Pies

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Little bakery in Dumfries, should be recognised as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.  Their Chicken, haggis, leek and peppercorn sauce pies taste like they were sent from the gods themselves.

Geez!!

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Little bakery in Dumfries, should be recognised as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.  Their Chicken, haggis, leek and peppercorn sauce pies taste like they were sent from the gods themselves.

This post will save lives and give people a reason to live through these tough times. Should be nailed to the front of P&B. 

25 minutes ago, Dele said:

McDiarmid. They're unreal. The biggest thing I miss about top flight football. 

When they're good, they're excellent. Sometimes have the black pudding : steak ratio all to f**k and they end up really dry. 

Ratio was good. Nice and juicy.

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I need some provenance on the filling.

Nothing worse then getting into a pie and finding the remnants of some unspecified meat in there.

That sounds like more of a personal matter for you and Mrs Mullarkey to work out. 

Fleming's of Arbroath are superb. Steak and gravy pies, Macaroni pies and Mince and Onion bridies. Mince and bean pies from Clarks are also too quality.

What's everyone's view on the oven v microwave debate? Obviously a large family sized steak pie from the butcher has to be done in the oven but I prefer small pies and bridies in the microwave until the pastry goes soggy. I was actually planning to do a thread with voting options for that just to see how quickly it descended into "OFTW" allegations but I may as well just start a discussion here.

11 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

What's everyone's view on the oven v microwave debate? Obviously a large family sized steak pie from the butcher has to be done in the oven but I prefer small pies and bridies in the microwave until the pastry goes soggy. I was actually planning to do a thread with voting options for that just to see how quickly it descended into "OFTW" allegations but I may as well just start a discussion here.

There is no debate.  A decent pie deserves due respect. And there is nothing more disrespectful than bunging it into the microwave. 

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Fleming's of Arbroath are superb. Steak and gravy pies.

Fleming's used to be brilliant. Full of steak and just the correct amount of gravy. Now there's hardly any steak and that that is there is full of gristle. 

They're a very poor relative of times gone by. 

You used to a pie from Anderson's in South Clerk Street walking home from the pub on a Saturday night but bloody Gregg's did for them. And Gregg's pies are shite.

I still miss the peppered pies Irvine's in West Richmond Street did when I was young. Even Crawford's pies were better than bloody Gregg's 

Anyway there are also sweet pies (steady Kenneth)- anybody for damn fine cherry pie?