Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1,525 new cases of COVID-19 reported  (1498 yesterday, 1381 one week ago)

31,832 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

5.2% of these were positive  (5.0% yesterday, 4.9% one week ago)

8 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (10 yesterday, 11 one week ago)

42 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (no change from yesterday, 55 one week ago)

356 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (no change from yesterday, 381 one week ago)

4,039,226 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,393,900 have received their second dose

Always wary of no change in connected numbers such as ICU and total hospital numbers but seems genuine. The numbers in the various heath boards do show some variation from yesterday but overall totals unchanged.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Today's numbers

Scottish numbers: 12 August 2021

Summary

• 1,525 new cases of COVID-19 reported
  • 31,832 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results
    • 5.2% of these were positive
  • 8 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive
  • 42 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 356 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19
  • 4,039,226 people have received the first dose of the Covid vaccination and 3,393,900 have received their second dose

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Cases up, everything else just about the same. 

Just imagine how much worse it would be without face masks.

Cases up a little but % of positive tests largely unchanged and importantly at a low level around the 5% mark. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Daily Cases Update:  Day 6 in a row of case rises up 2% to 158.8  Cases will rise again tomorrow.

Is this our 4th wave of infection ? Well cases reported for yesterday 1,525 and day before 1,498 which if taken on average point to a 23% increase up to around 190 cases per 100K within a week to 10 days.  The amount of tests currently is staggering at over 30K per day.

Dumfries central still has case rates of 1,100 per 100K.  Quite odd as they sit at 95% 1st jabbed and 80% fully jabbed.  Must all be Tory Face Lickers.

Figures for Jags  1st Vaccines excellent  4,941 to 4,806 so still holding up via the 16-17 year olds. This also takes us over 90% of adults.   2nd vaccines up from  17,721 to 18,376

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 3rd August to 9th August were 8,511 now 8,680 up 1.99%, Positivity was 5.9% now 5.9%.  Cases per 100K were 155.7 now 158.8  

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  282.2 to 285.1 up 1.03%, England  296.6 to 299.2 up 0.88%, Wales 150.4 to 153.8 up 2.26%, Northern Ireland   454.0 to 464.0 up 2.64%

In Europe for travellers   France 245.9 to 249.1, Spain 256.8 to 246.5,  Ireland 221.6 to 233.6, Greece 196.5 to 202.4, Portugal 158.3 to 155.8, These are still the only main countries over 115 cases per 100K  Been these countries for weeks.  Only country surging/approaching from lower levels is Switzerland at 107.4 up 63% in last week.

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

East Lothian 253.9 to 264.1 

South Lanarkshire  217.9 to 226.0 

North Ayrshire  220.5 to 221.2  8th day in a row of rises.

West Dunbartonshire 202.6 to 218.5 

North Lanarkshire  219.0 to 214.0  

Fife   185.5 to 194.6  

Dumfries & Galloway  182.3 to 180.7  

East Renfrewshire   164.5 to 167.6

Midlothian   165.3 to 163.2 

City Of Edinburgh   153.1 to 157.3

Inverclyde   160.9 to 157.0  

Glasgow City  150.4 to 155.1

Renfrewshire  146.6 to 153.9

Highlands  150.8 to 149.5

East Ayrshire   146.4 to 148.8

Scottish  Borders  146.7 to 145.8

Stirling   139.2 to 144.6

South Ayrshire  132.9 to 144.5

West Lothian  147.4 to 141.4

Aberdeenshire   124.2 to 129.6 

East Dunbartonshire  120.5 to 126.9

Clackmannanshire 93.6 to 126.7

Argyll & Bute   127.6 to 125.2

Falkirk    121.4 to 123.3

Dundee City  117.6 to 118.3 

Aberdeen City  119.6 to 109.6

Perth & Kinross   92.8 to 98.7

Angus   92.4 to 88.9   

Moray   79.4 to 80.5 

Shetland Islands   56.8 to 65.6

Orkney Islands  44.6 to 49.1

Western Isles    52.8 to 49.1  

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

The Governments of the UK have been very fortunate that the weather has been excellent for the most part this summer, otherwise people wouldn't be quite so content.

