Coronavirus (COVID-19)

39 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I would assume there's more chance of being injured by being hit on the head from a falling coconut in Pitlochry than a healthy double vaccinated person becoming very ill from this virus now.

I live near Pitlochry and can confirm I’ve never been hit on the head by a falling coconut.  Now I know they’re a thing I’ll be keeping an eye out.  Cheers for the warning.

18 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
18 hours ago, hk blues said:
The precedent is requiring a medical professional to have a particular vaccination to protect the public.  

Problem being that vaccination doesn't stop you getting it or transmitting it as my double vaxxed Nurse wife recently proved.

The vaccine minimises the impact of Covid on those who have been vaccinated, it doesn't prevent people getting it or transmitting it. 

9 hours ago, ddfg said:

New CDC rules for entry requirements to the US stipulate that your test before travel has to be witnessed  by a medical professional. Some companies are offering a video consultation so you can be viewed swabbing yourself, one place in Glasgow has a walk-in service. 

This might work for relatively small numbers travelling but would appear to be totally unworkable everytime someone want to go the cinema or for a beer. 

Most branches of Boots do it but it would be way too expensive. The Dutch do it free in hundreds of places and the result uploads to their app. Lasts 24 hours so if you're not vaxxed you need a test every day if you're going to a cafe or bar. If you are vaxxed it's no hassle, just takes them a second or two to scan your QR code, all the staff can do it.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

The vaccine minimises the impact of Covid on those who have been vaccinated, it doesn't prevent people getting it or transmitting it. 

Then the premise of having a vaccine mandate 'to protect patients' (or anyone else) falls apart completely. 

If a frontline worker is stupid enough to put themselves at risk of serious illness or death then they should be allowed to do so, with no crocodile tears if they pay the price. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Then the premise of having a vaccine mandate 'to protect patients' (or anyone else) falls apart completely. 

If a frontline worker is stupid enough to put themselves at risk of serious illness or death then they should be allowed to do so, with no crocodile tears if they pay the price. 

Yep - I'm not at all in favour of the vaccine mandate in itself, but the fact that it will force some/many/most of those who have chosen not to have the vaccine as yet have one is a spin-off benefit.  

An aside - where I am they have just confirmed that organisations can legally refuse to pay the end of year bonus/13th month salary to those who have chosen not to be vaccinated.  

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm pretty sure it reduces the viral load they transmit if they do catch it, so lessening the chance of spread.

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

This time last year businesses were on edge every week waiting for the SG to tell them whether they’d allowed to trade (and what arbitrary restrictions would be in place if so).

It’s ludicrous that we’re now back in the same situation a year later when we’re well underway with third vaccine doses.

The pitiful attempt to show they care more whilst destroying livelihoods really does beggar belief.   Absolutely desperate for emergency powers to be extended also.  Clueless charlatans who stumble from flawed decision to the next one until the next outcry sees them to another u-turn.

It's just as well furlough stopped or we'd all have been in the house for the last couple of months and right through the winter.

You have to imagine that the SG have done an impact assessment on the hospitality industry and decided to accept what the negative consequences are.

I read somewhere that between a fifth and a quarter of Scottish pubs open at the millenium have now closed.  Not sure how accurate that is but you definitely get the sense that the pub/hospitality industry is somethign that's down the pecking order.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

You have to imagine that the SG have done an impact assessment on the hospitality industry and decided to accept what the negative consequences are.

I read somewhere that between a fifth and a quarter of Scottish pubs open at the millenium have now closed.  Not sure how accurate that is but you definitely get the sense that the pub/hospitality industry is somethign that's down the pecking order.

Or, and I know I’m entering tinfoil hat territory here , they are well aware of the impact of the restrictions and are very happy to see the hospitality industry on its knees. I think they would be very happy to only have the Brewers Fayre type of pub left where you don’t go for a session but a “family “ type of pub where booze is a secondary consideration.

8 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

Or, and I know I’m entering tinfoil hat territory here , they are well aware of the impact of the restrictions and are very happy to see the hospitality industry on its knees. I think they would be very happy to only have the Brewers Fayre type of pub left where you don’t go for a session but a “family “ type of pub where booze is a secondary consideration.

This would essentially be the sort of impact that can be created by social distancing rules and possibly even that stupid scotch egg rule. 

I would advise as many of you as possible to move down south if the opportunity presents itself. I live in Essex and you’d barely know there’s even a pandemic on at the moment, which is fantastic. We are truly learning to live with it down here. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Yep - I'm not at all in favour of the vaccine mandate in itself, but the fact that it will force some/many/most of those who have chosen not to have the vaccine as yet have one is a spin-off benefit. 

This is counterbalanced by staff leaving the service however. An already tight health service will get tighter in terms of staffing.

19 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

Aye for plebs. 

There will be always be plenty of high end bars for Nippy and Pat to carouse in.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

This is counterbalanced by staff leaving the service however. An already tight health service will get tighter in terms of staffing.

Not sure if it's a counterbalance but it's certainly an undesirable consequence of the mandate.  Let's see who blinks first.

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Not sure if it's a counterbalance but it's certainly an undesirable consequence of the mandate.  Let's see who blinks first.

The mandate applies only to 'frontline' staff. Not sure how many of them are still to be vaccinated and whether it's lower than the 8-10% overall that are unvaccinated.

If they refuse, I can't see the government caving as the NHS will fall over. Equally, the government will almost certainly be taken to court over their policy if they do attempt to enforce it. I would hope the challenge comes now rather than after a mass firing of staff so we spare the problems if the government's policy is found to be unlawful.

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

The mandate applies only to 'frontline' staff. Not sure how many of them are still to be vaccinated and whether it's lower than the 8-10% overall that are unvaccinated.

If they refuse, I can't see the government caving as the NHS will fall over. Equally, the government will almost certainly be taken to court over their policy if they do attempt to enforce it. I would hope the challenge comes now rather than after a mass firing of staff so we spare the problems if the government's policy is found to be unlawful.

Surely you mean can see the government caving in?

The care home one is a bigger problem than the NHS imo. 

Care home workers can decide to take the winter off knowing they will be able to walk back into a similar job with the same (shit) wages and conditions whenever they decide to get vaccinated. 

It's supposed to be enforced tomorrow but I've not seen any estimate of how many care home workers have chosen not to vaccinated.

The big elephant in the room is that the vaccine has undoubtedly led to an increase in mortality rates. Mandating that is insane.