Coronavirus (COVID-19)

My job involves me being in and out of hospitals in Fife. Even when masks were ditched folk still wore them in the hospital settings with most hospitals having boxes of masks at the entrance and pretty much everyone adhering to wearing them. Today when I went in there was no tables at the main entrance and I didn't know why. Lots of people walking about maskless until you got onto the wards. Had no idea why or what was going on then bumped into a few of the nurses who said no longer need to wear masks if walking about the hospital and only expectation is you wear one when speaking to patients or on a ward. Anyway, the hospital I was in today was rife with COVID. 

Don’t know about the rest of fife, but we are masks in clinical areas. Wards/xray, dealing with patients etc. optional whether we wear them in the corridors.
That only started last Wednesday.

That Rachel Clarke grifter being ridiculed on Twitter for gallivanting in Ukraine as if she's holidaying in a warzone. 🥴

Also, the Greens are in the coalition government in Germany. That's €6 billion worth of masks... and environmental waste. 🤪

18 hours ago, Raithie said:

My job involves me being in and out of hospitals in Fife. Even when masks were ditched folk still wore them in the hospital settings with most hospitals having boxes of masks at the entrance and pretty much everyone adhering to wearing them. Today when I went in there was no tables at the main entrance and I didn't know why. Lots of people walking about maskless until you got onto the wards. Had no idea why or what was going on then bumped into a few of the nurses who said no longer need to wear masks if walking about the hospital and only expectation is you wear one when speaking to patients or on a ward. Anyway, the hospital I was in today was rife with COVID. 

I was at St John's in Livingston at the weekend and on entering there was a big table giving away masks and asking people to sanitise. I did both. Everyone else I saw (which was not many, to be fair) was wearing a mask also. 

I know of a few folk recently who have caught covid in hospital.  

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Really?

Rife with covid?

Which Fife-based hospital is this?

Vic in Kirkcaldy. Perhaps rife was the wrong choice of words as I was only on two wards however within those wards there were a number of patients who were COVID positive along with umpteen patients having to isolate as they were COVID contacts. I also know of a couple of community hospitals in Fife where wards are closed altogether due to COVID.

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You'd be as well wearing fishnet stockings over your head.

That's an activity I leave to the weekend 😆

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I was at St John's in Livingston at the weekend and on entering there was a big table giving away masks and asking people to sanitise. I did both. Everyone else I saw (which was not many, to be fair) was wearing a mask also. 

I know of a few folk recently who have caught covid in hospital.  

Funnily enough I'm back in the hospital today and the tables were back out with masks at the front door. Overhead the staff saying it was down to the people coming in to the hospital asking for masks. Still lots of people going about the hospital without masks until you're on a ward though.

Edited by Raithie

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

One in 20 suffer long-term Covid effects, study finds - BBC News

1 in 20 is more 250,000 people in Scotland.

There's no chance we have 250,000 with Long Covid up here.

It seems they'll publish any old shite these days without anyone feeling the need to sanity check their results.

Science eh?

Purely anecdotal, but my sister caught covid in June 2021 and still has hardly any sense of taste. It never returned. 

And in the pregnancy and parenting thread I discussed my step-daughter who was in hospital at the weekend. The doctors believe that her issue was as a result of pervious covid infections. 

Funnily enough I'm back in the hospital today and the tables were back out with masks at the front door. Overhead the staff saying it was down to the people coming in to the hospital asking for masks. Still lots of people going about the hospital without masks until you're on a ward though.

It’s probably not rife in there. They wouldn’t have let us go maskless in the corridors if it was. It maybe looks worse because if one person in a bay of four gets it, they shut the bay off. There is still a mixture of folk wearing/not wearing in corridors.

On 20/10/2022 at 13:39, peasy23 said:

BBC News - China anger over death of girl, 14, sent to Covid quarantine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-63324655

There was a harrowing video on Twitter of someone topping themselves by jumping out their apartment window. Locked down, of course.

What is happening in China is up there with anything ever dreamt up in Black Mirror. Chilling.

It was always going to end in disaster. The grifters who tried to push it here should be struck from their institutions, and anyone still trying to support it needs serious help.

Edited by Elixir

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Long article about the schools closures in the US and the long term impact of them on pupils.

https://apnews.com/article/online-school-covid-learning-loss-7c162ec1b4ce4d5219d5210aaac8f1ae

Some of the US states went a bit mad about closing schools IIRC.

we went mad here too closing schools dont forget

also see the megavaxed CDC director idiot has covid again total farce

all these lying covidian psychopaths should be in jail

50 minutes ago, Glennie said:

we went mad here too closing schools dont forget

also see the megavaxed CDC director idiot has covid again total farce

all these lying covidian psychopaths should be in jail

As predicted, these updated vaccines (based on variants no longer really circulating) appear absolutely useless against the virus strains circulating now.

Thankfully, though, these variants are also shan.

The "Winter Booster" is pointless.

9 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Long article about the schools closures in the US and the long term impact of them on pupils.

https://apnews.com/article/online-school-covid-learning-loss-7c162ec1b4ce4d5219d5210aaac8f1ae

No, the mad thing was closing everything else in society, while pretending that schools had a magic force field around them that meant they weren't causing a huge number of new cases. Because children sitting in the same room for 30 hours is inherently less risky than adults watching a football game at Ochilview.

This is borne out by the progress another seasonal respiratory virus, which is doing the exact same thing as the 'rona did:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63341574

If the intervention did not involve closing schools then it was doomed to fail.

Edited by vikingTON

On 22/01/2020 at 05:52, ICTChris said:

Authorities in China have warned that a new coronoavirus that has killed nine people could mutate further and cause more deaths.  The virus, known also as 2019-nCoV, is understood to be a new strain of coronavirus that has not previously been identified in humans.  Signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.

Cases have been reported in South Korea, the US and Thailand. 

Is it time to stock up on those little surgical masks?

Are we all completely fucked?

Should I take the Tamiflu I stockpiled for bird flu?

Have any P&Bers ever been part of a worldwide pandemic?

Anybody ken what ever happened about this?

Not got time to read 7,200 pages.

Edited by VincentGuerin

On 22/10/2022 at 21:07, ICTChris said:

My son (10) is at school today for only the 2nd time since April 2020.  He's been doing online all that time but, to be honest, he's been happy enough with that.  I'm not seeing any real negative impacts on him but not all kids are the same.