Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

1 hour ago, forameus said:

This.  It's really only those either in a personal position of being able to get out of trouble with more games, or people wanting to get it right up someone who is in a good position.  The rest either have a personal stake in agreeing, or don't give a shit and just want their money.

It's shite for us, as we at least had the chance to get out of it, but no matter how unfair or out-of-the-blue it is, we're bottom because we've been fucking shite.  

This is true but the league is played over 36 matches and not 26, 27 or 28, your own team have indeed been poor but you still have a game in hand over the team above which had you won it, would move you out of the automatic relegation place.

From my own teams perspective, we could realistically finish in any position between 2nd and 7th depending on the results from our remaining 9 matches and most clubs are in the same situation.

There really is everything to play for in every position apart from the top due to Dundee United being the runaway leaders, although it is still within the realms of possibility that they are caught, however unlikely that may seem.

The sad thing is that once again it's all boiling down to money and every club looking after themselves rather than the bollocks of "sporting integrity" that we often hear spouted. 

Being honest due to the McCALL saga I wanted Thistle relegated, but certainly NOT like this,  I just believe it's completely unfair on any of the sides which are screwed over in this way and it could potentially put clubs out of business.

2 minutes ago, GiGi said:

They didn't agree to promote two clubs at the start of the season so throws that suggestion out on your own criteria.

Promotion and relegation are not the same in this context and you know that fine well. The reasons for promoting 2 teams instead of 1 would be to ensure an even number of teams in each division and to avoid Austria world cup-like shenanigans on the last day of a footballing season. Otherwise I would be fine with only the top team in each division being promoted.

It is not fair to relegate teams based on an incomplete fixtures list when it is not that team's fault that the fixture list has not been fulfilled and it remains mathematically possible for them not to finish in a relegation spot. In an ideal world I would maintain the reverse is true of Promotion but I accept that ship has already sailed because of other pressures and there is something that just feels wrong about not rewarding teams that very obviously have excelled and (in Dundee United's case especially) had won in all but name the league title.

Efforts should be made to minimise the extent to which clubs are actively disadvantaged by a retrospective change in the rules. Promoting Dundee United and Raith Rovers (and Inverness and Falkirk) does not disadvantage the other teams that were in their division at least as much as relegating a team, because at least they remain in the same tier the following season. A prudently run club can preserve its existing infrastructure if it remains in the same division as before or a higher one. The same is not true of relegation, where as we know fine well it is literally the difference between wage budgets being cut by several orders of magnitude and, in the case of Championship to League One terms, the threshold between a mainly full-time professional sport and a mainly part-time one.

I would be saying exactly the same thing if Thistle were in 9th or 8th place, or 2nd or 1st or 5th. This is about principle.

6 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Pfft, yer arse, everyone would prefer null and void apart from those who stand in a good position to gain promotion or avoid relegation, the minority.

As a fan of probably the only Championship club with no realistic prospect of either making the promotion playoffs or being relegated, this is clearly nonsense. My preference would be finishing this season even if that means shortening the next one, and with that in mind I think they're making the decision to stop too early, but if finishing this season isn't possible then calling it as it stands is clearly a much better and fairer option than voiding it and pretending the season to date didn't happen.

It's those who prefer nulling and voiding who are motivated by their personal gain here, not those who prefer calling the season as it is; which is why Dundee and Partick fans are the most vocal.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

As a fan of probably the only Championship club with no realistic prospect of either making the promotion playoffs or being relegated, this is clearly nonsense. My preference would be finishing this season even if that means shortening the next one, and with that in mind I think they're making the decision to stop too early, but if finishing this season isn't possible then calling it as it stands is clearly a much better and fairer option than voiding it and pretending the season to date didn't happen.

It's those who prefer nulling and voiding who are motivated by their personal gain here, not those who prefer calling the season as it is; which is why Dundee and Partick fans are the most vocal.

I would be saying exactly the same thing if Thistle had no skin in the game.

14 minutes ago, Girth said:

I want whatever outcome upsets BigShedboy and weetoonlad the most please.

Thank you.

Change that target group to ‘greetin faced Funsters’ and I can get on board with that.

4 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Promotion and relegation are not the same in this context and you know that fine well. The reasons for promoting 2 teams instead of 1 would be to ensure an even number of teams in each division and to avoid Austria world cup-like shenanigans on the last day of a footballing season. Otherwise I would be fine with only the top team in each division being promoted.

It is not fair to relegate teams based on an incomplete fixtures list when it is not that team's fault that the fixture list has not been fulfilled and it remains mathematically possible for them not to finish in a relegation spot. In an ideal world I would maintain the reverse is true of Promotion but I accept that ship has already sailed because of other pressures and there is something that just feels wrong about not rewarding teams that very obviously have excelled and (in Dundee United's case especially) had won in all but name the league title.

