Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

and satellites can help grow their economy to potentially provide better water. 

It could, but it won’t. It will get trousered by the select few.

Governments all over the world have been asleep at the wheel in terms of taxation.  Until tax is agreed at a world level it will be forever thus.

It's maddening reading Americans exapseratedly asking "in our time of need where are the billionaires?". It's like a lot of them genuinely think these people are like Tony Stark.
Yeah, they got to where they are by being nice.

[emoji38]

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

In all seriousness though these are human beings with mortgages to pay so let me just say that whatever your politics it'd be best if they all lost their jobs and met financial ruin.

They might have a child on the way

10 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I'll mention it but she thinks I'm on here too much. She wouldn't want to be a hypocrite.  🍞

^^^I-don't-want-her-to-read-my-posts type post

Guest JTS98
17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure if you can fund all that on $5 a day, hopefully they'll build towards it though.

That's the point. The current set-up just takes money out of the system and away from everyone else.

Those poor people on Indian streets with nothing to eat aren't going anywhere. The money generated by the Indian economy simply leaves the economy and is hoarded by a tiny number of people. That makes progress on a large scale essentially impossible.

It's not as simple as taking a billion dollars and dividing it by the number of people in the country. It's about providing the social infrastructure required to promote growth, provide necessities, and encourage opportunity.

Some startling figures here. https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/07/india-mega-rich-are-on-rise-inequality/

Highlights being 73% of wealth generated in India in 2017 went to 1% of the population.

10% of the population holds 77% of India's wealth.

63m Indians are pushed into poverty because of healthcare costs every year.

Edited by JTS98

10 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Of all the nurses in the world I can’t say I’d choose a fat, ugly one with veiny tits tbh.

Oot the road then.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

So the upshot in all of this is, either you'll die in the near future from it. Or if you survive you'll most probably be unemployed and lose your house.

Can't see football, gigs, pubs, restaurants on the go until a vaccine arrives, which is probably a couple of years away.

Tough times.

tenor.gif

They might have a child on the way
Too many folk missed the nuanced point about not wishing someone dead - and genuinely not caring about them at all.

Most folk i speak to are not at all saddened by the prospect of him dying (or anyone at the sun for that matter).

But actively hoping for someone's death just seems a step too far.

So hoping that all sun employees (especially the decision makers) are financially ruined by this is definitely acceptable.

(yes i am assuming the title of moral guardian of p&b... for the time being anyway)

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

America looks fucked.

Imagine a system based on ability to pay, coupled with an incompetent and probably criminally negligent president,  being unable to cope with a pandemic.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Imagine a system based on ability to pay, coupled with an incompetent and probably criminally negligent president,  being unable to cope with a pandemic.  

Just dont be black and poor in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/us/coronavirus-race.html

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't understand when people say that. It makes a smaller number of sick people seem more important than a larger number of sick people.

If people want to compare how bad things are in various countries deaths per million is the number to look for. The US is not in the leading pack on that because they only have a serious problem in a few of their larger cities so far where there is greater population density and people use public transport at western European sort of levels.

That’s probably because you’ve fallen for the current tears and snotters meltdown of the UK and US media, as China records literally zero daily deaths while their own governments contrive to make a roaring c**t of it on a daily basis.
You genuinely think that Wuhan, a city of 12 million people, where people were literally getting welded into their flats records less deaths than New York or London.

Aye nae bother. Wouldn't surprise me if it's tens of thousands in that city alone.