League Reconstruction 20/21 season

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

It is absolutely absurd to play four full rounds of games extra among bottom feeders rather than telling an 7th/8th placed midtable jobber outfit to sit out one weekend in May and start their holidays early.

Out of interest has any other league ever done this? Have a rest week for a team I mean. 

Edited by Bohemian

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

The last time that the Scottish national league season wasn't completed - with no less than 66 old points left to play for - several top flight clubs were summarily papped into a lower tier upon its restart despite not even being in a relegation spot. Count yourselves lucky then if the SPFL doesn't punt your club and its nauseating owner into the Lowland League m8.

Reveal hidden contents

With true establishment clubs like Morton being elevated in their place.

Oh it makes me feel like singing the blues - Page 11 - Scottish ...

Okay so the league has fucked clubs in the past so what's the harm in fucking clubs just now?

Your logic is infantile m8

When was the last time a team was relegated with 24 points to play for?
 It's never happened before.
That is why it is unfair.  

There are a million things unfair at the moment - like dying because someone sneezed near you. But no let's reorganise Scottish football for one season (Budge's option) because Herts are facing deserved relegation.

3 hours ago, ftk said:

By George I've got it!

Top league of 16 play each other twice.

Top 4 play again twice for title.

Bottom 4 play again twice for relegation.

Middle split into 2 leagues of 4 for a
European spot.

36 games. 4 sacred old firm games. (probably)

Everybody's a winner emoji4.png

Scotland doesn’t have enough European spots at present to allocate one to that middle group.  Might change with the Conference League being added but th e more European football there is the less places Scotland seems to get.

1 minute ago, Mr. X said:

Okay so the league has fucked clubs in the past so what's the harm in fucking clubs just now?

Your logic is infantile m8

The only thing infantile around here is your claim that a team had never been relegated with points to play for and as a result this outcome would be inherently unfair on Hearts. It has happened before - the very last time that such a crisis occurred in Scottish football - and so your argument is null and void.

Thanks for playing anyway.

4B61F62E-7626-4D2E-BE62-3A31CBEC845E.jpeg.fd790b659afe480e96a340c33160a944.jpeg

5 hours ago, ali_91 said:

The assertion that something “works” because another country does it means that a 12 team league “works” because we do it.

That's the argument the other poster was making. It is done elsewhere so it does work. How well it works compared to our system is open to debate. I wouldn't personally argue that 14 teams will revolutionise the game here but I'd prefer it to what we have. 

Just now, virginton said:

The only thing infantile around here is your claim that a team had never been relegated with points to play for and as a result this outcome would be inherently unfair on Hearts. It has happened before - the very last time that such a crisis occurred in Scottish football - and so your argument is null and void.

Thanks for playing anyway.

4B61F62E-7626-4D2E-BE62-3A31CBEC845E.jpeg.fd790b659afe480e96a340c33160a944.jpeg

Don't run away quite so quickly, that would make you look like a wuss.. 

Answer this question. If  a system is unfair should we improve that system? 

13 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

Out of interest has any other league ever done this? Have a rest week for a team I mean. 

Aye, the Highland League’s done it this season after Cove Rangers got promoted and weren’t replaced by any other team . 17 teams in the HL now. 

Does any other top flight league have the inherent imbalance between home and away fixtures that our top flight has ?

Edited by A96

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Did you not click on the spoiler

The “logic” is intentionally silly so as to set up a killer punchline

It must be his wacky Greenock humour.  Chic Murray was over rated as well.

12 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

Don't run away quite so quickly, that would make you look like a wuss.. 

Answer this question. If  a system is unfair should we improve that system? 

'Unfair' is a subjective value judgment that I don't actually give a toss about; least of all in the case of bottom of the league dogshite teams who just don't want to be relegated. A precedent has been set in Scottish football though so it seems only right to follow this and punt Hearts as well as anyone else that the rest of the SPFL clubs don't really like down a division or four.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

By unwritten convention, I think you have to have conceded 7 (seven) goals before the number is written out inside brackets.

Perhaps relegations invoke a different convention.

Always worth repeating stuff for Hearts. In1986, they only needed to draw (draw!).

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Always worth repeating stuff for Hearts. In1986, they only needed to draw (draw!).

That wasn't Hearts fault though. That was a 3-way conspiracy involving St Mirren, Celtic and Dundee.

Don't forget, it's never Hearts fault. Always a conspiracy.

They shouldn't be relegated this season. Or ever.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Or.. you know... not get absolutely humbled by us earlier in the season:

OHk7pqB.png

in my opinion the biggest problem in Scottish football by far , is the domination of the Arse-Cheeks.

They already have a massive financial advantage which has enabled them to dominate and which in turn leads to the financial gulf widening even more.

I doubt if any of the realistic suggestions for restructuring that I’ve seen , and which are mainly increasing the number of teams in the top flight will make any difference to their domination. Something far more radical is required. A handicapping system.

Before the season the SPFL could ask several different national bookmakers to compile their list of how many points each team would start on , for them each to be given Evens to win the handicap league. The SPFL could then work out the average handicap for each team based on the bookies figures.

So for instance , Celtic could be made to start on minus 40 , Rangers minus 30 Aberdeen minus 25  Hibs , Motherwell , Kilmarnock and St Johnstone minus 20  etc.

Would probably make for an exciting end to the season , ideally with teams on the final day having a chance of both winning the league or being relegated. 

Just now, A96 said:

in my opinion the biggest problem in Scottish football by far , is the domination of the Arse-Cheeks.

While you are absolutely correct, your chairman certainly helped maintain their hegemony.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

While you are absolutely correct, your chairman certainly helped maintain their hegemony.

Ex-chairman. And perhaps you could remind me exactly what it was he voted for or against. Whatever it was , I very much doubt that him voting the other way would have made much , if any , difference to their hegemony.