The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

We’re in a dreadful state as well and I do fancy you to beat us on Wednesday and go above us but what’s the keeper doing Tom? 

I would suggest all three teams are favourites to go down.

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I keep looking at all the perms then realising they do require us not to lose a game at some point 

I genuinely don't understand how we can still be in that position.

How shite must everyone else be that we can still stay up?

I'm now at the point where I'm resigned to relegation, either direct or by playoffs, and I'm trying to comfort myself with the knowledge that the squad is in such bad shape, it might actually be better for us to go down, use certain players who might be good enough to be effective in the Championship while their contracts run down and then come back stronger.

I don't want us to go down of course, but with limited funding and the majority of that squad still contracted to next season, it might mean there are some more enjoyable matches...

1 minute ago, SGMilne said:

I'm now at the point where I'm resigned to relegation, either direct or by playoffs, and I'm trying to comfort myself with the knowledge that the squad is in such bad shape, it might actually be better for us to go down, use certain players who might be good enough to be effective in the Championship while their contracts run down and then come back stronger.

I don't want us to go down of course, but with limited funding and the majority of that squad still contracted to next season, it might mean there are some more enjoyable matches...

The other side of this is that we need to come straight back up.

We can't afford to be down as long as we were last time.

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The other side of this is that we need to come straight back up.

We can't afford to be down as long as we were last time.

That's true. Can't assume we'd just come straight back up, even though the league would in theory be a lot weaker than the ones we previously played in.

You're still looking at a squad including...

McMann, Graham, Behic, Freeman, Niskanen, Sibbald, Djoum, Chalmers, Meekison, Mochrie, Anaku, Middleton, Fletcher (who may retire), both goalkeepers (you have to assume they'll be paid off though), Levitt, Fotheringham, Thomson, Cudjoe. I think that's it but I might be missing someone.

If i was asked how many of them I'd want in my starting XI in the Premiership next season, I'd say Levitt

It doesn't make for good reading.

Edited by SGMilne

2 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

That's true. Can't assume we'd just come straight back up, even though the league would in theory be a lot weaker than the ones we previously played in.

You're still looking at a squad including...

McMann, Graham, Behic, Freeman, Niskanen, Sibbald, Djoum, Chalmers, Meekison, Mochrie, Anaku, Middleton, Fletcher (who may retire), both goalkeepers (you have to assume they'll be paid off though), Levitt, Fotheringham, Thomson, Cudjoe. I think that's it but I might be missing someone.

If i was asked how many of them I'd want in my starting XI next season, I'd say Levitt.

It doesn't make for good reading.

From your list, Behich would be in my team, but I reckon he'll be away

12 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

62ab86f90a6d80f042f2d5bb_62aa81f5fbe45f84cfaa996b_DMWlOaWPgez4xEF3EFn2VPmnuU_4AivqkY64Kl-vfSTydKSDELioEwa8jAAe1WkQL4oRkpAj-y3-skYmstQ4zBpCPgi8UwNDYkmvV9Th55LYh4cr2tz4JfTb.png

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Anyone worth anything will be away for whatever we can get. I'm assuming we'll have to pay someone to take the keeper so i'd happily start a gofundme to help.

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Anyone worth anything will be away for whatever we can get. I'm assuming we'll have to pay someone to take the keeper so i'd happily start a gofundme to help.

If someone offers a chocolate teapot, we should be biting their hand off

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If you lads don't want him then we'll take Mochrie back.

How has he been this season for you? And what position has he played? Always saw him as a number 10 but he got punted out to left wing for us a fair bit.

12 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I suspect he'll be away too. As an individual he's not a bad player but he's been so wrong for the team. He's not a left back even though he was signed as one, and although he has tenacity, he's not really a winger/midfielder either.

26 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I genuinely don't understand how we can still be in that position.

How shite must everyone else be that we can still stay up?

It does seem incredible that we can still theoretically stay up. We got very lucky with results elsewhere today.

1 minute ago, SGMilne said:

How has he been this season for you? And what position has he played? Always saw him as a number 10 but he got punted out to left wing for us a fair bit.

He's been good. He's been used best when behind the striker(s). He's quality at running with the ball and is good at driving forward. Has a decent shot on him too and scored a couple. Fell out of the team a bit in the second half of the season but when he never started he was always good to bring on. Only issue is he isn't the best defensively, although I'm of the opinion that not everyone needs to be.

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

It does seem incredible that we can still theoretically stay up. We got very lucky with results elsewhere today.

If we beat Killie on Wednesday, we go above them on GD, and they have to play County on the last day.

If we lose, and County don't win against St Johnstone, we need to beat Motherwell, while County and Killie could play out an Austria-West Germany scenario to guarantee County the play-off

I forgot we've also got Declan Glass - who'll be 23 next season - signed up to another year with the club in spite of him not being good enough to get a game in the Irish league or at Cove Rangers.

And Tony Watt...

18 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Put the c**t in a woodchipper and then feed the remains to some pigs. Some justice at last.