Scotland v Israel

Smokerson

9 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

No issue with Dykes getting in squad, but what's he actually done?

I have more issue with Shankland getting called up. He hasn't kicked a ball this season. 

15 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

No issue with Dykes getting in squad, but what's he actually done?

Made a mockery of both OF clubs last season, whilst being fast and strong.  Also played for a less fancied outfit.

I personally don't see many better options at the moment up front, so perhaps the best answer is "why not?"

EDIT: See when we do stuff like this?  It infuriates even more that we'd do this whilst not calling up/playing Griffiths or Fletcher when they were at their very best...

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Fraser didn't even contact Clarke. Just one of the fitness coaches.
I don't know how footballers normally act in these situations but it did seem like Clarke felt Fraser should have spoken directly to him.
Pretty happy with the squad. Thought a couple of the ones playing in England might not have made it but if Clarke thinks their will be no issues with their lack of recent matches then so be it.

If someone were to ask me of the ten most deserving outfield players of Scotland game time given their form/ abilities in no particular order I would go: 
Robertson, tierney, Mcginn, Armstrong, mctominay, fleck, Forrest, Jack, Christie, mcgregor.
how many can we shoe horn into one team before it becomes utterly ludicrous and counter productive? 
Questions-
1- do you shoe horn Tierney into CB? I’d probably go yes. 
2- which midfielders do you have to play? Realistically either Mctominay or Jack to keep shape. Forrest as we become unable to stretch teams without him 
3- can you get off without playing a striker? I think no so someone else has to play 
4- can any of these guys play right back? No so another can’t play 
You end up with a right back, a centre back and a striker who probably aren’t in our best players but have to play, Just the nature of it and three guys who have a good claim getting turfed. Pretty unfortunate and bound to be arguments as I could make a case for all ten of the above to start but 3 can’t. Jack and Mcgregor I wouldn’t then justifying the next is immensely difficult 

Tierney has played RB before for Scotland and done well. Also, semi-ironic suggestion given who our second opponents are but I wonder if a false-9 type formation could work for us. Not the full on 4-6-0 shitfest of Craig Levein but more like the formation Liverpool play where the centre forward drops deep to get involved in the build up play and the creativity mainly comes from the full backs and wingers. I think this could really play to our strengths

Marshall

Tierney/Palmer - Cooper - McKenna/Tierney - Robertson

McGinn - Jack/McTominay - Fleck/McGregor

Forrest - Armstrong - Christie

1 minute ago, buddies1877 said:

Don’t know why there is 2 Motherwell defenders in that squad when they have been shite so far this season.

Because they've been in all of the recent squads and it would be weird to drop them on the basis of a handful of games at the start of a new season?

On paper, we really are only a couple players away from having a pretty decent side, just a shame that those positions include centre back and striker.

100% agree with what people have said about McGregor. Clearly one of the best players in Scotland year on year, but has never really turned up for Scotland. Don't think its for lack of trying as he always at least puts a shift in, but just hasn't really ever worked for him. Same boat as Forrest (those 2 games a couple years ago aside). 

Also get what someone said about McGinn being a pain in the arse to play in midfield beside. He is a bit of a headless chicken at times and would us the absolute fear playing in a more defensive mid position. But he scores goals, so is an absolute must in the starting XI just now since no one else seems too capable.

Personally, the only player I would be genuinely raging if they weren't starting would be Ryan Christie. IMO he has the potential to be our best and most important player by quite a way.

3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

On paper, we really are only a couple players away from having a pretty decent side, just a shame that those positions include centre back and striker.

100% agree with what people have said about McGregor. Clearly one of the best players in Scotland year on year, but has never really turned up for Scotland. Don't think its for lack of trying as he always at least puts a shift in, but just hasn't really ever worked for him. Same boat as Forrest (those 2 games a couple years ago aside). 

Also get what someone said about McGinn being a pain in the arse to play in midfield beside. He is a bit of a headless chicken at times and would us the absolute fear playing in a more defensive mid position. But he scores goals, so is an absolute must in the starting XI just now since no one else seems too capable.

Personally, the only player I would be genuinely raging if they weren't starting would be Ryan Christie. IMO he has the potential to be our best and most important player by quite a way.

Agree re McGregor and Forrest in particular. With the exception of one game I cannot remember Forrest contributing very much at international level and would much rather see McGinn, Armstrong and Christie ahead of him.

It always pains me trying to select a competent and balanced team for Scotland given how limited we are at the centre back and striker positions.

I'd select Robertson ahead of Tierney at left back but, unless he is going to 3 at the back, I'd have Tierney in ahead of any of our right back options.

McLaughlin

Tierney  Cooper  McKenna  Robertson

Jack      McTominay

Christie          McGinn       Armstrong

McBurnie

McLaughlin

Palmer Cooper Tierney Robertson

Armstrong McTominay 

Christie       McGinn       Forest

McBurnie

Agree that we are only two players away from having a very good team, big question marks remain of the back 4 and McBurnie's ability to lead the line effectively at International level. 

I do think Clarke will try and find a place for Jack or Mclean siting in front of the back 4 but I would prefer not to see that, certainly in the home games anyway.

39 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

This could be one of the worst forward lines ever assembled in a Scotland team.

Absolutely not. McBurnie is doing well in the top end of the English Premier League and Dykes has just secured a 2mil move down to England. TBF I don't know what Oli Burke has done to deserve a call up: the boy is absolute mince. I also have no idea why Lawrence Shankland was picked, who hasn't kicked a ball at all this season. I guess it shows though how little options we have, but I believe we've called up worse. I can't think of any other candidates tbh. Kevin Nisbet maybe but he is injured. Ross Stewart has started well at Ross County this season, so could argue the case for him. 

I can remember a time we were playing guys like Nigel Quashie, Scott Dobie and Kevin Kyle up front. That was brutal. 

Because they've been in all of the recent squads and it would be weird to drop them on the basis of a handful of games at the start of a new season?

Recent?? When was the last scotland game played.

Your place should never be guaranteed just because you were in the last few squads.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I honestly can't fathom why a team struggling to find 2 capable centre backs would opt to play a formation that requires 3 of them, but that appears to be what Clarke is thinking. Having both O'Donnell and Palmer there makes no sense if your plan is to play Tierney at right back, which is what we all thought would happen. I'd have dropped one of those guys, probably O'Donnell but aside from that I think the squad is pretty strong.

Will see what Clarke goes with but I haven't enjoyed any of the games we've played with 3 centre halves before.

You answer your own question.

29 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Recent?? When was the last scotland game played.

Your place should never be guaranteed just because you were in the last few squads.

Nobody's place in the squad is guaranteed outside of a small handful, but there are hardly other centre-backs or right-backs knocking down the door at the moment.

34 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Absolutely not. McBurnie is doing well in the top end of the English Premier League and Dykes has just secured a 2mil move down to England. TBF I don't know what Oli Burke has done to deserve a call up: the boy is absolute mince. I also have no idea why Lawrence Shankland was picked, who hasn't kicked a ball at all this season. I guess it shows though how little options we have, but I believe we've called up worse. I can't think of any other candidates tbh. Kevin Nisbet maybe but he is injured. Ross Stewart has started well at Ross County this season, so could argue the case for him. 

I can remember a time we were playing guys like Nigel Quashie, Scott Dobie and Kevin Kyle up front. That was brutal. 

Quashie was midfield