Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

Update: felt a bit achey like the start of a flu around 9PM yesterday, had a bit of a rubbish unsettled sleep and just felt like I had a hangover this morning. Nothing a few ibuprofen couldn't get rid of and I was fine by midday or thereabouts. Basically very similar to my first dose but with less-strong side-effects. Give it a couple of weeks and I'll be grand. Wouldn't mind some things like keeping a reasonable distance from people in shops etc and masks getting worn in shops but at the same time I also want to get sweaty gigs in small venues back - is that normal?

You realise those two things are totally at odds with each other?  If you’re happy to be in a sweaty gig why is a shop more dangerous?

7 hours ago, RiG said:

Edinburgh's numbers were so low for ages but now they've gone astronomically upwards. Is there a particular driver for it? :unsure:

It's not schools, definitely not schools

Spoiler

It's schools.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

You realise those two things are totally at odds with each other?  If you’re happy to be in a sweaty gig why is a shop more dangerous?

I do, hence why I'm saying that it's unusual that I feel that way. It's total cognitive dissonance on my part, and I think it's probably just selfishness on my part as I enjoy people not barging past me in shops for the most part and I also love playing and attending gigs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, to quote Alan Partridge, I just hate the general public.

1 minute ago, Andy_K_97 said:

I do, hence why I'm saying that it's unusual that I feel that way. It's total cognitive dissonance on my part, and I think it's probably just selfishness on my part as I enjoy people not barging past me in shops for the most part and I also love playing and attending gigs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, to quote Alan Partridge, I just hate the general public.

Stay out of Primark.  Try Waitrose.

27 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It’s all a game of risk-reward though. People getting in your personal space when you’re in a shop doesn’t add to the experience (if anything it detracts from it), whereas when you’re at a gig, dancing around like a lunatic, hugging people, mosh pits etc are half the fun. Really there’s no benefit (from an individual’s point of view) to not having social distancing measures when shopping whereas at a gig they totally ruin the experience.

The absolute risk is not the only factor to consider. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

It’s all a game of risk-reward though. People getting in your personal space when you’re in a shop doesn’t add to the experience (if anything it detracts from it), whereas when you’re at a gig, dancing around like a lunatic, hugging people, mosh pits etc are half the fun. Really there’s no benefit (from an individual’s point of view) to not having social distancing measures when shopping whereas at a gig they totally ruin the experience.

The absolute risk is not the only factor to consider. 

You come across like one of these people that want everything banned except for the thing they want to do.

Update on your holiday to North Korea Thailand.

The city of Chiang Mai are trying to get in on the money pit.  As from 1st Aug you can visit the lovely northern city. But, you need

• 2 doses of approved vaccine (Pfizer is NOT approved in Thailand)
  • tested on arrival
  • only stay in 4 districts of the city
  • government approved hotel
  • after 7 days you can visit other parts of the city
  • you can only visit government approved attraction  'sealed tours'
  • NO independent travel at ANY time during your stay

See you all soon!

7 hours ago, Michael W said:

There is zero chance that the restrictions will be lifted two weeks later if they are indeed delayed.

We'll have another round of we're in a delicate position and we just don't know  type mewling and that prat Hancock will throw a dart at the map and invent another variant. We'll then have another two week delay where, shock horror, we repeat the same cycle we've been through twenty times already. 

Meanwhile we will just ignore the impact the vaccines continue to have in the most vaccinated country in Europe. It is time to face this one down. 

I think the only hope we have is if the politicians look at the polls and realise they are losing support because of it. Theres obviously been a lot of support coming their way due to the vaccine, but only because it has meant 'vaccine = back to normal life' to most people. Delaying ending restrictions might change that support 

Not linking the Daily Mail cos its a shitrag, but they have a study from America today that finds double dose of Pfizer/Moderna reduces risk of infection (not illness or hospitilisation but infection) by 91%. 

But theres still so much we don't know. Presumably stuff like, will the remain 9% even have any idea they are infected. ShUt tEh FaNzOnEs NiCoLa!"!!!!

