2020/2021 Scottish Cup

Burnie_man

Is there potential for a bit of conflict here between SFA and SPFL( I think HL will be happy for their sides to play whenever with them not getting the go ahead for league fixtures.)

I guess the SFA wouldn't mind too much to delay semi-finals and final into next season with the possibility for fans, but they'll be desperately keen to get the rounds before then played.  Alternatively the SPFL might be unwilling to give up dates if the L1/2 go ahead with 27 games.

Obviously the SFA can put their foot down if they want, but i'm sure they'd prefer for it to be done by agreement.

4 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Is there potential for a bit of conflict here between SFA and SPFL( I think HL will be happy for their sides to play whenever with them not getting the go ahead for league fixtures.)

I guess the SFA wouldn't mind too much to delay semi-finals and final into next season with the possibility for fans, but they'll be desperately keen to get the rounds before then played.  Alternatively the SPFL might be unwilling to give up dates if the L1/2 go ahead with 27 games.

Obviously the SFA can put their foot down if they want, but i'm sure they'd prefer for it to be done by agreement.

In both cases, it's basically the same clubs who make the decisions. Alan Burrows at Motherwell has already been on the record as saying he wants the Scottish Cup done this season to ensure that the European place (and guaranteed group stage football) is up for grabs for the competition. I'd imagine most other full-time clubs will be keen for it to go ahead this season for the same reason.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In both cases, it's basically the same clubs who make the decisions. Alan Burrows at Motherwell has already been on the record as saying he wants the Scottish Cup done this season to ensure that the European place (and guaranteed group stage football) is up for grabs for the competition. I'd imagine most other full-time clubs will be keen for it to go ahead this season for the same reason.

It is the clubs, but it’s a different set up clubs.  You have the SFA who need to make sure the commercial contract goes ahead for the benefit of all members, about half of which couldn’t give a f**k about implications to spfl contracts.   Where you have spfl where the have 15 league 1/2 clubs involved who will have concerns on scheduling.   I do think premiership/championship clubs will be happy to get on with it given they don’t have the same concerns over scheduling.

I think ultimately it will be completed this year.  I see the SFA were keen to state their intentions to post a revised schedule,  I wouldn’t be surprised to see that come out by the start of next week, which the spfl who have tougher task scheduling games(and may wish to give time to discussions on 18 game season) left fitting their games around it,  but I certainly expect some dissent from some over needing to play cup ties when they have so many league games to play.

Dates are confirmed, and they have obviously come to some sort of arrangement to allow the final to be played a couple of weeks later after all.

Scottish Cup 2020/21 Fixture Dates

Second Round: Tuesday, 23 March
Third Round: Saturday, 3 April
Fourth Round: Saturday, 17 April
Fifth Round: Saturday, 24 April
Semi-Finals:Saturday, 8 & Sunday, 9 May
Final: Saturday, 22 May

R4 and R5 clash with the first two scheduled rounds of post-split Premiership fixtures, but those will probably be moved to the weekend of the 10th April and the midweek of the 20th/21st April. There are currently Championship fixtures scheduled for each of Rounds 3, 4 and 5 - I guess most of those will get moved midweek, but some might still be able to play weekends if the clubs get papped out (Alloa are out already).

Edited by craigkillie

How will these affect the Premiership playoffs dates?

They are unchanged. Potentially the second leg would have to move from the Sunday to the following midweek if one of the sides reached the Scottish Cup final, but this is the case in most years.

They are unchanged. Potentially the second leg would have to move from the Sunday to the following midweek if one of the sides reached the Scottish Cup final, but this is the case in most years.
Also the playoff quarter final if a team that finishes 3rd or 4th in the Championship also made the Cup Semis.

5 hours ago, true_rover said:
8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Also the playoff quarter final if a team that finishes 3rd or 4th in the Championship also made the Cup Semis.

Hadn't noticed this, but yes. Would obviously only be a slim chance of this, but it would have a knock-on effect on all the subsequent rounds.

4 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Anybody any idea when BBC Scotland will announce what 3rd round FA cup ties they will be showing live?

Possible After the 2nd round has been completed. They will want to maximise viewership and choose the games with most interest. They will probably announce it in around 2 weeks time just a week before the games are due to be played.

Some prize for any club outwith the OF to win the cup. Even more so than usual.

Guaranteed European football right up to Christmas by way of Europa League qualification...even if the Europa League playoff is lost, the consolation prize is to drop into the Europa Conference group stage.

"12.5 When a Match which is postponed, drawn, or abandoned is played or replayed, only those Players who were eligible, by means of their registration, to be listed on the Official Team Line for a Club at the date fixed for originally playing the Match, are eligible to be listed on the Official Team Line for that Club for the rescheduled Match"

has this been changed given the suspension by the SFA/government and length of it? if not it will cause havoc for a few clubs on Tuesday with the amount of signings they have made and cannot use them.