Chelsea looking at buying SPFL Club

8 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I don’t know what I’m reading here, are Tam and Co out for a bit of Sunday morning fishing? If so they’ve caught a live one here. 

Ignoring the fact that Chelsea are one of the most racist, right wing clubs on the British Isles, no self-respecting football fan would want to be another clubs Colt side.

There would be a massive turnover of players, club legends would be a thing of the past, the management would be handicapped in who they could play, you’d have small, rotund bald men in flat caps coming up to watch us now and again. The club would have no soul.

The arguments for it are like something used in that debater segment on AVFTT. 

Honest answer - I think that the club is quite vulnerable right now as far as takeovers go. The thing in the Courier (this week I think) gave the view, with some credibility, that we're not a club that would attract a 'normal' buyer. I can absolutely see our current owners looking at something like a bigger football club taking over, because that's a fairly normal business situation - vertical integration. 

I've been playing devil's advocate as I think that there would be many downsides over time, though perhaps not immediately. I don't know how you keep the 'soul' of a local club though unless it's a local benevolent business interest (unlikely) or fan ownership (tricky). 

Good point about the racism. They are indeed horrible. 

34 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Chelsea are obsessive compulsive hoarders of youth players.

'Had a laugh at this bit - ''They also believe the local Scottish players would benefit from having Chelsea's top youth prospects playing alongside them.'' Indeed Chelsea will be sending their top youth prospects up here, Aye sure. Before sending them off on a free to Barnet or Oxford City.

They're scuppered there then, because we've already seen their youth team captain, Ruben Sammut, and he was absolutely horseshit.

Thank goodness our tip top, ace negotiator board will tell them to get knotte... ah.

I would be mildly concerned about the timing of this article following our chairman's dispiriting interview a couple of weeks ago, but I just don't believe that the Browns would ever agree to something like this. It will surely be one of the perennial 'basket case' clubs.

There’s a few clubs with dodgy owners (as always) but I’m not sure any are willing to go through with this? 

i would think they’d be more likely to create a new side and build them up, WoS league getting formed...

The only 2 who are open about being here for profit are the Americans at the Dundee clubs. Are they willingly to put enough in to give these guys the return they’d want?

38 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I would be mildly concerned about the timing of this article following our chairman's dispiriting interview a couple of weeks ago, but I just don't believe that the Browns would ever agree to something like this. It will surely be one of the perennial 'basket case' clubs.

There's the thing, it's the timing that's got me too. 

If the Browns can strike a deal where they can 'assure the fans' that the 'appropriate guarantees are in place' that the club will remain independent and autonomous, that we'll be in control of our own destiny, manager picks players and that the club can take advantage of 'all the advantages of one of the biggest teams in the world' etc and that it would be 'in the best interest of the future of the club' and with no other options on the table ....

I can absoutely see it happening. In fact I could pretty much write the press release. 

It's interesting the point about identity. Nobody thinks that we're an extension of a builder's business at the moment. There's 'selling' to, say, another local business family but selling to another football club is 'selling out'. 

I don't think it will, or should, happen. But it's not our decision at the end of the day and if Chelsea come knocking with a big cheque and an easy way out you don't think the Browns would sell and post-rationalise the decision as a win?

Why would Chelsea buy a basket case club rather than one that's financialy viable and as safe a business as you'll get in Scottish football?

22 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

It's interesting the point about identity. Nobody thinks that we're an extension of a builder's business at the moment. There's 'selling' to, say, another local business family but selling to another football club is 'selling out'. 

I don't understand what you're saying here.

Surely the fact that St Johnstone is actually a football club, is the relevant, decisive factor.

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

The only 2 who are open about being here for profit are the Americans at the Dundee clubs. Are they willingly to put enough in to give these guys the return they’d want?

Profit? Dundee clubs? :lol:

only way they'd turn a profit is if they start stealing and dealing.