20 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

I had a covid conversation with my also fully vaccinated mum last week about her apprehensions on getting back to things like outdoor events and sitting on a train or plane.

"But you've had both vaccines, you're completely safe from becoming unwell, and anyone you wouldn't want to pass it onto (in the family) have had both too. There's nothing to worry about."

"Yeah, but I just really don't want to get covid."

"You get the flu jag, do you carry about your business after that still worrying about becoming unwell if you catch it? Or any other virus?"

"No... but covid's different, I just really don't want to get it."

It makes me want to greet. 

Two of my wife's sisters  and their husbands visited yesterday, the first time they've visited since last year, afair. Fortunately I'm currently working, so was able to excuse myself.

They sat outside in the front garden on various seats - one of the husbands went to visit his sister, to be avoid being collared by our over loquacious neighbour, who is his cousin.

The sun disappeared and it started to get cooler, and my wife eventually persuaded them to sit inside. Now, they've all been double jagged (as has our entire household and half our extended family) but they sat a chair apart and wore face masks. The b-i-l who wasn't here has severe underlying health conditions and would be a dead duck if he caught Covid (as would I) but the vaccinations would give him fantastic protection, but his wife is absolutely terrified of him catching it, even with them being fully vaccinated.

I think it was all a bit ott to be quite honest, I don't think I could have stuck it wearing a face mask anyway, I'm glad I was at work.

There is zero chance that the restrictions will be lifted two weeks later if they are indeed delayed.
We'll have another round of we're in a delicate position and we just don't know  type mewling and that prat Hancock will throw a dart at the map and invent another variant. We'll then have another two week delay where, shock horror, we repeat the same cycle we've been through twenty times already. 
Meanwhile we will just ignore the impact the vaccines continue to have in the most vaccinated country in Europe. It is time to face this one down. 
Pretty much this. They are going to put it off until late September when they expect everyone to be double dosed. The great British summer right enough !

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Boris has f**k it up again.

He has but he was always going to. Anyone with only a passing knowledge of his political career and personal life knows he lets everyone down.

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Two of my wife's sisters  and their husbands visited yesterday, the first time they've visited since last year, afair. Fortunately I'm currently working, so was able to excuse myself.

They sat outside in the front garden on various seats - one of the husbands went to visit his sister, to be avoid being collared by our over loquacious neighbour, who is his cousin.

The sun disappeared and it started to get cooler, and my wife eventually persuaded them to sit inside. Now, they've all been double jagged (as has our entire household and half our extended family) but they sat a chair apart and wore face masks. The b-i-l who wasn't here has severe underlying health conditions and would be a dead duck if he caught Covid (as would I) but the vaccinations would give him fantastic protection, but his wife is absolutely terrified of him catching it, even with them being fully vaccinated.

I think it was all a bit ott to be quite honest, I don't think I could have stuck it wearing a face mask anyway, I'm glad I was at work.

A bit ott? It's fucking insane!

But it's not your families' fault. Everything stems from the bluntness of the message regarding COVID, which has meant people with serious conditions not going into hospital for fear of catching COVID to vaccinated people wearing face masks to talk to each other.

Edited by sparky88

What are the predictions for the fanzone then?

I reckon they'll shit their pants again and it'll be zero alcohol. The Simps will zone in on the English moving the 21st June date for some reason as Scotland continues to lag behind again.

'Five-day office week will become the norm again' - BBC News

Another odd piece from our impartial state broadcaster.

Whats the point of this article? Why is it there? There isn't actually a story to be told there, just a platform for various invested individuals to tell people why working at the office is best for them.........

15 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 hours ago, Michael W said:

Pretty much this. They are going to put it off until late September when they expect everyone to be double dosed. The great British summer right enough !

Firstly you can guarantee that in September there will be a big push for restrictions to cover booster shots. There has already been chat about Pfizer only giving protection to geriatrics for a period of months. 

If this confirmed then it pretty much guarantees a winter lockdown as well. Whatever seasonal respiratory illness pops up this year will be used to justify it.