Amazon Prime

Savage Henry

On 21/07/2021 at 06:45, Empty It said:

I think the interface on Netflix & Amazon is deliberately like this so you have to scroll through all the shite to find what you're looking for. It's the streaming service equivalent of shops putting essentials as far away from the front door as possible so you have to walk past everything else.

Except that doesn't make sense, certainly in the case of netflix. They've already got your money. There are a lot of add-ons available on Prime, but you'll only see a movie you fancy and find it costs half as much as the entire service to rent so many times before you automatically check for the wee "Prime" banner over the corner of the thumbnail. That's how it's worked for me, at least. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Welcome To Leith.  It’s about a small working class town in middle America which, for one reason or another, is being taking over by a handful of neo-nazis.   The locals, of course, aren’t standing for it and stand up to defend the town’s one resident of colour.   

Edited by Savage Henry

On 08/08/2021 at 07:49, Savage Henry said:

Watched Welcome To Leith.  It’s about a small working class town in middle America which, for one reason or another, is being taking over by a handful of neo-nazis.   The locals, of course, aren’t standing for it and stand up to defend the town’s one resident of colour.   

I remember watching that a couple of years ago and the POC guy jokingly describing himself as "The black community" and the main guy Cobb's little tagalong being the stereotypical  simpleton I've come to expect as a prime example of the master race. Did he not wander into a town hall meeting and just start yelling "white power" at everyone? Can't remember if it was in the documentary or not but that Cobb guy ended taking a DNA test for The Trisha show and it came back saying he was 14% black 

• 3 weeks later...

James May is doing another "Our man in.." this time in America.

Feel like Stephen Fry's American road trip is the definitive Brit across in the states, although that could be an unpopular opinion.

Will be interesting to see how he gets in when their culture is broadly aligned with ours, unless he gets drawn into gun control.

On 09/08/2021 at 18:20, Torpar said:

I remember watching that a couple of years ago and the POC guy jokingly describing himself as "The black community" and the main guy Cobb's little tagalong being the stereotypical  simpleton I've come to expect as a prime example of the master race. Did he not wander into a town hall meeting and just start yelling "white power" at everyone? Can't remember if it was in the documentary or not but that Cobb guy ended taking a DNA test for The Trisha show and it came back saying he was 14% black 

Yeah.  Cobb was a malevolent piece of work, but the tagalong was a simpleton with clear learning / developmental / anger  issues,  he resorted to “white power” whenever he lost an argument or didn’t get his way.  Real Deliverance stuff.   

clicked on an episode of 'Weegies' last night.

Scottish comedy allegedly.  What a load of pish.   Couple of lines made me laugh but the majority of the acting and characters were terrible.

I only watched the first one and that was enough so it may have got better but I seriously doubt it.

Its a shame we cant have a good situation comedy in Scotland with young folk in it.  Most I watched just seem to over use the word "bawbag" to try and get cheap laughs and are far too obvious -all seemed to be aimed at folk who find Janey Godley funny.  

Ireland seems to do a lot better at that sort of thing.

5 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

clicked on an episode of 'Weegies' last night.

Scottish comedy allegedly.  What a load of pish.   Couple of lines made me laugh but the majority of the acting and characters were terrible.

I only watched the first one and that was enough so it may have got better but I seriously doubt it.

Its a shame we cant have a good situation comedy in Scotland with young folk in it.  Most I watched just seem to over use the word "bawbag" to try and get cheap laughs and are far too obvious -all seemed to be aimed at folk who find Janey Godley funny.  

Ireland seems to do a lot better at that sort of thing.

Hardy Bucks is a prime example of this. 

• 5 months later...

Thanks to using Nord VPN, I watched the second season of Take us Home - Leeds United. Decent watch, I find the lower league a lot more interesting than the Premier league, as much as I don't like the club, I thought the majority of the people featured were good people, but that one fan had me crossing my fingers that Leeds stayed down, even though I knew the final outcome.

Can't remember his name but he seems to try too hard to be "one of t'lads" when he's clearly a bit middle class. His back garden bar with "I got locked down... but I get up again" on the wall made me want to throw up. And he reckoned the lockdown was a good time. Bellend

18 minutes ago, steelmen said:

running through Supernatural from the start. Forgot how good it was back at the start before they got real weird in the middle

We're working through Supernatural just now, currently in season 9. First five seasons were great, now its a bit all over the place but still enjoyable.

3 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

We're working through Supernatural just now, currently in season 9. First five seasons were great, now its a bit all over the place but still enjoyable.

I am sure i read somewhere that they had 7-8 seasons of material but it kept on being renewed so they just kept adding stuff.

Watched the first episode of Reacher last night. Seems positive so far and the lead actor is the type of guy you'd expect to play Reacher (not Tom Cruise). I'd say that Reacher seems to be a more upbeat character in the TV series than I took from the books.

3 hours ago, spud131 said:

Watched the first episode of Reacher last night. Seems positive so far and the lead actor is the type of guy you'd expect to play Reacher (not Tom Cruise). I'd say that Reacher seems to be a more upbeat character in the TV series than I took from the books.

Is it a book per episode or some long drawn out thing?

P.S. He always seemed quite upbeat with the ladies in the books, men he generally just battered! 

Edited by welshbairn

On 03/02/2022 at 11:19, steelmen said:

I am sure i read somewhere that they had 7-8 seasons of material but it kept on being renewed so they just kept adding stuff.

I think they had scheduled 5 series but, as you say, it kept being renewed and the storylines became more convoluted. 

P.S. He always seemed quite upbeat with the ladies in the books, men he generally just battered! 
The first series (8 episodes) is based the first book with bits of some of the Reacher short stories mixed in, not quite sure how that's going to work, possibly just filling in abit more backstory.

6 minutes ago, spud131 said:
2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The first series (8 episodes) is based the first book with bits of some of the Reacher short stories mixed in, not quite sure how that's going to work, possibly just filling in abit more backstory.

I wish the Americans wouldn't drag these things out so much, I get bored a few episodes in usually. 

10 hours ago, spud131 said:

Just finished the first one, not bad at all. Clever use of camera angles to make him look taller than the actor is, always thought of Reacher in the books as more wiry than body builder looking though.