Efforts should be made to minimise the extent to which clubs are actively disadvantaged by a retrospective change in the rules. Promoting Dundee United and Raith Rovers (and Inverness and Falkirk) does not disadvantage the other teams that were in their division at least as much as relegating a team, because at least they remain in the same tier the following season. A prudently run club can preserve its existing infrastructure if it remains in the same division as before or a higher one. The same is not true of relegation, where as we know fine well it is literally the difference between wage budgets being cut by several orders of magnitude and, in the case of Championship to League One terms, the threshold between a mainly full-time professional sport and a mainly part-time one.

I would be saying exactly the same thing if Thistle were in 9th or 8th place, or 2nd or 1st or 5th. This is about principle.

This is even more arbitrary and disruptive to far more clubs than the SPFL proposal. You'd be altering the structure of all 4 divisions which is absolutely no more fair across the board than calling the season now.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

What exactly was the McCall saga? I don't really remember anything controversial or underhand at the time. I'm not sure why Ayr fans have such a hatred for the man.

It was more the fact he had been tapped up weeks before he actually went, he was disingenuous about when he was approached and when he accepted and basically just the fact he joined an immediate rival in the middle of the season. He then signed our Captain on a PCA which was intentionally leaked to the press despite him previously criticising others (namely Robbie Neilson) for doing the exact same and also tried to publicly unsettle others.

He did well for us but the way his departure was handled was shocking to say the least.

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

This is even more arbitrary and disruptive to far more clubs than the SPFL proposal. You'd be altering the structure of all 4 divisions which is absolutely no more fair across the board than calling the season now.

It is not arbitrary. It is deliberate amelioration of the unfairness of prematurely calling the season.

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

It is not arbitrary. It is deliberate amelioration of the unfairness of prematurely calling the season.

Voiding the season entirely would be more fair than just deciding to dish out a load of promotions, fucking up the league structure top to bottom and not relegating anyone.

The 3 realistic options that clubs are most likely to go for in order are:

1. End the season now and award promotion and relegation based on points average
  2. Delay the end of the season until clubs agree all fixtures can be fulfilled
  3. Void the season and no one gets promoted or relegated. Not desirable with so much of the season already played but if clubs vote in majority for it then so be it.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It was more the fact he had been tapped up weeks before he actually went, he was disingenuous about when he was approached and when he accepted and basically just the fact he joined an immediate rival in the middle of the season. He then signed our Captain on a PCA which was intentionally leaked to the press despite him previously criticising others (namely Robbie Neilson) for doing the exact same and also tried to publicly unsettle others.

He did well for us but the way his departure was handled was shocking to say the least.

Is Bishop Briggs Ian McCall ?

Hiya Ian !!

9 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Voiding the season entirely would be more fair than just deciding to dish out a load of promotions, fucking up the league structure top to bottom and not relegating anyone.

The 3 realistic options that clubs are most likely to go for in order are:

1. End the season now and award promotion and relegation based on points average
  2. Delay the end of the season until clubs agree all fixtures can be fulfilled
  3. Void the season and no one gets promoted or relegated. Not desirable with so much of the season already played but if clubs vote in majority for it then so be it.

Voiding the season is impossible because UEFA have insisted teams are to be selected for its competition and because it would void the sponsorship contracts that allow the entire league system to function, to the detriment of the vast majority of clubs.

I agree with you it is the fairest outcome.

But if you are going to reward certain clubs based on an incomplete set of fixtures, that is unfair in its own right and therefore compensatory measures have to be made to ensure no significant sporting disadvantage is imposed on clubs because of a retrospective rule change.

League reconstruction accompanying the declaring of the league standings, so as to eliminate relegation for the incomplete season, is fairer because no club ends up in a lower division than they might have finished in. And with an expanded top flight, with the rules set out before a ball is kicked, there is ample opportunity for the beneficiary clubs (those promoted) to earn their right to stay there. Just as before, if a Premier League team wants to avoid relegation they know how they can do it: finish 10th or better.

37 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

my team will be ok 

That's not what I am hearing mate. My sources tell me that your club are alright up to 11:42 on Tuesday June 16th 2020 then the well has run dry. Need big investment. Worrying. 

Sent from Huawei Mate pro Mate. 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's Ayr United confirmed they'll back this proposal:

ETA: Click on the tweet as it's a thread of tweets.

Well, it's Cameron confirming he will be proposing a 'yes' vote to the board. The decision has not yet been made.

...but yes, pedantics aside, Ayr are most likely voting 'yes'.

Every proposed outcome is shite in response to an even shiter situation.

My preference would be to play the games behind closed doors asap and curtail next season, scrapping the league cup but it seems that isn't a goer.

I'm just in the wait and see group now. If united dont go up, f**k it, I'll be happy in 6 months if my wife and I are healthy enough so that she can get mildly annoyed at me coming in pished on a saturday night after an away day in Ayr.