Coronavirus (COVID-19)

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

BBC News - Covid-19: Vaccines to be compulsory for frontline NHS staff in England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59215282

Between 80,000 and 100,000 NHS workers in England were unvaccinated, said Chris Hopson, head of NHS Providers.

If half of that number decide to get vaccinated, it'll still be 4-5% of the entire NHS England workforce unvaccinated, though how that breaks down between front frontline and not front line isn't clear. I can't see them deciding to unilaterally fire them, at any rate. The NHS seems to be in  permanent shortage as it is.

BBC News - Covid-19: Vaccines to be compulsory for frontline NHS staff in England
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59215282
Outrageous. How can this even be legal? Do they get made redundant as you can't unilaterally change someones contract of employment?

The other major flaw with this is the majority of unvaccinated frontline NHS employees are young nurses, so good luck filling those places as you just can't magic up thousands of qualified band 5 nurses in Spring.

No doubts Scot Gov to do the same and maybe insist on boosters as well given their care more attitude.

48 minutes ago, Michael W said:

If half of that number decide to get vaccinated, it'll still be 4-5% of the entire NHS England workforce unvaccinated, though how that breaks down between front frontline and not front line isn't clear. I can't see them deciding to unilaterally fire them, at any rate. The NHS seems to be in  permanent shortage as it is.

Seems to me like another move to "encourage" vaccine uptake.  Surely not going to empty a load of staff from a service that's already short staffed.  Then again the government are arrogant and stupid so who knows.

Social media story about that gig in the US where 8 people died in a crush. First comment:

“I mean condolences to peoples family that died but if everyone was following covid protocols this would have been easily avoided”.

Appreciate that social media is a cesspit most of the time and it could be someone trolling, but Covid has properly warped some people’s minds. Barely stopped short of saying they deserved to die because they weren’t wearing masks.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Outrageous. How can this even be legal? Do they get made redundant as you can't unilaterally change someones contract of employment?

The other major flaw with this is the majority of unvaccinated frontline NHS employees are young nurses, so good luck filling those places as you just can't magic up thousands of qualified band 5 nurses in Spring.

No doubts Scot Gov to do the same and maybe insist on boosters as well given their care more attitude.

The Supreme Court ruled against care workers last week on this issue so I would expect that ruling to cover all workers. 

Dystopia ahoy!

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Supreme Court ruled against care workers last week on this issue so I would expect that ruling to cover all workers. 

Dystopia ahoy!

I think the fact that Doctors are already required to have Hep B vaccination was an important factor in the decision - precedent set.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
15 minutes ago, hk blues said:
The precedent is requiring a medical professional to have a particular vaccination to protect the public.  

Problem being that vaccination doesn't stop you getting it or transmitting it as my double vaxxed Nurse wife recently proved.

No vaccine does but they minimize the risk.

No vaccine does but they minimize the risk.
It might reduce the risk but there are more patients in a ward than frontline staff, so patients are more at risk of getting it from another patient than a member of staff.

Complete joke and hopefully Humza will be different and not introduce this nonsense here.

Also, using the same approach surely everyone who works in a frontline role such as supermarket, nightclub, large event should be mandated to be vaccinated or lose their job?

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How can we still be at this stage and people don't understand what a vaccine does. We have no fucking hope as a species, honestly. 

You might well be right given that the country's Tory in Chief avoided scrutiny in the Commons yesterday by visiting a hospital without even having the gumption to wear a mask. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How can we still be at this stage and people don't understand what a vaccine does. We have no fucking hope as a species, honestly. 

The CDC actually changed the definition of a vaccine in the summer. 

Previously the definition included "immunity from disease". Because the Covid vaccine doesn't work under that definition the definition was changed to "protection from disease".

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article254111268.html

It's understandable that some people are not up to date. 

7 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

It might reduce the risk but there are more patients in a ward than frontline staff, so patients are more at risk of getting it from another patient than a member of staff.

Complete joke and hopefully Humza will be different and not introduce this nonsense here.

Also, using the same approach surely everyone who works in a frontline role such as supermarket, nightclub, large event should be mandated to be vaccinated or lose their job?

Quite apart from the increased risk of infection, I wouldn't be happy getting treated by people who don't accept the current scientific consensus. As a gambler I'd rather not risk a maverick nurse or doctor thinking they know better on the remote chance they're right.

Quite apart from the increased risk of infection, I wouldn't be happy getting treated by people who don't accept the current scientific consensus. As a gambler I'd rather not risk a maverick nurse or doctor thinking they know better on the remote chance they're right.
What about the guy in the next bed to you on the bay you are in who isn't vaccinated who you spend a lot more time in close proximity to than a member of staff who only appears now and again masked up.

1 minute ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What about the guy in the next bed to you on the bay you are in who isn't vaccinated who you spend a lot more time in close proximity to than a member of staff who only appears now and again masked up.

That's probably logistically unavoidable, it's a small ask for medical professionals to do the minimum to reduce the risk to their patients. If they don't believe in the science they should join a homeopathy practice or something.

That's probably logistically unavoidable, it's a small ask for medical professionals to do the minimum to reduce the risk to their patients. If they don't believe in the science they should join a homeopathy practice or something.
You clear have no idea what nurses deal with on a day to day basis on a ward.

Since when did not having a vaccine mean "not believing in the science" ffs.

Some fucking wild takes as ever. I habe never had a flu vaccine in my life. Does that mean I dont believe they work or are some sort of medical maverick? No, thats fucking stupid. What it means is that I quite simply never felt the need to bother getting one.