Coronavirus (COVID-19)

18 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Israel in apartheid shocker. Didnt ever see that one coming from a country as abhorrent as Israel. Saying that I imagine quite a few people in the UK would agree with their sentiment 

Doesn't say anything about them not going to the mosque, though.

19 hours ago, ulysses said:

IMG_2148.jpg

6 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

That post you've quoted is quite possibly the stupidest thing said by anyone in this thread. And there is a lot of competition for that accolade.

A lot of it from that same poster, tbf.

6 hours ago, 101 said:

Thier border controls did allow for the easy deportation of Katie Hopkins so it's not all bad news.

It is if she's being deported back here.

ETA: @hk blues See the source image

Edited by Jacksgranda

18 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Just hearing from friends in Texas they are going to level orange which is mandated masks but the governor has said on the news this morning that he thinks masks may not be necessary

Texas' big team found

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Where’s all this 100k per day they were predicting?

Even the media keep reporting out of date figures.

I suppose editors love ‘doom and gloom’.

Editor's love sensationalism. 

If a group of nutcase scientists got together and said 'nobody will ever die again from Covid', it would be splashed on the front pages.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Where’s all this 100k per day they were predicting?

Even the media keep reporting out of date figures.

I suppose editors love ‘doom and gloom’.

Javid came out with it to stop cabinet colleagues demanding another lockdown if it hit 50,000 , after unanimously approving the policy. 

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As has been pointed out to you by someone with a bit of insight, 'blended learning' is in reality a nonsense idea in a school context.  It's not really something that exists beyond its name.

How would you know, given that you haven't actually applied it? And previously conflated it with 'distance learning' which is not the same thing.

This year's school results will be better than is usually the case which does indeed undermine their worth.  They have been arrived at, however, via generally more rigorous processes than were evident last year. 

That'll depend on whether the SQA have the stones to mark down dodgy schools' homework at the end. 

This renders the 'back of a fag packet' characterisation a bit silly, even if a lack of consistency across schools is likely to be an issue.

When a lack of consistency applies to the time, preparation and amount of times certain schools are churning out tests, that's a major issue for the credibility of results. 

39 minutes ago, virginton said:

1. How would you know, given that you haven't actually applied it? And previously conflated it with 'distance learning' which is not the same thing.

2. That'll depend on whether the SQA have the stones to mark down dodgy schools' homework at the end. 

3. When a lack of consistency applies to the time, preparation and amount of times certain schools are churning out tests, that's a major issue for the credibility of results. 

1.  Something very much like it was applied in March this year.  It was about lip service and nobody was well served by it.

2.  The issue this year should have less to do with schools wildly inflating performance by making generous inferences about it.  Rather, it'll be about the conditions of assessment, as encouraged by the SQA, being kinder.  The marks should be more genuine in their own terms than we saw last year.  However, they're still likely to be well up on pre-Covid years.  The SQA, whether equipped with stones or otherwise, will not be marking anyone down this year.  They've said as much.

3. As I said, there are issues attached to consistency and they constitute problems regarding credibility.  Again though, I don't think the 'back of a fag packet' characterisation was accurate. 

You seem under the impression that it's a broadly similar situation to last year.  It's not.  That's not to say it's absolutely fine because that's not true either.  Attainment must be evidenced this year, however, in a way that wasn't required last year.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

27 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

1.  Something very much like it was applied in March this year.  It was about lip service and nobody was well served by it.

So not actually an application of a coherently planned blended learning model then, but rather a back of a fag packet device put together at a week's notice.

Colour me shocked that this did not lead to effective learning! 

2.  The issue this year should have less to do with schools wildly inflating performance by making generous inferences about it.  Rather, it'll be about the conditions of assessment, as encouraged by the SQA, being kinder.  The marks should be more genuine in their own terms than we saw last year.  However, they're still likely to be well up on pre-Covid years.  The SQA, whether equipped with stones or otherwise, will not be marking anyone down this year.  They've said as much.

3. As I said, there are issues attached to consistency and they constitute problems regarding credibility.  Again though, I don't think the 'back of a fag packet' characterisation was accurate. 

You seem under the impression that it's a broadly similar situation to last year.  It's not.  That's not to say it's absolutely fine because that's not true either.  Attainment must be evidenced this year, however, in a way that wasn't required last year.  

I'm well aware that the conditions are not the same as last year. The outcome however will likely be very similar: a set of joke results compared to those before 2020, and widespread tears and snotters from those who feel disadvantaged next month. Providing evidence does not make the results any more credible, when the conditions for collecting that evidence are not the same at every centre. 

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average 488.0  to 497.1 up 1.86%, England 529.1 to 540.0 up 2.25%, Wales  210.6 to 207.4 down 1.52, Northern Ireland  374.6 to 401.2 up 7.09%

39,906 to 36,389 cases & 84 to 64 deaths.

As per yesterday looks to be peaking in England & maybe now on the decline Wales.  Just out of control  in Northern Ireland which has  doubled in last 6 days. 

I think less restrictions actually mean more safe behaviour in terms of the spread.

Midlothian number 1 in Scotland is number 141st council  in the UK from 130th yesterday.

The lowest rate of infection currently in any English council is in Suffolk with a rate of 287.6 cases per 100K.  That would place as 2nd top in Scotland.

Redcar & Cleveland is at a staggering 1,546.5