Pies

5 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I quite like the Australian pie floater, basically a pie placed into a bowl of soup.

Pie_floater_recipe.jpg.391bc3736f863557b8d3997ecf89ff91.jpg

I would generally go for a mince or steak and gravy pie with lentil or pea and ham soup and possibly a dash of HP sauce.

Get out.

I used to think Scotland was the home of Pies, but I feel New Zealand blow us out the water. Just look at this steak and cheese effort:
nanas-pie-2.jpg?w=6870&key=2267a1b1b5b9fab597392bcca3c9e4b5cd99ff262129183e2fef9315d7518f0e
They put literally anything you want in a pie too.  Pies just seem to be more filling over there.

I grab a butter chicken pie every time I go to see the Auckland Blues play. Fantastic!

22 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I was going to nominate Lindsay’s Butchers in Perth as doing a cracking steak pie number, but it is merely a lid and not enclosed, so don’t want to enrage anybody.

Some pastry filling numbers that aren’t a pie that deserve a mention are Baynes onion bridies (Baynes is clearly the best bakery on the East Coast btw,) and black pudding sausage rolls from Asher’s in Inverness. 

As for the definitive pie ranking of the four staples of pies, it’s as below. 

Steak >>>>>>curry>>>mince>>macaroni

I agree with you in principle but what about chicken or vegetable? I'd have macaroni below them personally.

Just now, ali_91 said:

I forgot chicken and that can clearly be added to the staple list of pies (between curry and scotch,) but what the f**k is a vegetable pie? 

Pasty? Different category or part of the pastry family?

6 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I don’t care what pastry is around it, vegetables do not belong in the pie game. Mushroom at an absolute push, but we can’t be going about ruining pies with an attempt at nutrition. 

Come on. 

There was I time when I would have said the same.........Might just be withdrawal symptoms, they don't do pies or pastry here. They don't even smoke bacon FFS!

ETA - Where do you stand on samosa's? Delicious, pastry wrapped and full of vegetables!

Edited by sjc

5 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

I don’t care what pastry is around it, vegetables do not belong in the pie game. Mushroom at an absolute push, but we can’t be going about ruining pies with an attempt at nutrition. 

Come on. 

When I was about 12, my maw made a roasted vegetable lasagne (Delia Smith's recipe, very decent) and misread the ingredients, so ended up with loads of the veg left over.

She made a pie out of it, and it was magnificent, but even she accepted that it should not become a regular feature. 26 years on, we've still never had it again.

Forgot to mention the Mark's and Spencer's finest steak pies beautifully flavoured with smoked bacon lardons are heavenly.
Add the bonus of no one panic buying in mands and no old fogies out these days.
These are available and often reduced to clear. Ideal for the freezer.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

I will happily have onions with anything, and if someone chucked one in a pie I’m not going to grumble too much, but it’s not needed and is taking the space of meat. 

SteakForfar Bridie? They have onion through them do they not?

Yeah, that could be it... When I spent a year in China the lack of pies was a big issue. They would have shops advertised as ‘bakeries,’ that would sell sandwiches and packaged doughnuts. Disgraceful. 

You're not wrong there!

My mum decided to make homemade steak pie one New Year’s Day. Looked phenomenal, took a bite and she’d put carrots through it. Absolutely no place for that. 

Sounds like she got mixed up with making cottage pie!

1 minute ago, superbigal said:

Forgot to mention the Mark's and Spencer's finest steak pies beautifully flavoured with smoked bacon lardons are heavenly.
Add the bonus of no one panic buying in mands and no old fogies out these days.
These are available and often reduced to clear. Ideal for the freezer.

You can't beat a (local) butcher made steak pie imo. As good as that M&S pie sounds, processed pies can't compete with fresh made ones.

1 minute ago, dysartrovers said:

I but I prefer a soggy pie rather than crispy. Probably all those years at Starks park

After you take it out of the oven pour a cup of bovril over it.