Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

It's dead simple, enforcement of taxation for all, regardless of wealth.

All that's required is political will, and that comes from the electorate. People need to stop believing that nothing can be done.

The theory is sound, the implementation is less so.   

How do you resolve the issue of tax havens?  To say they can no longer exist isn't going to wash.  We already know a percentage of rich will go live somewhere else under the current less strict tax regimen - how many more under a much stricter one?

Why?
The Chinese had a system of block captains where a party official was responsible for a street or apartment building. So anyone who needed anything had a direct contact. 

Yeah and I'm sure the state statistician was making sure they were all logged. Even the doctored figures are wrong when you look at the amount of deaths and what we now know about how this virus works which was exactly my point in the beginning. Then the Morton fan started going on one of his anti colonial tirades.

9 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

You can be certain of one thing. A lot more people will have died in their flats, with no help, in Wuhan than in London when all this is over.

I'm sure the Chinese will be desperate to report some of their valued citizens.

Given that hardly anyone lives alone in China, I wouldn't bank on that.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

The window for an effective, truncheon to the face containment policy was squandered by government dithering and inaction weeks ago.

Presumably if it's the army it'd be more a rifle butt to the teeth, but regardless you were well up for that during the window where it was an option?

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Why?

The Chinese had a system of block captains where a party official was responsible for a street or apartment building. So anyone who needed anything had a direct contact. 

They weren't wheeling ventilators in. 

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The theory is sound, the implementation is less so.   

How do you resolve the issue of tax havens?  To say they can no longer exist isn't going to wash.  We already know a percentage of rich will go live somewhere else under the current less strict tax regimen - how many more under a much stricter one?

Yeah, that's up to the rich countries to show leadership on. The problem is that America has become the leading one.

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

You're arguing with a point I haven't made, in a startlingly on-brand response.

Of course the UK and America's responses have been shite. But China's has been shite and dishonest.

The UK has made a complete arse of it by not getting testing in order and giving out stupid public messages. But China is just lying about its numbers. There's simply no question about that.

China’s response in terms of public health outcomes has certainly been poor compared to its region. But it was also location of the first outbreak of an entirely novel virus, so a poorer handle on initial events is to be expected (and once proper measures were taken, the results have been highly effective). I couldn’t really give a toss about honesty.

The UK and US’ responses have been objectively far worse though, despite having all the advance notice in the world from China and Italy to get their act together. And so the reason why we’re seeing all these tears and snotters now about the Chinese figures is because the virus has exposed the failures of two particularly incompetent states in the West and its leaders don’t want the general public to make less than flattering comparisons with other countries.

Just now, JTS98 said:

Yeah, that's up to the rich countries to show leadership on. The problem is that America has become the leading one.

I don't disagree, I just know it's not realistic to expect rich people to give away their money to the poor.  We are basically asking the accused to be their own judge, jury and executioner - won't happen.  

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Has vton always sooked the chinese boaby or is this a recent development?

^^^ bangs pots and pans together in the street like a melt on his government’s behalf 

5 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Nobody is saying that.

There's a difference between massively cocking up the testing process and deliberately under-reporting your numbers. The Chinese have and seemingly still are indulging in the latter.

The under-reporting at the beginning made it harder for the rest of the world to figure out what it was dealing with. Under reporting now will give the rest of the world a confusing picture of what to expect in terms of a second/third wave.

But you're actually complaining that they're not testing all symptomatic cases when basically only South Korea is doing that. If I call the NHS and report classic symptoms, I'm still not tested. That's just as deliberate under reporting as anything you've described.

As for warnings, Chinese researchers published articles *in English* in the BMJ by the end of Jan warning of the severity and high hospitalisation and IC rates with this disease.

China undoubtedly messed things up but it's hard to see at all how things would have been significantly different here if China had reported more cases. We knew if was serious. Their reported death rate from Hubei almost certainly *overstates* the true CFR.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Soundbites today pointing towards not even contemplating reviewing the lockdown next week. Will be interesting to see how they handle this.

The businesses I know, including my own, had anticipated reopening on Monday 13 April.

I don’t think that should happen but clear guidance is needed, and not at 8.30 on a Monday evening.

‘A country like China’ = one that has recent experience of combatting serious airborne epidemics (H5N1 flu; SARS) and whose authorities learned important lessons as a result. As have most countries in the Asia-Pacific region, which is why none of them have made a rip-roaring c**t of it like the UK and US.

This is all extremely straightforward stuff that none of your tears and snorters can dispute.

The national authorities only stepped in once local officials admitted there was a problem.

Li Keqiang himself warned them in late March not to conceal figures - which implies that they had been doing so beforehand.

You're arguing with a point I haven't made, in a startlingly on-brand response.
Of course the UK and America's responses have been shite. But China's has been shite and dishonest.
The UK has made a complete arse of it by not getting testing in order and giving out stupid public messages. But China is just lying about its numbers. There's simply no question about that.

Get used the standard deflecting whataboutery response from Methadone Mick.