Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Jason Leitch: No reason for panic or restrictions despite Covid rise in Scotland - STV News

when this c**t is saying shit happens, it really is over

way back in summer 2020 he did actually say on OTB that eventually this would become endemic and there would be no need to worry or even try to prevent the majority of cases, were surely at that point

A reminder that Clownshoes only a few weeks ago thought April was too soon for an outdoor party.

Another absolute whopper of a contribution from yesterday's man.

7 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

It's not the masks that I think will cause the issue, it is the lack of requirement to isolate.

What we should be saying is that while it is not a legal requirement, you should still be minded to isolate where possible. Not just with this, but with any virus.

What also slightly gives me a fear is that we don't really know how many positive cases are out there now. If you do test positive, I'd imagine not everyone will register it. Aside from collating the numbers, there is nothing that registering a positive test helps you with. 

I caught Covid at my wedding in August last year. I didn’t have any noticeable symptoms until the Thursday despite catching it on the Saturday. 

Isolation is therefore pointless, I’d likely been walking around spreading it before I reached the point where you’d suggest I isolate.

Same goes for over half the folk at the wedding who also caught it. 

From much of what I’ve read, you are most infectious in the days before symptoms.

1 minute ago, Captain Saintsible said:

I caught Covid at my wedding in August last year. I didn’t have any noticeable symptoms until the Thursday despite catching it on the Saturday. 

Isolation is therefore pointless, I’d likely been walking around spreading it before I reached the point where you’d suggest I isolate.

Same goes for over half the folk at the wedding who also caught it. 

From much of what I’ve read, you are most infectious in the days before symptoms.

That’s my take too. And a lot of people don’t even know they have it as they don’t test as their work doesn’t require it. 

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

See, this is the problem. People are just picking their heroes based on whether they are saying what they want to hear.

They are all attention seeking charlatans, some of whom got a bit lucky with their predictions - like all the best charlatans.

Nobody. Absolutely nobody called covid correctly.

There are no "experts" in covid and there never have been.

Campbell isn't a hero and GB News certainly aren't.

Absolutely.

Having a basic layman’s ability to understand and contextualise statistics has been a fairly useful skill to have throughout. As has the ability to keep a calm head while there was so much shrieking and catastrophising coming from elsewhere.

Many of those who continue to come out of this badly are the ones who try to apply their own biases, ideologies and desire to be perceived a certain way into a global pandemic, and still refuse to self-reflect. 

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

These countries thought they could entirely eradicate covid - i.e. zero cases through lockdown and very strict restrictions. 

Because when the next pandemic hits, these guys are absolutely not the model to be following.

I do enjoy your assertive views that make for an entertaining and informative read.

What would be your strategy for an outbreak like ebola?

11 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Jason Leitch: No reason for panic or restrictions despite Covid rise in Scotland - STV News

when this c**t is saying shit happens, it really is over

way back in summer 2020 he did actually say on OTB that eventually this would become endemic and there would be no need to worry or even try to prevent the majority of cases, were surely at that point

Surprised he's saying that, likes the sound of his own voice. 

Yes, you absolutely are missing something.
What you are describing there is revisionism.
These countries thought they could entirely eradicate covid - i.e. zero cases through lockdown and very strict restrictions.
They repeatedly made it perfectly clear that vaccines on their own would never be enough.
They were highly critical of countries like ours for opening up even after everyone had been vaccinated, arguing strongly about variants and higher case numbers bringing proportionately higher deaths.
What's happening now is that they have had to give up trying to eradicate it.
They made the wrong call with an eradication policy but they got very lucky that vaccines were developed in the meantime.
That absolutely wasn't their intention on day 1.
Why is it important to know this?
Because when the next pandemic hits, these guys are absolutely not the model to be following.

So your saying they should have let the virus into the country when they had, to all intents and purposes, achieved zero cases and actually had a far closer normality than most other nations?
That's a bizarre take on it.

Also it has nothing to do with revisionism, and let's be honest I think we all got very lucky with the vaccines. Had there been none I suspect there would have been little appetite from the general public to open up the borders again in the likes of NZ.

On day 1 pretty much every governments policy was to eradicate it, just not many managed to keep the numbers low enough to see it as a possible goal. It was obvious we were screwed by about May 2020.

I will add it is madness to think you can keep the virus out forever. I knew I was going to get it, everyone is eventually but to keep it at bay for as long as possible is surely what most people would strive for.

7 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

So your saying they should have let the virus into the country when they had, to all intents and purposes, achieved zero cases and actually had a far closer normality than most other nations?
That's a bizarre take on it.

The largest city of Auckland had more days of lockdown than any city in the Northern Hemisphere, but tell me more about them enjoying 'far closer normality' because the three teuchters living on South Island were doing alright. 

SQA released their exam help today. They'd have been better releasing nothing. For physics it includes classics like don't spend too long on a question and spell some words right.

10 minutes ago, David W said:

SQA released their exam help today. They'd have been better releasing nothing. For physics it includes classics like don't spend too long on a question and spell some words right.

😂

The largest city of Auckland had more days of lockdown than any city in the Northern Hemisphere, but tell me more about them enjoying 'far closer normality' because the three teuchters living on South Island were doing alright. 

If 3 teuchtars is over 90% of the population of NZ, then fair do's.

That's not what I said at all.
I'm not sure what your saying at all.

It seems to be that the politicians that succesfully kept infection rates and deaths down during a period where a novel virus was running rampant and the world was scrambling for answers shouldn't be trusted to do the same again.