Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

My neighbor came round this lunchtime. She was just back  from shopping in Glenrothes  and reported that Morrisons was heaving with not a parking space to be had. Sounds like Fifers are collectively telling Dr Death and Nicola to shove it.

Good grief... I lived in Glenrothes for a short while years ago - it's because of that I have a soft spot for the Rovers. 

I really wouldn't take any advice from Glenrothesites about behaviour. Marginally better than Methil, but it's a close run thing. I lived quite high up the hill on the northern side. It wasn't quite the end of the Earth, but you could see it from the kitchen window. 😁

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Theoretically question - if cases rise and rise and we see pressure on the NHS, ICU capacity reached, large rises in deaths, at what point would people accept restrictions to prevent case increases?

During the wave in August / September the highest number of people in hospital was around 1,100 (with 100 in ICU).  That was deemed fine then as we didn't impose any restrictions, I think that should be a benchmark to maybe start think about it now. 

Edited by The Stig

I'll be honest, my initial reaction to any further lockdown will be to patch the vaccination. Which, I accept, is a bit of cutting off my nose to spite my face. But it's my natural lashing out instinct.
I reckon I won't be alone in that. Especially amongst people who are vaccine hesitant. Which I'm not. If it doesn't stop me getting it, doesn't stop me passing it on and (assuming the data is accurate) is a fairly mild illness then I'm really not sure what the advantage is.
I was buzzing for my first dose because I felt like it was me playing my part in helping us get out of lockdown. Now that couldn't feel further from the case.
I've had exactly the same thoughts.

I've booked my booster for the 29th of December but when there was constant threats of further restrictions last week I came very close to cancelling it as I genuinely wondered what the point was.

As it is, I kept my booster appointment and will be going to it as there's still that part of me that (probably naively) thinks that as booster numbers increase then restrictions are less likely. That is until the next variant appears and we're back in this position again.

Yeah, the natural reaction to further lock downs when you're double or triple jabbed seems to be 'well what the fuck was the point in getting it then?'.

The point is obvious of course, but the SG and WM constantly shit themselves when there's a spike in cases, which feels like it renders the vaccines useless.

16 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'll be honest, my initial reaction to any further lockdown will be to patch the vaccination. Which, I accept, is a bit of cutting off my nose to spite my face. But it's my natural lashing out instinct.

I reckon I won't be alone in that. Especially amongst people who are vaccine hesitant. Which I'm not. If it doesn't stop me getting it, doesn't stop me passing it on and (assuming the data is accurate) is a fairly mild illness then I'm really not sure what the advantage is.

I was buzzing for my first dose because I felt like it was me playing my part in helping us get out of lockdown. Now that couldn't feel further from the case.

Surely its a diminishing returns thing too? There seems little reason to believe immunity won't wain with the booster as it did with the first 2...I'd imagine the % of people coming forward to get their 4th, then 5th, then 6th, then 7th jab etc. etc. will only decrease. That's why imposing any restrictions now (when vax uptake in Britain is simply excellent) is just an awful awful policy decision

1 minute ago, bairn88 said:

Surely its a diminishing returns thing too? There seems little reason to believe immunity won't wain with the booster as it did with the first 2...I'd imagine the % of people coming forward to get their 4th, then 5th, then 6th, then 7th jab etc. etc. will only decrease. That's why imposing any restrictions now (when vax uptake in Britain is simply excellent) is just an awful awful policy decision

That's another aspect.

I'm meant to be going to Italy for the F1 in September. I'll happily get vaccinated before then to make sure I can go. But if I need a vaccine in January, then surely I'll need another one (or two even) before then. Which I just don't fancy at all.

The Government risk seriously undermining a superb vaccine uptake in a country that, as a general rule, trusts the medical community. Certainly far more than in places like the US or even France.

33 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Theoretically, some folk around this forum would still girn like 5 year olds if they were asked to wear a mask and stop licking door handles if the bodies were piling high in the streets. 

And yet, you still come across as more of a p***k than they do. 

Lambeth & Wandsworth in the big smoke both have more than 2K per 100K confirmed infection rate currently.

In fact London has the top 10 hot councils in the UK.

Suppose this is why the heat is particularly on Boris now.

Edited by superbigal

1 minute ago, superbigal said:

Lambeth & Wandsworth in the big smoke both have more than 2K per 100K confirmed infection rate currently.

In fact London has the top 10 hot councils in the UK.

Suppose this is why the heat is particularly on Boris now.

Boris will just head to the garden, have a nice chilled wine and wait for all this to blow over.

Pretty excellent numbers in England today. London probably peaked, countrywide cases by specimen date flatlining, London hospital admissions peaking there or thereabouts, maybe 1 more week of increases. (FWIW Lilico I don't much care for but his graphs are good)

8.JPG

9.JPG

40 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I generally have to work over christmas and new year, the mrs does except the public holidays and her place is working with 1/4 of the staff it actually needs, my mums a nurse and has to work it too, with shift work I dont get a great deal of time with my wee boy, so we thought the best way to mark us not having a proper christmas would be to get to Florida and have a bit of sunshine in late january, all booked, disney tickets sorted and the wee man talking about it every day how excited he is.
To be honest im also under an incredible amount of stress at work with absences and people still expecting no impact on service, to the point I spent the weekend at work with an infected broken tooth, sitting in absolute agony because I didnt want to let anyone down with other people being off. Its compounded by quite a lot of other public services also experiencing strain papping off their issues over here.
The one thing getting me through was the thought of getting to f**k next month and leaving it all behind. 
To read that they are proposing to halt travel again ‘just for that month’ is yet another boot in the balls. I genuinely think im going to explode with stress and the prospect of no time off until May (ie 8 months with no real break) is absolutely killing me to the point I think i’ll need to go and speak to someone. 
They still cant tell us what their end game is, they still cant tell us what the justification is, im done with it. Completely done. Apologies for the rant im just scunnered.  

It wasn't really a rant, don't blame you for being scunnered, given the circumstances.

My general health has been pretty good over the last 18 months, but my teeth have been a disaster area.  Was hacked off at my dentist going private a few years ago, but being able to get appointments immediately on almost every occasion has been a godsend.

Edited by O_Kahn

2 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

It wasn't really a rant, don't blame you for being scunnered, given the circumstances.

My general health has been pretty over the last 18 months, but my teeth have been a disaster area.  Was hacked off at my dentist going private a few years ago, but being able to get appointments immediately on almost every occasion has been a godsend.

Well it was mildly cathartic. If i could get a bit of time off without having to go into the office on annual leave then fair enough but it doesnt happen. 
Yes i had to get some private dental work and tbh it was decent to not have to worry about wait times etc.