Coronavirus (COVID-19)

had my astrazeneca and in all honesty i'd have waited if i knew how ill i'd have been for 24 hours.

My gut feeling tells me there will be a newer vaccine which better protects people later on, on a new variant that astro is ineffective against.

Edited by red23

The replies are so predictable

Also an absolute cert that the likes of Leitch, Sturgeon and Sridhar turn a blind eye when cases in Texas continue to fall, because it's only bad things we can learn from elsewhere.

The trend in Texas, where they have no closed sectors, mask mandates, distancing or capacity limits should continue to be observed. If it continues to go in the right direction then pressure should be applied to BJ, NS et al to get restrictions and passports to f**k and let people live.

Sick of the "we just don't know" pish (and even more sick of it going completely unchallenged), when what they really mean is "we just don't want to know" because it doesn't support the exit strategy they have decided to go down.

Edited by Todd_is_God

6 hours ago, Michael W said:

Probably more to do with the SNP's weird and at times puritan attitude towards alcohol more than anything else. 

There was mention in Private Eye's "Letter from Pretoria" a few months ago about the alcohol restrictions placed by the ANC government when SA locked down were put in place by some ministers who had been alcoholics but were now militant teetotalers.

When I read that I had a wee wry smile and wondered about some of our own MSPs

If its for the under 30s as rumoured on reuters then it shouldn't be an issue as we'll have Moderna and Jannsen by then you'd assume to pick up the slack.

My brother had the AZ vaccine the other day and is under 30. What would happen to his second dose if that came to pass? Hopefully, the suspension would be short lived.

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

FFS Todd. It's an article in the Mirror.

You need to stop over-reacting to everything - for the sake of your health bud.

It's the same with things Johnson says. The guy has change tack 4 times now on vaccine passports.

It's just not worth reading or listening to this nonsense.

Why not just wait to see where we are when cases, hospitalisations and deaths drop to almost nothing and everyone has been vaccinated. It's another 2-3 months. Worrying about anything before this point is a waste of time, energy and mental health because it's all a blaze of sensationalistic headlines, misinformation, and horseshit.

Fantastic progress is being made on vaccinations, cases, hospitalisations and deaths.
We shouldn't be losing our heads at this stage through sheer impatience.

When SAGE are saying that social distancing will need to remain in place until this time next year, regardless of how well the vaccine works, then it's very much more than "an article in the mirror"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9437665/amp/Boris-confirms-shops-reopen-Monday-lockdown-roadmap-doubt.html?__twitter_impression=true

Spoiler

Social distancing 'to stay even if lockdown easing goes to plan' 

Social distancing will remain in place until next year even if Mr Johnson's roadmap out of lockdown goes to plan, the Government's top scientific advisers warned today.

Senior SAGE sources said that while the vaccines prevent the vast majority of people from falling ill and dying from coronavirus, they 'are not good enough' to see all curbs lifted 'without a big epidemic'.  

I'm not losing my head at all, but these people are going to cause irreperable damage to people's health, jobs, businesses and life in general with this ridiculous advice.

It is now bordering on malicious, and there should be harsh consequences for it.

3 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

That’s the good thing about being in Scotland. We’ve done our own thing up here and not copied Boris whatsoever. The SG have really come to the fore throughout this.

Both Governments have hardly covered themselves in glory. I’d gain a whole load of respect for NS if she was to come out and say that domestic vaccine passports are a crock of shit and we won’t be implementing them, but I fear we’d go along with it 

7 hours ago, anotherchance said:

This provides more detail than the pretty rubbish article without context that C4 published. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/06/medicines-watchdog-says-no-decision-made-astrazeneca-jab-for-under-30s

It's not good news at all either way. I still don't think a one in 600k risk really presents an issue when we continue to alow uptake of other medications such as the contraceptive pill with much higher risks. And it still doesn't appear that this is any higher a risk than in the population as a whole. 

Unless J&J is ready to be rolled out very soon it's hard to see how this won't delay the  programme. Then again, there are a lot of people in the 30-50 agre group and it seems it may only be under 30s restricted. 

Edited by Michael W

This provides more detail than the pretty rubbish article without context that C4 published. 
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/06/medicines-watchdog-says-no-decision-made-astrazeneca-jab-for-under-30s
It's not good news at all either way. I still don't think a one in 600k risk really presents an issue when we continue to alow uptake of other medications such as the contraceptive pill with much higher risks. And it still doesn't appear that this is any higher a risk than in the population as a whole. 
Unless J&J is ready to be rolled out very soon it's hard to see how this won't delay the  programme. Then again, there are a lot of people in the 30-50 agre group and it seems it may only be under 30s restricted. 

It may be this is what the return to mass testing being the "solution" has been about all along I.e. younger cohorts are not going to be vaccinated after all.

Both Governments have hardly covered themselves in glory. I’d gain a whole load of respect for NS if she was to come out and say that domestic vaccine passports are a crock of shit and we won’t be implementing them, but I fear we’d go along with it 

Sturgeon said that she doesn’t like it but she’ll have to go along with it.

The technology used for the some of the Covid 19vaccines could be used to develop a vaccine for HIV. Initial trials report good response rates, up to 97% of phase 1 trial participants generate antibodies.

https://www.europeanpharmaceuticalreview.com/news/141892/novel-hiv-vaccine-approach-shows-promise-in-landmark-first-in-human-trial/