The Derek Mackay texts and the Scottish Budget

Mastermind

11 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Big companies undertake detailed due diligence on personal behaviour when making senior appointments such as Finance Director.

Why should politics be any different? Politicians in all parties have a duty of care to the voters, party members and staff to ensure that Parliamentarians are fit for office.

What If the behaviour only came to light after the appointment? If he's still doing the job to an acceptable standard and isn't embarrassing the party publicly (before the last few days) then it would be hard to justify the sacking.

Point being that pretty major assumptions have to be made about what the behaviour was, how unacceptable it was and when the SNP became aware of it before you can confidently say that they should have known to remove him.

The whole energetic young men at nightclubs thing sounds like borderline homophobia that the tabloids would print freely before but are only confident to post now because the guys involved in another scandal and no-one wants to sound like they're defending him in any way.

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Is going to nightclubs, per se , an indication of loose morality and/or unfitness for office? 

Where did I say that? That's a ridiculous attempt at deflection.

Big companies do look at alcohol intake (can be estimated during medicals) when making senior appointments. Personal behaviour outside work is one of the factors that is taken into account.  If my memory is correct, Barclays Bank withdrew a major job offer (Chairman or Chief Exec) when the medical revealed the successful candidate's alcohol consumption.

Historically, Parliamentarians' personal behaviour has been included in the vetting process. During the Cold War, there was the risk that Ministers could be blackmailed by other countries' secret services. 

2 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Where did I say that? That's a ridiculous attempt at deflection.

Big companies do look at alcohol intake (can be estimated during medicals) when making senior appointments. Personal behaviour outside work is one of the factors that is taken into account.  If my memory is correct, Barclays Bank withdrew a major job offer (Chairman or Chief Exec) when the medical revealed the successful candidate's alcohol consumption.

Historically, Parliamentarians' personal behaviour has been included in the vetting process. During the Cold War, there was the risk that Ministers could be blackmailed by other countries' secret services. 

Sorry, see my edit, I realised after posting I looked like I was deflecting/defending him. What you're saying is valid, but nowhere does it mention a specific level of alcohol consumption, and at no point in that Herald article does anyone actually say Nicola Sturgeon 'banned shamed Derek Mackay from drinking at SNP conferences'. 

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Sorry, see my edit, I realised after posting I looked like I was deflecting/defending him. What you're saying is valid, but nowhere does it mention a specific level of alcohol consumption, and at no point in that Herald article does anyone actually say Nicola Sturgeon 'banned shamed Derek Mackay from drinking at SNP conferences'. 

Mackay himself?

'Mr Mackay, who was suspended from the party yesterday, even joked at the 2017 party conference that attendees would not be seeing him at the pub after the event as “Nicola won’t let me”. '

Has Mackay said that Sturgeon did not ban him from drinking at conferences?

14 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Mackay himself?

'Mr Mackay, who was suspended from the party yesterday, even joked at the 2017 party conference that attendees would not be seeing him at the pub after the event as “Nicola won’t let me”. '

Has Mackay said that Sturgeon did not ban him from drinking at conferences?

M9, they put the word joked in their own copy... Again, he is clearly not fit for office, and there should be some sort of internal inquiry into his behaviour and the party's responses and safeguarding. 

Regardless, the implication that gay men who drink or go to nightclubs are, by their definition, untrustworthy, especially in a culture like politics where hard drinking is far from outside the norm, is enough to raise an eyebrow. If you can't see that I can't help you.

8 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

M9, they put the word joked in their own copy... Again, he is clearly not fit for office, and there should be some sort of internal inquiry into his behaviour and the party's responses and safeguarding. 

Regardless, the implication that gay men who drink or go to nightclubs are, by their definition, untrustworthy, especially in a culture like politics where hard drinking is far from outside the norm, is enough to raise an eyebrow. If you can't see that I can't help you.

That's not view. I don't read or pay any attention to the tabloids.

I have a very low opinion of most politicians, television presenters and journalists.

Nothing surprises me any more.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Big companies undertake detailed due diligence on personal behaviour when making senior appointments such as Finance Director.

Why should politics be any different? Politicians in all parties have a duty of care to the voters, party members and staff to ensure that Parliamentarians are fit for office.

Sometimes I suppose, but clearly not always. You will remember the Crystal Methodist appointed Chairman of The Co-operative bank.

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Where does it say that? Looks like the first she knew of it was a phone call from from the Sun editor.

20 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

That's classic whataboutery deflection. 

How many senior Cabinet Ministers in other parties have been caught bombarding a 16 year old boy (or girl) with hundreds of text messages?

If Mackay was a Tory or Labour Minister, the SNP would be straight on the phone to the police.

Certain politicians are just too big too get caught.

I have no doubt Boris is a fiddly wee beastie. But that’s fine, because he’s PM of the UK. Just as it’s fine for him to be a wife beater and a vile racist dick.

1 minute ago, BawWatchin said:

Certain politicians are just too big too get caught.

I have no doubt Boris is a fiddly wee beastie. But that’s fine, because he’s PM of the UK. Just as it’s fine for him to be a wife beater and a vile racist dick.

A famous Liberal PM a 100 years used to walk the streets late at night looking for hookers and take them back to No.10 

Claimed he was trying to save them by giving them a good talking to.

2 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

A famous Liberal PM a 100 years used to walk the streets late at night looking for hookers and take them back to No.10 

Claimed he was trying to save them by giving them a good talking to.

Don’t really take issue with 2 consenting adults having sex tbh.

7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I’m sure there’s documented footage somewhere of me enthusiastically murdering Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears. RIP my political career.

Speak for yourself, I was given a pay rise after my manager was moved to tears by my hauntingly beautiful take on Dolly Parton's 9 to 5.

I am however blacklisted for construction jobs. 'We Built this City on Rock and Roll' is 'dangerous idealism' apparently.