Coronavirus (COVID-19)

42 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

That’s really interesting.  Where did you get those stats?

NRS publish stats on deaths in Scotland.  As far as I’m aware they only publish it by week and not by day.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/weekly-monthly-births-deaths-data/2021/jul/weekly-july-21-tab2.xlsx

Saying 150 deaths per day on average in Scotland is reasonable.

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

NRS publish stats on deaths in Scotland.  As far as I’m aware they only publish it by week and not by day.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//statistics/weekly-monthly-births-deaths-data/2021/jul/weekly-july-21-tab2.xlsx

Saying 150 deaths per day on average in Scotland is reasonable.

Very useful, thank you. 

So, looking at that table, overall deaths were higher in the July in 2021 than 2020.

As such, and going back to the whole point of the last page, without knowing case numbers there would be nothing to show that vaccines are having any impact whatsoever.  I believe it was @oaksoft who claimed that deaths and hospitalisations were the only stats we needed to show that vaccines were working.  This is patently incorrect, as those two data points would suggest the opposite  

17 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Very useful, thank you. 

So, looking at that table, overall deaths were higher in the July in 2021 than 2020.

As such, and going back to the whole point of the last page, without knowing case numbers there would be nothing to show that vaccines are having any impact whatsoever.  I believe it was @oaksoft who claimed that deaths and hospitalisations were the only stats we needed to show that vaccines were working.  This is patently incorrect, as those two data points would suggest the opposite  

I’d disagree simply because you’re using only 2 variables.  A third variable (NPI’s such as indoor mixing) you’re completely ignoring

NPI’s prevented deaths pre-vaccine.  What other conclusion can you draw about vaccines when you factor in the NPI’s that were in place?

If I wanted to pick specific data points to draw a conclusion I could say that mask wearing was made compulsory in early July last year so based on those same data points wearing masks has made things worse.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Deaths and hospitalisations as a direct result of covid.

Please don't misrepresent my posts.

I don’t need to.

Were deaths and hospitalisations “as a direct result of COVID” higher in August 2020 or August 2021?

24 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

🙃🙃🙃

While the Government said it was not “planning a lockdown or firebreak around the October half term”, a spokesman added that it “retains contingency plans as part of responsible planning for a range of scenarios, but such measures would only be re-introduced as a last resort to prevent unsustainable pressure on the NHS.”

PoliticsForAli posting clickbait discourse generating bullshit?

Imagine my shock.

8 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

Very useful, thank you. 

Very much the Elephant in the room. 

8 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

Were deaths and hospitalisations “as a direct result of COVID” higher in August 2020 or August 2021?

Honestly, with the definitions of what a covid hospitalisation or death as they currently are, it's impossible to say with 100% certainty whether the answer to that question is yes or no.

From a "course of the pandemic" point of view, or from the point of view of trying to show how well the vaccines work, being recorded as a hospitalisation because you test positive regardless of whether you are being treated for covid or even have any symptoms and "deaths from any cause within 28 days of a positive test" are not that useful statistics.

It's something that continues to infuriate me about our journalists - they have bi-weekly opportunities to ask questions directly to NS, but all they seem to be interested in is "When can we get another lockdown?"

Janey Godley's back catalogue of tweets is incredible tbh.

Her hypocritical fans, of course, ignore this as she's "pyoor dead brilliant" for doing a few shite voiceovers.

Hiring her for a Public Information advert is huge faux pas from the SG.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Janey Godley's back catalogue of tweets is incredible tbh.

Her hypocritical fans, of course, ignore this as she's "pyoor dead brilliant" for doing a few shite voiceovers.

Hiring her for a Public Information advert is huge faux pas from the SG.

Agreed - hiring someone with that history of tweets (and those terms) in a public health arena is criminal.

Someone needs their arse kicked for that one.

24 minutes ago, RiG said:

Godley is spectacularly unfunny but are some of these historical tweets not meant to be photoshopped?

Certainly not the s****y tweets. 

There was also a, rather bizarre, moment involving 50 cent 😂

20210907_094427.jpg

20210907_094417.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God