I also believe that the message is starting to get through to the general public that we're the only ones requiring these tests and many are starting to believe (rightly or wrongly) that the main reason is financial gain and cronyism as opposed to any public health reason. I mean, this was the same band of charlatans that were encouraging Indians in without issue when the rest of the world had them on the most dangerous list due to the new variant over there, so it didn't seem to be an issue then, but then again folk going to Tenerife for a week aren't begging for a trade deal.

Give it a few weeks of wet and windy weather and see if folk are still quite content to sacrifice their week or two in the Canaries / Algarve / Costa Del Sol to either sit in the house staring out at the wind and rain or trading it for a few days of misery to Aviemore or Blackpool where they'll be over paying by hundreds of pounds for the privilege.

I really do feel the Government totally underestimate the value that a large proportion of society place on a foreign holiday (especially with our climate) and I'm also sure that this will be having a very serious effect on their popularity both at UK and Scottish levels, hopefully pressure will continue to grow until they come to their senses and let's just hope that it's in time to save the aviation sector which is being crucified by the day...

I enjoy my overseas trips as much as anyone, but I have no intention, none whatsoever, in booking anything abroad until at least the middle of 2022. From the e-mailed correspondence I have received from those businesses I am subscribed to receiving such things from - a few airlines, hotel chains, etc, the message remains the same. The message comes at me assuming the reason I won’t want to travel is because I’m shit scared of catching Covid 19 if I do. Everything is ‘we know you may be unsure about flying in these times, but rest assured, we’ve sanitised the fcuk out of our aircraft, and our cabin crew will be in full PPE looking like they’ve captured E.T. and are experimenting on him before he phones home’.

Hotels are the same - ‘we know you maybe… blah, blah, are scared shitless, blah, blah, but we’ve introduced a thorough deep clean of everything, we’ve ditched the breakfast buffet, we won’t come into your room to make it up unless asked, our staff are dipped in ultra-strong Mr Muscle lavvy cleaner before each shift, blah, blah…

No, no, thrice no, that is NOT the reason I don’t want to risk going abroad. I’d go tomorrow, the reason I don’t want to go is government rules, tests, the fact it is unlikely to feel normal. The fact you need to book a breakfast slot or a time to go to the hotel pool. Facemasks, hoops to jump through, the fact that the government could invent an amber or red rating for wherever I was. The fact a test could throw up a false positive..

Everyone, and I do mean everyone I know in my circle of family and friends is the same. They aren’t scared of catching covid. They just cannot be arsed spending a lot of money until a far more normal overall travel experience is pretty much assured, without the fcukers in Westminster or Holyrood sticking their neb’ in.

I don’t know why the default position of these businesses is that we’re staying put in huge numbers because we’re scared to death.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Depending on supply that day I think. Tbh its dead easy to reschedule it on the website.

Not for me as there are zero appointments showing as available on any date, so because I’m scheduled in for 8 weeks on the dot and can’t walk in earlier, I have no option but to miss the appointment and walk in on a later date.

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I enjoy my overseas trips as much as anyone, but I have no intention, none whatsoever, in booking anything abroad until at least the middle of 2022. From the e-mailed correspondence I have received from those businesses I am subscribed to receiving such things from - a few airlines, hotel chains, etc, the message remains the same. The message comes at me assuming the reason I won’t want to travel is because I’m shit scared of catching Covid 19 if I do. Everything is ‘we know you may be unsure about flying in these times, but rest assured, we’ve sanitised the fcuk out of our aircraft, and our cabin crew will be in full PPE looking like they’ve captured E.T. and are experimenting on him before he phones home’.

Hotels are the same - ‘we know you maybe… blah, blah, are scared shitless, blah, blah, but we’ve introduced a thorough deep clean of everything, we’ve ditched the breakfast buffet, we won’t come into your room to make it up unless asked, our staff are dipped in ultra-strong Mr Muscle lavvy cleaner before each shift, blah, blah…

No, no, thrice no, that is NOT the reason I don’t want to risk going abroad. I’d go tomorrow, the reason I don’t want to go is government rules, tests, the fact it is unlikely to feel normal. The fact you need to book a breakfast slot or a time to go to the hotel pool. Facemasks, hoops to jump through, the fact that the government could invent an amber or red rating for wherever I was. The fact a test could throw up a false positive..

