Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

18 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I agree.

If you use contacless payment on London transport you are automatically charged an adult rate. In theory, its possible to replicate that at a football ground with a payment device at each turnstile. However, given the confusion and potential to piss off concession fans its hard to see any real benefits.

Presumably a significant capital cost to put that into each turnstile too? I'm going to bet Transport for London have a much large annual customer base to write that off over than we do!

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Presumably a significant capital cost to put that into each turnstile too? I'm going to bet Transport for London have a much large annual customer base to write that off over than we do!

That depends on the level of sophistication. A simple, manned, card reader would actually be reasonably cheap - as in hundreds of pounds for the ground, rather than thousands. 

Thats some assumption about TfL. I suppose you might be right

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Streaming wont take away the ability to attend but it means that you then have the option of watching it on tv. So a youngster will see the Spanish league and Scottish league one through the same eyes. If it isn't streamed they will have to attend and hopefully the live experience will win out

You are effectively arguing that NOT streaming a League Two game between Stranraer and Brechin City will make it a more interesting draw versus watching Barca play Sevilla.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So, speaking as someone who has never used the London transport system, how does it know what you want and what to charge you? Or is it a flat price for all?

You scan in at one station, and scan out at another, and only then does it work out the fare and subtract it from the balance. (If for some reason you scan in but fail to scan out I think it assumes you've gone to the furthest away zone and you'll get charged the maximum fare accordingly.)

Not particularly obvious to me how that relates to football.

(Edited to add: there are many other underground systems in major cities which do indeed have a flat rate, which makes it a lot easier.)

Edited by Yoss

27 minutes ago, Yoss said:

You scan in at one station, and scan out at another, and only then does it work out the fare and subtract it from the balance. (If for some reason you scan in but fail to scan out I think it assumes you've gone to the furthest away zone and you'll get charged the maximum fare accordingly.)

Not particularly obvious to me how that relates to football.

(Edited to add: there are many other underground systems in major cities which do indeed have a flat rate, which makes it a lot easier.)

It relates only in the fact that you can pay without buying a ticket. As I said, it automatically charges an adult fare.

In Sydney, they had (still have?) a specific travel card which you had to load with credit (it could be linked to your bank account and set to automatically reload the credit once it dropped below a certain amount), and therefore adults, children and various other groups all had their own specific card. However, that was used on a daily basis and it wasn't too much of a hassle to have an extra card. The football fans who this contactless entry system would be aimed at would presumably be PATG fans (since season ticket holders would have their own ticket already), and are therefore going to a home game once a month at most. Are these folk really going to carry around an extra "football card" so they can get into a football game easily every few weeks, and are they going to bother loading it with credit?

The London Underground allows you to tap in and out with your own credit/debit card, and charges an adult fare, which is reasonable given that children typically won't have credit cards. I have no idea if they have OAP/disabled prices and how that works though. Therefore unless there's a special way of telling the club which type of customer you are this seems non-workable, or at least overly complex for a football club to handle a few hundred tickets a fortnight.

Edited by craigkillie

40 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In Sydney, they had (still have?) a specific travel card which you had to load with credit (it could be linked to your bank account and set to automatically reload the credit once it dropped below a certain amount), and therefore adults, children and various other groups all had their own specific card. However, that was used on a daily basis and it wasn't too much of a hassle to have an extra card. The football fans who this contactless entry system would be aimed at would presumably be PATG fans (since season ticket holders would have their own ticket already), and are therefore going to a home game once a month at most. Are these folk really going to carry around an extra "football card" so they can get into a football game easily every few weeks, and are they going to bother loading it with credit?

The London Underground allows you to tap in and out with your own credit/debit card, and charges an adult fare, which is reasonable given that children typically won't have credit cards. I have no idea if they have OAP/disabled prices and how that works though. Therefore unless there's a special way of telling the club which type of customer you are this seems non-workable, or at least overly complex for a football club to handle a few hundred tickets a fortnight.

