Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm a bit puzzled by your choice of words here.

When you say "clients", do you mean "convicted criminals"?

I formally worked for a UK Government department (everyone's favourite one) and taxpayers were to be referred to as customers. 

Reading about Sydney it must be awful to be there right now. Their rules are very much like our first Lockdown and I cannot imagine going into that again. Not only that, they've been in lockdown for weeks and look like they'll be in a lockdown until Christmas. 

I know fortunes of politicians and nations have changed over time. Last Autumn Johnson was on the ropes and Starmer was gaining traction with the incompetence message. Vaccines reversed that. Last year Australia looked to have bossed their response with many restrictions lifted. Now their utterly pisspoor vaccine roll out and  bonkers zero covid strategy have left them deep in the hole. 

Just now, Michael W said:

I formally worked for a UK Government department (everyone's favourite one) and taxpayers were to be referred to as customers. 

My dad was a policeman. He always called the folk he arrested his customers too.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I blame Tony Blair for this type of spin.

Can't remember it happening so much before he came into power but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Serious question - what’s wrong with the language?

The punishment we levy in this country is the restriction of liberty.  What you call someone once that liberty has been restricted is not part of the punishment, and if using “clients” allows a certain dignity (and mindset in the Prison Officers) that would otherwise be lacking, I see no issue with that.

Starmer talking bollocks again.

I can see a case for vaccine passports, alongside testing, when it comes to big sporting events or mass events, certainly for international travel. But for day-to-day routine - access to the office, access to health services or dentistry or even food - I don’t agree with vaccine passports for day-to-day access

tenor.gif?itemid=4169547

8 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Serious question - what’s wrong with the language?

The punishment we levy in this country is the restriction of liberty.  What you call someone once that liberty has been restricted is not part of the punishment, and if using “clients” allows a certain dignity (and mindset in the Prison Officers) that would otherwise be lacking, I see no issue with that.

It’s just the usual pc nonsense.

In my book, a client is someone paying voluntarily for a professional service.

Convicts are people being deprived of their liberty by the state because they have carried out a misdemeanour against society.

I just think the word ‘client’ is wrong in this context.

A prison sentence should be a combination of punishment, education and rehabilitation.

3 hours ago, GiGi said:

Fully pfizered. Good of the guy to tell me as I was leaving that delta variant is 'ripping through' my age group and people are still being hospitalised after both doses. 

Really glad I came down now mate.

Hope you thanked him for his alarmist nonsense, but then proceeded to tell him that ultimately Covid is now the same level of risk as any other shan virus we have always accepted living with.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Some more disgraceful, fear-mongering journalism at work:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/30/covid-infections-rising-england-despite-fall-daily-reported-cases

Oh no, clearly there must be an issue with the reported cases then - the ONS says so!

Except that, erm, all of the above claims turn out to be utter bollocks:

So The Guardian has gone with a shrieking headline and bullshit claims at the top of the article, while burying the critical context for the figures beneath, all to drive the deepest fears of their own wee echo chamber of lockdown-obsessed lunatics. 

The Guardian is literally in the gutter now along with The Sun, etc. These clowns still don't realise the week-on-week trends are what matter.

51 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Never one to miss an opportunity, here is one of the iSAGE media personalities doubling down on it. 

He is an absolute slaver and conveniently forgets Scotland's data as well, which is ahead of the curve.

5 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Convicts are people being deprived of their liberty by the state because they have carried out a misdemeanour against society.

A prison sentence should be a combination of punishment, education and rehabilitation.

Agreed that a prison sentence should be a combination of punishment, education and rehabilitation:

1. The punishment is the restriction of liberty.  No more

2.. Education and rehabilitation - is this assisted by referring to them as “criminals” or “clients”?  Unless you are suggesting that they don’t know they committed a crime (which is why they are in prison) in which case, education might be in point. 

Edited by Wee Bully

Excellent UK cases update:   Northern Ireland's 2 days of drops short lasted.

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  353.5 to 333.1 down 5.77%, England 375.2 to 351.8 down 6.24%, Wales 165.9 to 163.4 down 1.51%, Northern Ireland  509.9 to 512.2  Up 0.45%

So that's the UK down for 6 days in a row.  Scotland 24 days, Wales 8 days, England 6 days and Northern Ireland 0 days

Highest in UK now down to 797.3 from 861.8 (Middlesborough)

Belfast up to 3rd.

27 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I don't know if it's still the case but the official jargon in social care was service users for the people they were helping, such an ugly phrase. I asked why they couldn't be called clients and the person I asked seemed to think it would make the people seem too important or some bollocks.

7 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

If the post is horrible that's only because the situation is horrible. You might think just making up rules on the hoof because a sad story happened and it made you feel all tingly and sad in your tum-tum is a good idea, i don't.  And I question the motives of pretty much everyone jumping on this story and humping the sad tears out of it like a pubescent cocker spaniel disgracing himself with his favourite blanket. 

No one mentioned making up rules “on the hoof” However there should quite clearly be an agreed protocol for situations like this, and it should be nothing like what this girl is being put through. 

The motives? Having some actual human decency, but politics is of course more important than that. 

As for the rest, pile of condescending pish. 

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

How does patronising them by calling them "clients" helping anyone?

Why don't we go the whole hog and call them Doctors or Knights of the Realm?

We may as well, those names are just as accurate as using "client".

I would use the word "inmate".

Inmate - yes, okay.

My first thought would be convict - noun of convicted but maybe that’s a bit old fashioned.

35 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Looks like the Scottish government are "making up rules on the hoof because a sad story happened"

They care so much, it's lovely to see.