Everyone, and I do mean everyone I know in my circle of family and friends is the same. They aren’t scared of catching covid. They just cannot be arsed spending a lot of money until a far more normal overall travel experience is pretty much assured, without the fcukers in Westminster or Holyrood sticking their neb’ in.

I don’t know why the default position of these businesses is that we’re staying put in huge numbers because we’re scared to death.

Would prefer they were dipped in super tropical bleach to be on the safe side.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Not for me as there are zero appointments showing as available on any date, so because I’m scheduled in for 8 weeks on the dot and can’t walk in earlier, I have no option but to miss the appointment and walk in on a later date.

Not the first time I’ve heard this. They seem to be telling people who can’t make it to their appointment that there’s no more appointments available and to do a walk in instead.

Which would be fine if every vaccination centre took walk-ins, but they don’t. So in effect it’s just making it more difficult for people to get to them, especially if you don’t drive.

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

62% of Todd's total forum posts have come in this thread. A Main Player that nobody saw coming. 

Nobody knew who he was until he took off the (Covid) mask

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That was a third of that list that got binned when it got posted hahaha

Sayonara brother it's been a pleasure

19 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ah that's not good, hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later

43 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I'm in the same boat as you, i'm not worried about catching covid , i just don't want to bother going abroad for 1. the extra hassle associated with travel & 2. i don't want to spend money just to experience another countries version of lockdown level system. As far as i'm aware most of the Mediterranean  countries are still  insisting  on facemasks outdoors as well as indoors & actually have enforcement of said rule. That and having to book everything and abide by social distancing to me aint a holiday so i'd rather just wait 

52 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Dumfries central still has case rates of 1,100 per 100K.  Quite odd as they sit at 95% 1st jabbed and 80% fully jabbed.  Must all be Tory Face Lickers.

Or how many are testing themselves despite showing no symptoms then following up with a positive PCR test?

Obviously if the PCR test is positive then yes, they are a genuine case. But there has to come a point where the vaccines allow us not to bother actively seeking out asymptomatic infections.

25 minutes ago, The Master said:

Or how many are testing themselves despite showing no symptoms then following up with a positive PCR test?

Obviously if the PCR test is positive then yes, they are a genuine case. But there has to come a point where the vaccines allow us not to bother actively seeking out asymptomatic infections.

I was in Rhodes at the start of July and there was no outside facemasks (the hotel staff did but it wasn't government mandate) and although you were still meant to wear them indoors, plenty of people didn't bother and no-one was pulled up about it apart from in the buffet restaurant. 

Mind you, when I was there, they were getting something like 6 cases a day but now they're over 100 a day. Maybe I was the super spreader. 😀

17 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Walking through the city centre in Edinburgh earlier today and noticed there is still some queuing systems outside of some shops. 

No reason for any of these shops to stick to daft rules like this when social distancing is gone. 

Dropped into a sandwich shop in Leith to pick up my lunch today. I was the only customer in the shop, and while I was waiting on my filled roll and coffee, a woman (who was clearly in the double vaccinated demographic) hovered around outside the shop masked-up, pointedly waiting for me to exit before crossing the threshold. I had to go through the palaver of leaving the shop and hanging around outside while she got served, then coming back in after she’d left to collect my order. Even before social distancing was ditched they were allowing more than one person in the shop at a time. I get the feeling it’ll be some time before certain sectors of the populace adjust to the fact that social distancing has been jettisoned.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I'm in the same boat as you, however I've no option as regards "booking holidays" as it's still the ones from last year that I'm having to keep moving or will lose the lot !!

I 100% agree though, the actual covid is not an issue, it's the UK / Scottish Gov restrictions, the hassle and cost of testing and the potential for disaster if proving positive while abroad.