Scottish Accents/ Dialects

1 hour ago, deadasdillinger said:

So thanks to P&B, I've known for a while that Dundonians are weirdos who call roundabouts "circles"

But this week on holiday in Piperdam, just outside Dundee, I heard a new one...

Was buying the wee man pancakes from the Asda cafe when the girl serving asked "Do you want me to cozy the pancakes?"

Naturally, I looked at her like she had two heads and said "What?", at which point her and her colleague repeated: "Cozy them. Cozy the pancakes."

Apparently it means warm them up. 

Is this another weirdo Dundee thing?

:lol:

I knew what it meant as soon as I read it, but I might have had difficulty understanding it if someone had spoken it to me.

On 31/01/2020 at 12:40, Arch Stanton said:

From Helensburgh through Greenock to the northern boundary of Beith, east through Paisley, Glasgow to Newhouse and North & South Lanarkshire.. this is the Ken-free zone.

I would say the ‘Ken-free zone’ ends at Howwood on the western side of your border. The difference in dialect between Howwood and Beith is noticeable, and if you travel a couple of miles down the road to Kilbirnie it’s a different planet, in more ways than one. 

3 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

So thanks to P&B, I've known for a while that Dundonians are weirdos who call roundabouts "circles"

But this week on holiday in Piperdam, just outside Dundee, I heard a new one...

Was buying the wee man pancakes from the Asda cafe when the girl serving asked "Do you want me to cozy the pancakes?"

Naturally, I looked at her like she had two heads and said "What?", at which point her and her colleague repeated: "Cozy them. Cozy the pancakes."

Apparently it means warm them up. 

Didn't take you long to pick up some of the lingo. Nice touch!

Edited by Cosmic Joe

Everyone has an accent, and the West Central is one of the most easily identifiable. 
They'd also almost certainly reply to you by saying "definitely" despite their strange inability to pronounce this simple word. 
Therefore, I call shenanigans. 
Or saying December as if there's a bee in the middle of the word.

The other one that gets on my tits is the inability to pronounce the letter J.

3 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Asda mummy cafe weirdo talk. Never heard anyone say that. 

It's exactly what you deserve for making your children eat in an Asda cafe, btw. 

I would say the ‘Ken-free zone’ ends at Howwood on the western side of your border. The difference in dialect between Howwood and Beith is noticeable, and if you travel a couple of miles down the road to Kilbirnie it’s a different planet, in more ways than one. 

Beith/Kilbirnie/Dalry is the Scottish equivalent of the Bermuda triangle, strange, strange things happen there...

59 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Asda mummy cafe weirdo talk. Never heard anyone say that. 

It's exactly what you deserve for making your children eat in an Asda cafe, btw. 

Fair comment. It wouldn't have been my choice. 

We followed it by having an absolutely fantastic lunch in Mitchell's in St Andrews, so it wasn't all bad.

3 minutes ago, scw1987 said:
3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Beith/Kilbirnie/Dalry is the Scottish equivalent of the Bermuda triangle, strange, strange things happen there...

I would strongly agree with that. A friend of mine played junior football in Ayrshire a few years back and I would go along to most of his games. There was many towns/villages that I traveled to that was like going back to the 1970’s. Maybole was one that sticks out, it makes Paisley look like Monte Carlo. 

3 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Just a personal thing and obviously a bit of neighbouring town rivalry being a Stirling boy myself but the way a lot of people from Falkirk pronounce it as 'Fawkirk' absolutely boils my piss.

I’m on a job with a few guys from Falkirk/Stenhousemuir just now, and every word that comes out their mouth boils my piss. I used to work up in Aberdeenshire with a bunch of guys from Fraserburgh and Peterhead and I would rather listen to their nonsense over the Falkirk guys. 

There’s an older guy from Bonnybridge who speaks in the exact same manner as the ‘Limmy - That Accent’ skit, only after everything he says he adds ‘kinda hing’ to the end of it, wether it makes sense or not. 

‘Was talking to the boss there eh, says we’ve to pack the tools up eh, get oursel up the road eh, kinda hing’. 

5 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Nothing is as batshit as that north-east nonsense of replacing words beginning with "wh" with "f". 

Who started that? 

You even hear it as far south as Arbroath. 

Stop finging, ya wee fippersnapper.

7 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Nothing is as batshit as that north-east nonsense of replacing words beginning with "wh" with "f". 

Who started that? 

You even hear it as far south as Arbroath. 

Whuck you, sister whelching Whifer!

Edited by welshbairn