West of Scotland Football, What Is The Future?

13 minutes ago, Dev said:

The UK cut back on the NHS in the  1990's and early 2000's e.g. Student Doctors suddenly found, in the middle of five year long training courses, that the NHS budgets were drastically cut back and the number of places for newly qualified Doctors was significantly cut back. Some remember that and the righteous protests made at the time. Too many of these young Doctors left upon qualification for the likes of Australia, Canada, the USA, etc. This added to the subsequent Doctor shortage which lead to the UK taking Doctors away from less wealthy nations - which really needed to keep them.

These weren't the only knock-on effects for the NHS. Others included a reduction in the numbers of laboratories capable of dealing wit medical testing. UK has paid a price for this now. You cannot test if you don't already have the resources in terms of laboratories and personnel, let alone stuff like enzymes, etc. To get anywhere near the present testing capacity and a trace/test scheme in such a short time is highly creditable - even though it cannot be at maximum efficiency immediately. It'd a  d...-side  better than what we had in January and it will be in position for further outbreaks of this disease and for any others which, in time, will head our way!

Another thing. This epidemic in the UK shows that the devolved nations don't have the scale to fight the disease or to come up with an understanding of what it is and how to deal with it. It's not their fault but it is a drastic downside to devolution. An epidemic like this needs to be fought on a UK basis. Instead the devolved nations go about trying to self-justify by "being different". Then things get so out of hand that they just follow England but pretend not to be doing so. This is one situation where they should have been honest from the start and acted as one i.e. UK-wide.

Yes, because the UK Government has made a phenominal success of things... Can we drop the politics and get back to the football

19 minutes ago, Dev said:

Another thing. This epidemic in the UK shows that the devolved nations don't have the scale to fight the disease or to come up with an understanding of what it is and how to deal with it. It's not their fault but it is a drastic downside to devolution. An epidemic like this needs to be fought on a UK basis. Instead the devolved nations go about trying to self-justify by "being different". Then things get so out of hand that they just follow England but pretend not to be doing so. This is one situation where they should have been honest from the start and acted as one i.e. UK-wide.

Yet it appears the UK Govt continues to be in chaos over this with high rates of daily infections, whilst the devolved Govts in Scotland and Northern Ireland have got a grip (within their limitations) and brought a semblance of control despite not having the ability to close borders and impose quarantines on new arrivals in March when it should have happened.

Anyway, fitba.

Edited by Burnieman

Guest Mr Happy

Listening to radio 2 ( Jeremy Vine) at the moment, he’s just said there’s over one thousand new cases reported daily of Covid-19.

Can’t see this going away anytime soon, I for one, will not be returning to watch football anytime soon, sorry but it’s health first for me.

You're blaming the Scottish Govt? Wow, that's some take on it.
I am pro indy and a former snp member, but that said even I can see they made a groaning grunt of the response to this, particularly at the start. That said westminster is by far the worst response, no border lock down, fucking shops open, VE day congas, get in the sea.

Politicians at all levels have messed this up, we could/should have responded like New Zealand and could have been out of this by now.

12 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

On hospitalisation for severe cases maybe but symptoms typically start to kick in after 5 days or so and for most people are relatively mild. 

I would imagine if there was going to have been an upsurge we would’ve seen it by know

We also have to bear  in mind that those most affected right now have been affected. But there will be others moving into the vulnerable zone as time goes on. As I know at least one person to have died from this before their time, I will not be taking on board any 'it's usually mild' stuff.

16 minutes ago, Derry said:

I would imagine if there was going to have been an upsurge we would’ve seen it by know

Scotland testing numbers are scandalous as well though. Best way to judge it is looking at number of people in hospital and deaths.

36 minutes ago, Derry said:

You can also look at other countries on that. Not much sign of second waves so far. The politicians were spooked into overly drastic responses by computer modelling predictions that now appear to have been flawed because they assumed a mortality rate that was at least an order of magnitude higher than reality. Good luck getting anyone in a position of authority to admit something like that.

8 hours ago, the rambler said:

To still not testing Care Home Staff and NHS workers as a priority

Untrue, tests are freely available.

Why couldn't they centralise the treatment of the disease at the newly created hospital and let all other hospitals function normally.

Because if you're properly sick you want to be treated in an actual hospital, with all the necessary supports services, not a field hospital in a conference centre.

The fallout from this concentration on Covid to the detriment of treating all other diseases leaving hospitals unutilised is sheer folly with further consequences still to come

This is a global issue. I don't disagree there is and will be a significant impact on other services. We would have been overwhelmed had we not prepared.

At the start of this pandemic it was all about protecting the NHS not overwhelming hospitals. Well they never were and have been underutilised for months, speak to people who work there. The lockdown measures have undoubtedly saved lives

You have huge cognitive dissonance here. Measures were brought in as we potentially would have been overwhelmed, the lockdown was a success and we weren't. We aren't underutilised, we're doing as much as we possibly can. Social distancing has massively reduced our bed capacity. Particular in theatres, the PPE requirements add significant time to cases and reduce the numbers of cases we can get through.

Not having the details,I'd guess that a large number of over 60's have been affected-or have sadly died. The tests seem to be unclear, results not guaranteed. We have to manage the disease and get back to some normality - one thought of the Premier Lge of people being tested,48hr before a game,then are given a 'green card', (£30 I think) so they may buy a ticket, etc etc. Is that really worth bothering with ?

Be interesting if/when the English government make some statements about grassroots sport returning - they only care about the so called 'elite' at the moment. What do the clubs feel, are they worried about testing or the whole return ? I don't get to hear, read much from the clubs themselves. Hopefully the WOSFL will get going asap, and we can all agree the move to Senior was the right decision.

Well sturgeon’s phase 2 announcement was well worth the wait, not.
So it means no even training yet for adult teams and kids teams.
Teams won’t be able to play but they’ll train like some have been doing for the last few weeks More will follow now nothing surer
I still can’t understand why the Irish have let their grassroots football train in groups of six and we are still not allowed to do anything