Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Update:

'Plan B' sure working wonders on the continent right now!

But I thought those Europeans were much better at following government advice than us Scots.

Are they selfish arseholes now too, then? Or might it just be the case that vaccine passports (and our beloved masks) simply don't work...

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

But I thought those Europeans were much better at following government advice than us Scots.

Are they selfish arseholes now too, then? Or might it just be the case that vaccine passports (and our beloved masks) simply don't work...

It's almost as if the entire pantomime discourse of the pandemic is now unraveling before our very eyes for all to see. The Psycho Brigade are now absolutely in the mud, it's just such a shame that Scots will have to put up with it all through the winter for precisely no net benefit.

Went to a gig last night. First properly busy indoor event I’ve been to since 2019. Not sure what the rules were supposed to be but no masks at all which was glorious. Did get the vaccine passports checked on the way in, and when first opening the app it said my vaccine status was no longer valid. Was about to explode but luckily closing the app down and reopening it brought my QR code up.

Have to say though that I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to get Covid within the next few days. It’s the worst environment possible for transmission with hundreds of people pressed together all shouting along to the songs. 

If the masks and vaccine passports don't work (which clearly they do not given record cases), what does Germany do next - start banning/limiting private gatherings, shut things down again? There are no other avenues open to them.

The SG basically has the same choice, here, although granted Scotland is not currently facing its highest caseload. I'm sure the gormless Swinney will be told to announce the vaccine passports must be extended first, just days after telling everyone they have no benefit. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a sense of rinse and repeat. 

CLOSE THE SCHOOLS

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

If the masks and vaccine passports don't work (which clearly they do not given record cases), what does Germany do next - start banning/limiting private gatherings, shut things down again? There are no other avenues open to them.

The SG basically has the same choice, here, although granted Scotland is not currently facing its highest caseload. I'm sure the gormless Swinney will be told to announce the vaccine passports must be extended first, just days after telling everyone they have no benefit. 

Reveal hidden contents

CLOSE THE SCHOOLS

if you need restrictions like the ones you mention when vaccine coverage is as high as it is, then when do you ever get out of them?

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Reveal hidden contents

CLOSE THE SCHOOLS

Nobody has claimed masks and vaccine passports work 100%, the question is how much worse the numbers would be without them, if at all. As a dedicated simp I should point out that Swinney didn't say vaccine passports didn't work, just that it was impossible to extrapolate the numbers either way with so many other factors in play. By the way Germany's case rate is still about half ours. If our case rates and hospitalisations stay fairly steady I'm not expecting more restrictions and it wouldn't surprise me if they drop the domestic passports in the next month or so, any influence on vaccine uptake must be dwindling away to zero fairly soon and they seem a bit pointless as a transmission control, especially with so few venues requiring them.

29 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

He's another computational guy floundering around trying to explain differences between models and the real world rather than admitting the models are wrong. Apparently we're supposed to have seen a sharp increase in cases by now. Utter nonsense.

He's no more credible than any other scientist I'm afraid.

I think he is very pragmatic, tbh. He acknowledges that everyone is going to get it and the disease burden will continue to decrease over time with repeat infections. He also supported reopening, hasn't called for any further measures, and suspected cases would fall like they are.

25 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That is pretty much exactly what Boris Johnson said months ago.

The man is a clown but he was correct about that.

One thing the UK Government have nailed on was getting vaccines into arms before the EU so we could open up in summer and have our exit wave then rather than in autumn/winter. Of course, clowns like Starmer called it reckless and Sturgeon's hand was forced, though she naturally delayed by a few weeks.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody has claimed masks and vaccine passports work 100%, the question is how much worse the numbers would be without them, if at all. As a dedicated simp I should point out that Swinney didn't say vaccine passports didn't work, just that it was impossible to extrapolate the numbers either way with so many other factors in play. By the way Germany's case rate is still about half ours. If our case rates and hospitalisations stay fairly steady I'm not expecting more restrictions and it wouldn't surprise me if they drop the domestic passports in the next month or so, any influence on vaccine uptake must be dwindling away to zero fairly soon and they seem a bit pointless as a transmission control, especially with so few venues requiring them.

'Just imagine how much worse it could have been without these measures!'

Pitiful.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Facing a heavily-vaccinated population and yet reaching record infection numbers shows pretty clearly they are not effective measures. The benefit, if there is one, is marginal. I don't know how vaccinated Germany is against the UK, but if it is lower it will be by a couple of percentage points and no more. Maybe it's higher now, I don't know.

There is also a side point here that the vaccine efficacy was wildly overblown in the trials, although that was always going to be the case when there were numbers of other measures in place at the time as well as well as less covid going around. However, the vaccines have had a profound impact on reducing serious cases and deaths and have meant we've been able to tolerate these numbers on an ongoing basis. In general past, these case numbers lead to a number of increasingly severe restrictions being implemented. However the narrative seems stuck on numbers for some reason and I don't think that's the right way to keep looking at it. We are stuck with the virus and are all going to get it at some point, probably several times over the course of our lives.

For what it's worth, ICU numbers in Germany are almost double the UK despite the lower case numbers and have been for a couple of months.

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

For what it's worth, ICU numbers in Germany are almost double the UK despite the lower case numbers and have been for a couple of months.

I forgot to pick up on this. Welshbairn absolutely hates to discount that the UK is testing far more than these countries. Also, the fact places like Germany will have had less people exposed previously to natural infection will certainly worsen the current situation.

I forgot to pick up on this. Welshbairn absolutely hates to discount that the UK is testing far more than these countries. Also, the fact places like Germany will have had less people exposed previously to natural infection will certainly worsen the current situation.
I'm not sure about that. Plenty gatherings happening (non official) where there's no face masks in sight.

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

No idea if this is a like for like comparison.  Germany have almost 5 times as many ICU beds per capita as the UK.  They could be firing people into ICU with a lower threshold of illness than us.  I have no idea whether they are or aren't.  Merely speculating.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2020/03/12/the-countries-with-the-most-critical-care-beds-per-capita-infographic/

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do you mean here or in Germany?

7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Do you mean here or in Germany?

Here. It's a half arsed measure that has very little political or public support, and if its intention was to boost vaccination any waverers would have done it by now.