Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes some truth in that I guess but to me it's just another example where the messages are mixed and I'm not sure where it sits with businesses having a legal requirment to ensure social distancing. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd assumed pubs will be required to ensure that. 

“We intend to amend regulations to put a legal requirement on those running businesses or providing services to take measures which are reasonably practicable to minimise the risk of transmission.

We will issue guidance this week to make clear what that means for different sectors.

For example in retail, it will involve a return to the kind of protections in place at the start of the pandemic - for example measures to avoid crowding and bottlenecks.

This will include physical distancing, measures to control the flow of customers and protective screens.

For hospitality, it will mean, for example, measures to avoid crowding at bars and between tables, and a reminder of the requirement to collect contact details of customers to help with contact tracing.”

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-update-first-ministers-statement-14-december-2021/

Will that be the same screens that were shown to be less effective than no screen at all because they reduced airflow and kept covid in an area rather than disperse it?

Reading that, though, there is still a lot of grey area. What, for example, is a "reasonable measure" to avoid crowding at bars or between tables?

Because "avoid" ≠ "no"

And what constitutes a "crowd"

Spoiler

QI Klaxon for anyone saying "Three"

Edited by Todd_is_God

If I understand this right, all retail and hospitality will essentially be mandated to resurrect the one way system, limit numbers (without actually saying “social distancing”) and reinstate plastic screens that may have been removed in the past months? All required for this weekend, a week before Christmas and where many shops/ bars/ hotels have struggled with chronic supply and staff shortages!

It’s going to be a shit show and if not enforced, may be roundly ignored, however risks shop managers, bar owners etc getting a criminal record if prosecuted. However I’m sure the cops have more to deal with this weekend than a bar  being full or a shop having a load of Christmas shoppers drop in.

I had hoped we had left these obtuse rules/ guidelines behind us such as 6pm closing, non- vertical drinking, scotch eggs for dinner, coffee shops doing takeaways in January with a crowd huddled on the pavement etc.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Sky news ripping the pish out of the 200,000 current infections per day.  Showed how that number had been arrived at and said if that trajectory was true everyone in the country will be infected by Christmas day.

Described it as “back of a fag packet stuff”

When did VT start on Sky News? 😂

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Wasn't there a study that suggested the plastic screens actually increased the risk of catching covid by restricting air flow? 

I’m sure there was; I remember reading this earlier this summer, however I guess it didn’t fit the narrative and was probably suppressed. There was more than likely a few quiet words said to friendly journalists to ignore that specific report. When you think about it, it makes total sense that we want better ventilation to shift airborne virus particles yet we actually force more micro compartments within offices and restaurants etc with these damned plastic shields.

4 minutes ago, deegee said:

I’m sure there was; I remember reading this earlier this summer, however I guess it didn’t fit the narrative and was probably suppressed. There was more than likely a few quiet words said to friendly journalists to ignore that specific report. When you think about it, it makes total sense that we want better ventilation to shift airborne virus particles yet we actually force more micro compartments within offices and restaurants etc with these damned plastic shields.

June & July this was all over the media about screens doing more harm than good.  One example below.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/government-advised-to-scrap-perspex-screens-over-fears-they-increase-covid-transmission-1054858

The sad thing is, it would be of little surprise for it to transpire that they have utterly fucked this. Both in terms of identifying the need for restrictions, then defining them, then in the implementation. All areas where they have fucked up before. A load of shit data and scaremongering, then a load of political backtracking and "Wont apologise for keeping people safe" chat, whilst others count the cost. 

Mrs. B just told me a story that had me howling.

Her boss has Covid.  He caught it at a party at his cricket club.  (25 out of 75 attendees have tested positive).

Turns out the guy that allegedly brought it into the cricket club party had been at another party the night before.  At his previous party they’d been using those balloons you blow up, let them go, then they fly round the room making noise until you pick them up, blow them up again and repeat the cycle.

How fucking stupid would you have to be to think the balloons were a good idea?

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Both in terms of identifying the need for restrictions, then defining them, then in the implementation

I think the problem with that logic is:

Firstly, you could do nothing everything is as was in November, country is in a poor situation due to the levels of people in self isolation.

Secondly you take out test and protect and the need to isolate etc and hope the emerging data is correct about a less severe disease and hope the r rate is less than 2.6 (to keep hospital admissions below) and hope folk get vaxed.

Thirdly is you do some things and increase vaccination capacity. This is obviously the route they have gone down I think the focus of restrictions for me ought to be in schools although it obviously isn't as popular politically.

Don't know if you think there is a 4th way? Genuinely interested.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Her boss has Covid.  He caught it at a party at his cricket club.  (25 out of 75 attendees have tested positive).

Turns out the guy that allegedly brought it into the cricket club party had been at another party the night before.  At his previous party they’d been using those balloons you blow up, let them go, then they fly round the room making noise until you pick them up, blow them up again and repeat the cycle.

35F43C6E-F5EB-4E08-A9B8-D7737405F08A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Thankfully we won't be relying on Joe Public to behave in a sensible manner going forward. 😟 😂