Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, red23 said:

all work partys cancelled for me, which is a shame as there's a really hot girl i was wanting to try plough at the work xmas party who's been known to give up the goods after a few jars

She’s probably riddled mate.  You’ve had a lucky escape imo.

Seems like Yousaf is at odds with Sturgeon 

Humza Yousaf, the health secretary, dismissed calls for a circuit breaker, saying it could have unintended consequences of pushing up deaths and illnesses from other diseases. “We have to always balance the harms, that is why we haven’t imposed more restrictions perhaps than we are doing at the moment, because we understand 20 months into this people’s mental health is suffering, the economy is suffering, people’s well being is suffering, there has been educational disruptions,” he said.

“Of course as a government there are other measures we could take that could limit social mixing, but they would come at harm and at a cost.

“The government’s job is to balance those various harms and I think that is the balance we have got right.”

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Beyond belief that Sunak decides to go on holiday in the middle of the biggest crisis to businesses in the UK in decades.

Maybe he doesn't give enough of a f**k.

Beyond contempt, yet again.

Don’t think there was a crisis when he left.  He’s also supposed to be on government business.

I'm sure this has been posted before but point from Nick Triggle, BBC Health correspondant.

Questions about whether restrictions should be introduced are going to grow the more cases rise.

That is understandable. But it is also important to remember restrictions don't stop the epidemic - they just prolong it.

They can be used to buy you time. Last winter the lockdown allowed the rollout of vaccines.

With more than 80% of the most vulnerable boosted the benefits of a lockdown are much lower this time.

The costs, however, are the same, perhaps greater considering what people have endured so far in terms of the harm to jobs, mental health and education.

What would change the equation significantly is if the NHS is going to be overwhelmed, which would deny people basic life-saving care.

Clearly the NHS is struggling, doctors are pointing out care is suffering, but the situation is very different from last winter when over a third of beds were occupied by Covid patients.

Will that happen again? The modelling released so far is unclear as there is so much uncertainty.

Hospital cases could peak at half the level of last winter under the best-case scenario, or approaching double in the worst.

This is basically it - the people most at risk of dying or becoming seriously ill have generally been boostered.  The virus will still cause severe illness and deaths but the calculation has to be whether hospitals will be able to cope.  I think that nosocomial (a word I learned yesterday) transmission could be key, that is in-hospital transmission.  That will put pressure on staffing and could lead to a quicker crisis in the NHS than previously.  

I also read something about how waning immunity from previous infection or vaccines could have the impact of making variants seem milder.  So your immunity from two jabs or having Covid in 2020 is still there but it's reduced enough to allow infection and the subsequent illness is milder.  

13 minutes ago, red23 said:

all work partys cancelled for me, which is a shame as there's a really hot girl i was wanting to try plough at the work xmas party who's been known to give up the goods after a few jars. 

Massive 'Jay from the Inbetweeners' energy.

4 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Humza Yousaf, the health secretary, dismissed calls for a circuit breaker, saying it could have unintended consequences of pushing up deaths and illnesses from other diseases. “We have to always balance the harms, that is why we haven’t imposed more restrictions perhaps than we are doing at the moment, because we understand 20 months into this people’s mental health is suffering, the economy is suffering, people’s well being is suffering, there has been educational disruptions,” he said.

“Of course as a government there are other measures we could take that could limit social mixing, but they would come at harm and at a cost.

“The government’s job is to balance those various harms and I think that is the balance we have got right.”

Humza in talking sense shocker. 

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Don’t think there was a crisis when he left.  He’s also supposed to be on government business.

Its the classic "travel = holidays" trope that has littered the discussion about international travel throughout. Jealousy ripping out the people shouting for restrictions that other people are abroad when they can't be. Don't demand restrictions then.

I've no idea what Rishi Sunak's day to day job looks like, but I imagine he can't do it all from an office in London.

He's apparently there trying to secure foreign investment.

13 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Fair play to him. He's spot on. I hope he doesn't buckle under pressure from the likes of Bauld. 

The Scottish Government needs someone within it prepared to look beyond simply Covid and at the bigger picture. It feels like they have tunnel vision all too often.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

10 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Humza in talking sense shocker. 

It's a bit late for that, though. The damage to the economy is already done. Gigs are cancelled, parties are cancelled, dinner bookings etc are cancelled.

They may not have restricted them, but they have their supporters calling out anyone "selfish" enough to want to enjoy their life.

PS I agree with him, and it's good to see, but it doesn't reverse or negate the absolute nonsense his boss is spouting during this deranged, plot losing rampage she is on.

Edited by Todd_is_God