The TfL Oyster Card works out the cheapest ticket for your journey after you tap out. So, if you make one underground journey, it’ll charge a single fare. If you do more than one, it’ll work out if it was cheaper to have a day ticket for a certain number of zones and so on. At some stations, particularly on the DLR you have to remember to tap out because there are no barriers (a bit like a lot of Scotrail stations). You can buy discounted cards depending on age etc.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Seems more complicated than buying a ticket and loading a QR code up IMO

For the clubs to set up and run, certainly, but not for the fan

2 hours ago, Flash said:

The TfL Oyster Card works out the cheapest ticket for your journey after you tap out. So, if you make one underground journey, it’ll charge a single fare. If you do more than one, it’ll work out if it was cheaper to have a day ticket for a certain number of zones and so on. At some stations, particularly on the DLR you have to remember to tap out because there are no barriers (a bit like a lot of Scotrail stations). You can buy discounted cards depending on age etc.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel

Not for the contactless payment you cant

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/pay-as-you-go/contactless-and-mobile-pay-as-you-go

29 minutes ago, Mr X said:

For the clubs to set up and run, certainly, but not for the fan

Not for the contactless payment you cant

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/pay-as-you-go/contactless-and-mobile-pay-as-you-go

I know. I was making the point that the Oyster card can be used for discounted tickets so that was maybe how they dealt with “concessions”. Wasn’t really commenting on the PATG stuff.  Probably more related to SD’s question from earlier in the thread, so apologies for going off topic.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I know. I was making the point that the Oyster card can be used for discounted tickets so that was maybe how they dealt with “concessions”. Wasn’t really commenting on the PATG stuff.  Probably more related to SD’s question from earlier in the thread, so apologies for going off topic.

Honestly, an iPad in the hands of a staffer, with a contactless card reader, and you say “two adults and two under 12 (+main stand or whatever, if needed), they tap plus twice in the correct columns and you tap the card. Have a designated lane or two for PATG, and it might be achievable. The issue becomes movement within a stadium with differing seating “levels”.

46 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Honestly, an iPad in the hands of a staffer, with a contactless card reader, and you say “two adults and two under 12 (+main stand or whatever, if needed), they tap plus twice in the correct columns and you tap the card. Have a designated lane or two for PATG, and it might be achievable. The issue becomes movement within a stadium with differing seating “levels”.

I dont think anyone said it wasnt achievable. The point is ... well, whats the point? A lot of clubs already offer this at ticket offices, which allows fans to buy in advance and reduces queues at the turnstile. Whats the actual benefit of moving the same transaction to the  turnstile? Yes, its possible but even the simple process you describe takes longer than handing over a paper ticket or scanning a ticket.

47 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

I see they removed the word again from the statement at the below part

we are being disproportionately disadvantaged by a decision

They must have remembered that they lost. 

Edited by itzdrk

Our fans are naturally incensed by this action, especially given what has transpired over recent months.  For the avoidance of doubt, everyone at the Club is equally incensed.  We are currently considering our options

Los Angeles Bean GIF by Working Title

57 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Testing has once again been carried out this week, with costs incurred, in anticipation of continued training.  Suffice to say that at a time when every football club in the land is managing its costs as tightly as possible, we have incurred significant “unnecessary” costs. 

Is it not the case that the Hearts benefactor who spunked millions into Scottish football will be paying for this?

With Ayrs QR code did you not have away fans just buying one QR code, then passing it on to a bunch of other away fans so they didn't have to pay? Sure that was mentioned. 

Providing there's a way for card payments at a stadium I really don't see it as being that much of an advantage, infact I don't see it as an advantage at all with regards to doing it contactless at the turnstiles... At this level anyway. 

I am kinda surprised that there hasn’t been a bigger reaction by clubs outside the premiership as it is those clubs that are affected by the actions of the premiership players.