VE Day celebrations.

2 minutes ago, jagfox731 said:

I like gammon in a bloomer...

That'll be you getting Katie Hopkins' underwear calendar for Christmas, then.

5 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Imagine finding out your home town was the first choice for obliteration by nuclear heat death, only to have been saved because the weather was a bit shite. Chilling.

Unless you come from <ScottishProvincialTown>, in which case you'd have considered it a civil redevelopment scheme, amirite? Lols.

Tbh the weather was a bit shite scenario would probably have saved quite a few Scottish provincial towns....

11 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Imagine finding out your home town was the first choice for obliteration by nuclear heat death, only to have been saved because the weather was a bit shite. Chilling.

Unless you come from <ScottishProvincialTown>, in which case you'd have considered it a civil redevelopment scheme, amirite? Lols.

Imagine being Tsutomu Yamaguchi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

1 minute ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Imagine being Tsutomu Yamaguchi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

Didn't recognise the name, but I instantly knew that would be the lad who survived both atomic blasts  :lol:

I'd say he'd have dined out on that story, but there's no chance anyone would have believed him.

6 minutes ago, jagfox731 said:

I’ve booked you in for 2pm Monday at the Star Inn...

Well, if we're going to be testing the effects of venereal disease...

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Well, if we're going to be testing the effects of venereal disease...

I was thinking amputation and subsequent blood flow. We don’t want to be be breaking any regulations now....

On 07/05/2020 at 17:13, Detournement said:

The USSR signed the non aggression pact with Germany to try and prevent a war which would kill 27 million of their citizens and devastate the entire country. That seems reasonable.

The UK and France signed a similar pact with Germany in 1938 that simply reflected reality on the ground. The small part of Poland that the USSR occupied is now part of Ukraine and the 1920s borders had only been set by the results of that war.

The idea that Stalin who demanded anti fascist Popular Fronts in all countries in the 1930s, supplied Republican Spain and MOST IMPORTANTLY offered an alliance to the UK and France (which was rejected as the capitalist countries were hoping that the USSR would go the same way as Republican Spain ie crushed by fascists) was enabling the Nazis is crazy. 

If you want to look for something external to blame for Nazism look at the democracies that refused to support Spain and especially the American capitalists who were in business with Nazi Germany. This is an enlightening article about Grandpa Prescott Bush of the Bush crime running a bank which finananced Nazi industry. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/sep/25/usa.secondworldwar

You're right, other people are also bad. If we want to discuss every factor in the rise of the Nazis, how important was the inventor of the radio? No matter what rhetoric he used, Stalin and the comintern instructed the German communists to prioritize crushing the SDP. You could think this was in order to make more likely wars between the "Imperial" nation's, hastening revolution; or another masterstroke from the man whose favourite biologist believed you should plant millions of seeds per acre as competition within species was a myth. That's up to you. I've a feeling the answer will be more false equivalencies and stories with convenient details missing though

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan
Spelling

Was there a celebration like this for the 50th anniversary?

It also seems a bit strange for the chancellor to suggest people are "addicted" to govt paying their wages and saying we cant afford it to then fly a whole load of aircraft over cities in an entirely pointless exercise.

13 minutes ago, 101 said:

Was there a celebration like this for the 50th anniversary?

It was definitely a public holiday.  In fact with the lack of lockdown celebrations were more extensive. 

I recall going to the Hunting Lodge in Killie because the landlord had promised to sell beer at 1945 prices if you brought old money with you. Needless to say this had only applied to about 3 pints sold around 6 hours earlier. 

Edited by Lurkst

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I would have thought you might be quite pleased.

6 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

IMG_0550.jpgMeanwhile in Yorkshire.

I don’t believe in an afterlife or heaven.

But if there is a heaven the fighter pilots in question will be looking down and saying in one voice “that guy’s a cúnt”.

When I was out running yesterday along the Clyde, as I was passing the flats at Lancefield quay next to the exhibition centre, I witnessed the most peculiar sight. One of the ground floor flats which was decked out in bunting, had a family out on their little balcony waving union flags. The smallest of the children must have been about 5 or 6 years old, dressed in a full replica 2nd world war army uniform, medals the lot standing at attention. Strange times we live in.