Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

If there was a bad winter month with a few weeks of postponements, would they be in the same position?

Yes, they regularly are. However at least they can usually still sell hospitality for future games and such.

1 minute ago, Tannadeechee said:

No not necessarily. Dundee's would come.from a different email address than the others, have they scanned the vite at a higher resolution meaning a larger file, have they used the wrong file type and one which may be considered more likely to be compromised etc. There are a variety of reasons why. 

Knew I shouldn't have sent it in clipart form.

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Potentially. I suspect the SPFL would feel the need to gain members approval before doing so though. Notwithstanding that the Memo effectively allows them to act as a Bank, they aren't one and it would be dangerous ground to allow the Board to approve such loans without authority from the members.

Of course, they could just have asked for such approval.

Wasn’t that effectively the Rangers resolution that the “legal advice” said would have no effect?

Why not just let Thistle and QOTS play each other in July, or just before the new season is due to start. 
If Thistle win, we stay up. A draw or a QOTS victory and we're relegated.
This means a fixture schedule for next season could be established with minimal disruption. 
Play it behind closed doors at a neutral ground - Somerset Park? 
We can sell it on Pay-Per-View, get a 100 million +crowd to watch it. 
Maintain 2 meter distancing if we have to. It'll make it more interesting. 
Sell commemorate strips, mugs, tea-towels, etc. 
Give all the clubs affected a cut of the vast revenue. 

Except Ayr. 

Because it might not be QOS and Thistle that end up in the bottom 2 ?

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

If there was a bad winter month with a few weeks of postponements, would they be in the same position?

Not quite, most clubs have other sources of income other than gate receipts alone, but it's a fair point, and a number of clubs, including mine, were massively handicapped by the big winter freezes of 2010 and 2011 and needed Board support to get through them.

This in particular from Hearts statement highlights the moronic nature of the SPFL IMO:

'Our in-house lawyer contacted the SPFL to understand in what manner the Resolution was not competent, to be informed that the issue was the use of the single word “instructed” as opposed to “requested” (That the Board of the Company be authorised and instructed as follows:). I am not a lawyer but find it quite incomprehensible that this should hold up the whole process. '

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Rangers say it was only after an email exchange with the SPFL that they became aware of it. So, they seemingly don’t know what is in the Memo, Articles and Rules without having the SPFL explain it to them.

This surprises you?

As I said a few posts ago, notwithstanding that the Memo allows the SPFL to undertake the functions of a Bank if it wants to, it isn't one and I don't think it's reasonable to suggest the SPFL Board should have the power to make emergency loans to members without approval from the membership overall. They could however have asked for that permission instead of applying to close the League.

3 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

No not necessarily. Dundee's would come.from a different email address than the others, have they scanned the vite at a higher resolution meaning a larger file, have they used the wrong file type and one which may be considered more likely to be compromised etc. There are a variety of reasons why. 

Maybe Eric Drysdale knitted a voting slip and took a picture of it and the knot one, purl one detail of the design was too magnificent to get through the SPFL firewall.

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

Wasn’t that effectively the Rangers resolution that the “legal advice” said would have no effect?

I genuinely have no idea what the Rangers resolution was. It was all very vague at the time and they never published it. I see they are now saying it involved making loan to members in need.

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

It's all just credibly convenient that it's happened to the casting vote, though, isn't it?

It is. Because it is the SPFL its instantly thought of as that.

I think it was @Speroni*1 who asked what sort of things may have caused an email to "not be received", that got me involved in the whys and wherefores of ICT systems.

So yes it is convenient, but not outside the realms of credibility or reality. It also shows the issues of leaving things to the very last minute.

18 minutes ago, Arnold Layne said:

So, in the meantime, is there anything to prevent other clubs sending an email to the SPFL telling them not to count their vote?

15 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Only if they voted no.

14 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Only if they voted Yes.

I'm genuinely not kidding.

Thanks. I'm glad we've cleared that up.

1 minute ago, Arnold Layne said:

Thanks. I'm glad we've cleared that up.

To be clear I was saying "there's only something to prevent other Clubs sending an email to the SPFL telling them not to count their vote" if they've voted Yes.

I assume johnnydun means "Clubs can only change their vote if they voted No".

Guest Flash
6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This surprises you?

As I said a few posts ago, notwithstanding that the Memo allows the SPFL to undertake the functions of a Bank if it wants to, it isn't one and I don't think it's reasonable to suggest the SPFL Board should have the power to make emergency loans to members without approval from the membership overall. They could however have asked for that permission instead of applying to close the League.

It does actually. I find it hard to understand why a company that size and which presumably has some highly paid advisors couldn’t see something in the Memo that you took about two minutes to find. You’d think if they wanted loans to be made to clubs, they could have looked at the Memo, Articles and Rules and then put forward an appropriate resolution, if one is required.

1 minute ago, Flash said:

It does actually. I find it hard to understand why a company that size and which presumably has some highly paid advisors couldn’t see something in the Memo that you took about two minutes to find. You’d think if they wanted loans to be made to clubs, they could have looked at the Memo, Articles and Rules and then put forward an appropriate resolution, if one is required.

And they have Stewart Robertson on the SPFL board...

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

It's almost as though they have other reasons for not wanting to do it.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

😳 I'm not defending them here, but how the hell do you work that out? 

Because they announced the votes at 1700 on Friday night even when all votes hadn't yet been received, that's like announcing general election results when they still don't have a couple of constituencies votes, it doesn't happen. 

This opened to the floodgates for clubs being flung under the bus and all sorts of accusations and false rumours to start flying about. With the current sporting news being thin on the ground for obvious reasons you would have thought someone at the SPFL would realise this would get the whole Scottish sports journals interest allowing for the quick spread of fake news and leaks.