Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The SG using rising cases on the continent as justification for considering further restrictions here 🤦‍♂️ Have they not noticed we are rolling out what appears to be a very successful booster programme and have already had a big Delta outbreak unlike in a lot of European countries.

4 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

The SG using rising cases on the continent as justification for considering further restrictions here 🤦‍♂️ Have they not noticed we are rolling out what appears to be a very successful booster programme and have already had a big Delta outbreak unlike in a lot of European countries.

The Delta wave having effortlessly smashed through their, err, vaccine passport and mask mandates like a tsunami as well. 

1 hour ago, The Stig said:

Sorry you are wrong, they are doing it because as pointed out, every other country (Wales, Ireland, Germany Holland and Austria) are doing it.  This obviously means those countries care more, and the Scottish government can't be seen as the bad guys.

It is the proverbial keeping up with the Jones's on a political scale nothing more. as the science left the equation long ago.

And isn't it just making a huge difference!

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Finding it hard to reconcile the highest vaccine uptake rate in the UK and lowest levels of infection with the idea that the Scottish Government is just doing all of this for fun tbh. 

The sheer audacity from this fud to cherry pick when Scotland has 'the lowest levels of infection'. In the past four months we have seen periods of even greater infection rates per capita than England - and they haven't had any of this pointless, disruptive nonsense during that same time.

The arse lickers simply cannot bear to admit how much their masters are making a c**t of this.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Track and trace is supposed to be enforced by pubs but isn't. I haven't been asked for contact details or to "scan in" since the early summer. I fully expect any vaccine passport check to be similarly ignored by pubs as it's thoroughly unenforceable.

Aye and thats all very well and good, but what happens to the first pub to be visited by those creepy psychopaths who take pictures of people on scotrail and complain? Could cost a business its licence given how militant these weapons are at complaining.  

If the brakes on your car start to fail you wouldn't fit new wiper blades and expect that to stop your car more efficiently so why does the collective mind of two political parties think that targetting areas in the main frequented by adults will solve a problem, if there is actually a problem, being driven by cases amongst children?

Unpalatable as it may be if the SG are serious about tackling what they obviously consider to be a problem they should be shutting schools and not aiming for the same old low hanging fruit. 

Track and trace is supposed to be enforced by pubs but isn't. I haven't been asked for contact details or to "scan in" since the early summer. I fully expect any vaccine passport check to be similarly ignored by pubs as it's thoroughly unenforceable.
Every place I have been in has had QR codes displayed. Some mention it to you, some dont. But tbh, why should staff in a cafe or a pub hound their customers? What are they supposed to do? Demand to see your phone?

Sturgeon also said they are looking at adding proof on negative test as an alternative.
You could rewrite those headlines as  'unvacinated might be allowed to attend mass events (or whatever the current wording is) again from december
That's what it looks like to me - preparing for a climbdown as they realise vaccine passports are not only unworkable but unpopular.

I don’t like the way vaccine passports are shaping up (although I have got mine on my phone, I don’t object enough not to get one), I really feel for the business owners who are facing this uncertainty, the guy who posts in here periodically sums it up very well.

Whike it’s not the main concern the thing that really winds me up is the ‘hint hint’ nature of it all, back to the drip drip be good stuff of last year. I’m fortunate that it doesn’t hugely affect me but it’s just a bit dispiriting.

If the brakes on your car start to fail you wouldn't fit new wiper blades and expect that to stop your car more efficiently so why does the collective mind of two political parties think that targetting areas in the main frequented by adults will solve a problem, if there is actually a problem, being driven by cases amongst children?
Unpalatable as it may be if the SG are serious about tackling what they obviously consider to be a problem they should be shutting schools and not aiming for the same old low hanging fruit. 

Because they know that if schools are closed it will mean no exams for the 3rd year running.

The crazy thing is that by persevering down this route they'll just be putting off the inevitable bloodbath that will be results day if exams do proceed.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
29 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Every place I have been in has had QR codes displayed. Some mention it to you, some dont. But tbh, why should staff in a cafe or a pub hound their customers? What are they supposed to do? Demand to see your phone?

Exactly this. They do what they need to do which is make the QR codes available.

There's not a hope in hell that a pub with 1 guy working behind the bar is going to be checking vaccine passports of everyone that walks in the door. It's simply not feasible. Nor is a small restaurant going to turn away a booking with then no hope of replacing that custom.

Ignoring the argument of whether or not introducing them is the right idea or not, there is little point in introducing something that can't/won't actually be adequately enforced. All it will do is lead to the unlucky businesses who get randomly caught being punished (and potentially put out of business) for not being able to afford to police such a policy.

Aye and thats all very well and good, but what happens to the first pub to be visited by those creepy psychopaths who take pictures of people on scotrail and complain? Could cost a business its licence given how militant these weapons are at complaining.  
I don't doubt folk like that exist as we have seen on that site you mention but I've yet to see a "grass" post about the blatant ignore of track and trace so it's unlikely to change from that. It's a very difficult thing to grass on, masks, easy a photo of a mask less person is straight forward to do but what evidence can a person of that mind provide re passports.

That is 3 times at Hampden and I haven't been asked or seen anyone else asked for the vaccine passport. I don't expect pubs to be much different.

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

As I said the other day high vaccine uptake and boosters don't change anything. 

Sweden is proving that a high level of natural immunity is the way to end this. 

Boosters are quite clearly reducing the number of auld duffers in hospital. High rates of vaccination on top of areas that have had higher levels of infection throughout is the best and least painful way to end the pandemic phase. Places like Germany and Austria have had lower infection levels and have lower vaccination rates.

There's never been any doubt that immunity from natural infection will have an important part to play until the end of time, though.

Edit: and places still using Covid as an excuse to save a few coins is no real surprise. Khan has done it in London purely for this reason.

Edited by Elixir

I wonder if the SG could incentivise the completion of test and trace in pubs and restaurants (maybe by paying for a discount off the meal for example) then this could be cross referenced with vaccine data too.

Introducing vaccine passports for restaurants and bars without compensating them in some way for the possibility of loss of custom seems ridiculous.

Unless of course, vaccine passports don't make a difference to case rates and they are just there for theatre. 

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

As I said the other day high vaccine uptake and boosters don't change anything. 

Sweden is proving that a high level of natural immunity is the way to end this. 

You said just this morning that NS would be extending vaccine passports today.

I admire your audacity to continue to project your guesswork as fact.