Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Denmark has released a report on Omicron. They have a number of hospitalisation.

This is apparently slightly higher than the Delta wave. It could be due to the higher transmissibility causing more people to catch Omicron in hospital.

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Will certainly be interesting to see how UKGov respond to the cries for help from hospitality in England without releasing funds for the devolved nations. 

Am I missing something? What cries for help?

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Am I missing something? What cries for help?

With the evaporation of consumer confidence thought to have accelerated since then, bosses called for more assistance from the government to help them survive the effects of a second successive nightmare Christmas.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/14/uk-restaurants-and-pubs-fear-40-cut-in-christmas-takings-under-covid-plan-b

I’m really not sure that advising folk to limit household gatherings will have an impact whatsoever tbh. My other half and er family are all SNP supporters and compliant (with all the mask pish, which to their annoyance I roundly ignore). However they’ve all said Sturgeon can go eff herself as we’ll be having a big family Christmas gathering regardless.

Unfortunately the government will well know this will be the norm, so I suspect she’ll go for usual suspects; vaccine passport for all hostility as well as gyms etc and maybe even an extension for passports for all sports stadiums. I can’t see any limit on numbers as that would require money she doesn’t have.

1 minute ago, deegee said:

I’m really not sure that advising folk to limit household gatherings will have an impact whatsoever tbh. My other half and er family are all SNP supporters and compliant (with all the mask pish, which to their annoyance I roundly ignore). However they’ve all said Sturgeon can go eff herself as we’ll be having a big family Christmas gathering regardless.

Unfortunately the government will well know this will be the norm, so I suspect she’ll go for usual suspects; vaccine passport for all hostility as well as gyms etc and maybe even an extension for passports for all sports stadiums. I can’t see any limit on numbers as that would require money she doesn’t have.

But it's the message that should be delivered if people want to have a normal Christmas.

There's no issue with saying that. It allows people to make their own decisions about risking a positive test in the run up to Christmas.

Advice is absolutely fine.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Her strategy will instead focus on reducing contact between different households

If only there were a setting where hundreds of different households were in contact on a daily basis, that could easily be shut down because there's f-all happening this week and next anyway.

But it's the message that should be delivered if people want to have a normal Christmas.
There's no issue with saying that. It allows people to make their own decisions about risking a positive test in the run up to Christmas.
BBC running with this now too.

BBC News - Covid: New social mixing guidelines likely in Scotland
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-59649986

29 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Putting aside the original COVID couldn't have been a variant of itself....

Delta was meant to be worse than the OG Wuhan version? Hopefully good news. 

Yep, delta was more severe.

Apparently this study has shown 38 admissions per 1000 omicron cases, compared to 101 per 100 for delta.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Yep, delta was more severe.

Apparently this study has shown 38 admissions per 1000 omicron cases, compared to 101 per 100 for delta.

So if Omicron is two and a half times more infections we stand still hospitalisation wise? Is that right?

11 hours ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

I thought I’d just come in and have a look, see what’s happening, maybe get some new interesting points of view on the events of the day. 

Of course, I really should have known better. 

Talking of interesting points of view, did you see this one from the forum's favourite grandad?

44 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I agree. In hindsight, she ought to have been more positive and enthusiastic in her tone and messaging when we were rolling back on restrictions this summer. Tbf she is very popular and has many folk hanging onto her every word, therefore a change of tone and some stern advice now would probably have been better received. Sadly the drip- drip constant doom laden tone and threats have left many of us absolutely jaded and tone deaf to more restrictive instructions.

You are right about folk making their own decisions; wouldn’t really bother me if I missed xmas due to COVID tbh, however we are off on holiday in February and I’ll be mega careful and basically not going out licking walls for the fortnight beforehand.