Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ever thought they wouldn’t get half as much criticism if they weren’t an absolutely shite coalition of cowboys? 
I agree they get it in the neck from the unionist press, but that should make them work harder to get it up them not come across as a shower of diddies. 

The SNP could find a cure for cancer and the Unionist press would still publish articles about them putting doctors and nurses out of work .

That's a fact. 

By the way, I'm only replying to the statement that the SNP somehow get an easy ride from the Scottish media. They don't. 

Don't get that confused with me defending parts of their record. I said yesterday on another thread that under any normal circumstances, they should be in opposition  by now.

23 minutes ago, Left Back said:

We announced our vaccine passport a couple of weeks ago and we're still only doing a risible 6000 vaccines a day, even after adding the 12-15 cohort to the people able to get vaccinated.  Doesn't seem to me like they're driving uptake here.

We already have over 90% of adults vaxxed. Quite remarkable uptake that not many would have forseen a year ago. Those who are left will never be convinced.

Edited by Elixir

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Two of the most prominent posters on this thread made unequivocal statements a few nights ago that 'long covid does not exist' .

Regardless of that, I'm glad that we agree that this post vital fatigue does indeed exist, and that the numbers and extent of it are as yet unknown. 

oh come on you should know by now - they are called Main Players.......

8 hours ago, virginton said:

That you don't recognise that the fourth wave of a respiratory virus pandemic might temporarily curtail such close, regular contact for your precious wee flower is beyond me in terms of entitlement. 

I suspect that there's probably something wrong with you.

8 hours ago, virginton said:

That you don't recognise that the fourth wave of a respiratory virus pandemic might temporarily curtail such close, regular contact for your precious wee flower is beyond me in terms of entitlement. 

I don’t think you need to worry about close contact with anyone; regular or irregular.

Maybe if you had such contact you wouldn’t be such an arsehole.

16 minutes ago, Elixir said:

We already have over 90% of adults vaxxed. Quite remarkable uptake that not many would have forseen a year ago. Those who are left will never be convinced.

Agreed.  Another reason for introducing vaccine passports in Scotland shown to be a waste of time then.

I think it's the "Oh bless, she's feeling a bit tired after bit of the sniffles" sneers about a virus that can cause extensive multiple organ damage, that are ignorant. It's hopefully rare, but writing off everyone with it as malingerers is dumb, as it would be for people who didn't fully recover from other viral infections. We don't have enough data yet to know how common long term effects are for people who have the cheek not die or fully recover from Covid.

Edited by welshbairn

27 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

After yesterday's nonsense where you destroyed your own credibility by posting a series of papers you clearly hadn't bothered your arse to read, I'm surprised you are still persisting with this.

It's a free forum though so fill yer boots.

well you sure showed me up with alll your evidence...

Just now, oaksoft said:

I didn't need to.

So many other people pulled apart those research papers you posted that my input wasn't needed.

I'd have only been repeating what they were saying to you.

Got no problem with people holding a different view to me but you really did make an arse of that last night.

Not one person did.

virginton, instead of engaging with the article went on a rant about how it was only an opinion, someone tried to discredit the lancet due to the MMR scandal and someone else accused me of having a financial interest in masks.

There was the guy who highlighted the word "could" in one paper, that was of course only one of several papers that have reached the same conclusion.

So how about being like the Nordic nations by binning vaccine passports, masks, general Covid theatre and not encouraging curtain twitching behaviours by default. Oh, and discriminatory border policies too.

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

So how about being like the Nordic nations by binning vaccine passports, masks, general Covid theatre and not encouraging curtain twitching behaviours by default.

You might not have noticed, but afaik the Nordic nations are all under 50/100,000 now, and we're still over 500. And most of them have been strict about masks and vaccine passports. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

She isn't eating chocolate any more, which she is pleased at. 

Maybe best not to tell her this, but my brother in law caught some viral thing about 25 years ago, and hasn't tasted a thing since. Still does a fair stab at cooking though, probably because he has to check the recipe ingredients a bit more closely. 

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Absolutely fair questions to ask.  It is a numbers game.

I am teaching 2 classes this semester. One is a fairly small class with two scheduled classes in it, and as such I can offer students a weekly time to come in (either a Tuesday or a Wednesday). My other class is massive (over 400 students) and a room that can take 50, once a week. For this class I have asked students for their availability via a doodle poll and make a weekly rota from that. Students will be lucky to be in twice a semester for that class. Most will only be in once. On Monday I had 50 in the room with me and the rest joining using Collaborate Ultra. 

These restrictions come mostly from the government. They have asked universities to keep distancing and very restrictive class sizes (typically 20% of a room capacity). As such the room where I teach 50 students can actually 'take' many times as much. I taught this morning to 18 students in a room that, 2 years ago, I taught 75 in.

We have a number of students who say they are staying off campus completely, studying remotely. This means more chances for other students to come on to campus. 

The union is largely useless here. Like the EIS for schools they are pushing an agenda of keeping their members safe by increasing restrictions, and having more online and less in person. I stopped being a member of the union years ago. 

What I will say is that the online classes are not a bad substitute. In learning terms it can be just as good, or better. It is the social interactions that students and staff miss. I find it far, far easier to speak to a room with people in it. Students like it better also. I would also say that students in your daughter's year were hit the hardest as they had no uni experience in their first year, just relentless and endless online classes which really hurt the students over a whole year. 

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose the bit about "restrictions coming mostly from the government" basically answers my question.

Again though, it seems to differ so wildly from what's required in other sectors, that it's difficult to understand.

Teaching unions have indeed displayed an unseemly fixation with members' safety, but they've been much less successful in winning the day, or even in representing opinion.  Teachers may have had misgivings about returning in August '20 or March '21, but I think nearly all recognised that it was necessary and desirable that they did.

Obviously, there will be a huge range of opinions and approaches among lecturers, but it is surprising to me that plenty apparently lack the professional pride to wish to do their jobs fully and properly.

I'm grateful here for the replies I've received from people with insight.  They've helped clarify things.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

We have a LC "sufferer" at work who was never aware she had Covid. She went to her Dr with a string of complaints and he told her she had LC despite never once suffering any of the recognised symptoms of C19. It's situation like this that give PVF/ME/LC a bad rep.

Sounds like doctors at their "best" with PVF. When I went I got all manner of blood tests etc done and when they all came back negative I was told it was post viral fatigue. It's the easy answer when everything else has been tried and tested

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I suspect that there's probably something wrong with you.

Not half as wrong as a snippy parent questioning the professionalism of university lecturers because your child isn't in a physical classroom this instant.