1 personal suffering multiple time). That however works out at a case in 1 of every 2,250 - I’m sure it wasn’t actually this high but I hope this proves my point.

Of course they can never rule anything out because in science most concepts aren’t a 100% fact, but the likelihood is right now that there is no correlation.

Like was said earlier on, the UK data is massively weighted towards over 50s. The data in Europe where these clots are coming from are in the under 50s. Its suggested that is why they are seeing the clots that we aren't, edit: and probably why France only okayed AZ for over 50s (55s?)

None of this really matters, as you're more likely 5o catch covid and die than you are to get vaxxed and then clot, but it's not right to say that these are not related to the vaccine. The numbers are vanishingly small, but still considerably higher than would be expected in the general population of under 50s

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/it-s-very-special-picture-why-vaccine-safety-experts-put-brakes-astrazeneca-s-covid-19

Edit: nice to have an actual conversation about the science - despite the fact most of it is miles above my head. I'll read your article properly once I've got my kids to f**k 

Screenshot_20210321-083300_Chrome.jpg

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Like was said earlier on, the UK data is massively weighted towards over 50s. The data in Europe where these clots are coming from are in the under 50s. Its suggested that is why they are seeing the clots that we aren't. 

None of this really matters, as you're more likely 5o catch covid and die than you are to get vaxxed and then clot, but it's not right to say that these are not related to the vaccine. The numbers are vanishingly small, but still considerably higher than would be expected in the general population of under 50s

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/03/it-s-very-special-picture-why-vaccine-safety-experts-put-brakes-astrazeneca-s-covid-19

Screenshot_20210321-083300_Chrome.jpg

Surely a spike would be apparent in UK under 50s as well amongst the younger population (doctors, nurses, care workers etc.) that have had the vaccine too? Unless they generally got Pfizer and there's insufficient data. 

"Could not rule out" suggests to me that they don't actually have any statistical evidence, but that they think there might be a chance of finding something once they get more data.

11 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Surely a spike would be apparent in UK under 50s as well amongst the younger population (doctors, nurses, care workers etc.) that have had the vaccine too? Unless they generally got Pfizer and there's insufficient data. 

That's a good point. Maybe the numbers aren't big enough? Not just for this, but is there any easy to find data on the split of vaccines here? Anecdotally it seems that miles more people are getting Pfizer than AZ, but I doubt that's the case in reality. 

Like was said earlier on, the UK data is massively weighted towards over 50s. The data in Europe where these clots are coming from are in the under 50s. Its suggested that is why they are seeing the clots that we aren't, edit: and probably why France only okayed AZ for over 50s (55s?)
Edit: nice to have an actual conversation about the science - despite the fact most of it is miles above my head. I'll read your article properly once I've got my kids to f**k 
Screenshot_20210321-083300_Chrome.thumb.jpg.15afa12a1b2960c4db893b4b1e79d37e.jpg

Yeah, it’s definitely an interesting debate!

I’m not convinced that it’s too unexpected for Under 50’s to be more affected by blood clots - not always but often a cause is poor lifestyle. Overindulgence in fast food is much higher in younger populations and sedentary lifestyles in younger populations are also becoming very high. These risk factors suggest that it’s not inconceivable that under 50s could be nearly as badly affected as over 50s at this period of time.

Edit: A vast majority of the Under 50s who’ve actually had the vaccines to be part of studies so far will be the clinically vulnerable making the findings even more expected.

I just hope that over exaggerating news headlines don’t put people off taking the Vaccines.

20 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Yeah, it’s definitely an interesting debate!

I’m not convinced that it’s too unexpected for Under 50’s to be more affected by blood clots - not always but often a cause is poor lifestyle. Overindulgence in fast food is much higher in younger populations and sedentary lifestyles in younger populations are also becoming very high. These risk factors suggest that it’s not inconceivable that under 50s could be nearly as badly affected as over 50s at this period of time.

Edit: A vast majority of the Under 50s who’ve actually had the vaccines to be part of studies so far will be the clinically vulnerable making the findings even more expected.

I just hope that over exaggerating news headlines don’t put people off taking the Vaccines.

Couldn't agree more