The Dundee United Thread 22/23

39 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Yes, you’re keeper and defence haven’t helped but in their defence their confidence will not have been helped by the fact any mistake they make will not be covered up by a good performance by the attacking players.  Could you imagine being a keeper / defender in a team already short on goals and seeing your club sell Clark and Watt without bringing anyone in to replace them?  I know both of them weren’t exactly great but at least it left you with some options. 

In defence of your club (can’t believe I just said that) most clubs have a season like you’ve had where the team just doesn’t get going for whatever reason/s.  That is when you have to rely on your captain and senior players to galvanise the team and just somehow get through the season.  From what I’ve seen that just hasn’t happened.

A prime sample being Mulgrew’s back pass to your keeper.  Mulgrew took two touches before passing it awkwardly back to the keeper.  Have a look at his reaction when the goals goes in.  Not the reaction I would be looking for from one of the most senior players  in the team.

Agree with all of this. Unfortunately our captain apparently forgot how to play football sometime last summer. The recruitment/squad depth issues are unforgiveable given our precarious position in January.

There’s also the issue that a number of players have just shat it. Not up for the fight and unable to deal with the situation that hey have created for themselves. Poor leadership on the field and no one wanting to take responsibility.  A worse squad than the one that got us relegated last time?

Me on the match thread for _that_ fourth game of the season. How thick were our first two managers to persist with him and leave us in this mess.

On 11/08/2022 at 20:38, Alan_G said:

Four games in a row this keeper has looked rotten

It's common practice to say that a keeper gained his team so many points that he had a huge part to play in a team winning a league. I can't remember, in my decades of watching football, of a goalkeeper singlehandedly relegating a team. If United do go down that's what's happened this season. 

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It's common practice to say that a keeper gained his team so many points that he had a huge part to play in a team winning a league. I can't remember, in my decades of watching football, of a goalkeeper singlehandedly relegating a team. If United do go down that's what's happened this season. 

Unless there were absolutely ZERO funds available in the window, its incredible that Utd decided, in the position they were in, to just stick with this guy for the 2nd half of the season. You could stick a goalie top on Stephen Hawking, and by the law of averages and the ball occasionally rebounding off him he'd probably still have a better success rate and stats than Birighitti. Crazy decision that they look like paying the ultimate price for.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

To be fair, while he's had a lot of howlers, in a lot of those games United were so poor they'd have lost anyway, so he's probably only cost them 3 or 4 points. They're lack of competent central defenders and having only one first team striker who is in his mid 30s is probably just as much of a reason they are where they are.

Edited by Hendo

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Speroni was an okay keeper, around the Seigrist level I'd say, quite why he's lauded by Dees is beyond me. Is it because he got them to a cup final and a top 6 place? If so that's pretty laughable.

Have you not just described Dundee’s best season in 60 years or something? 

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

As bad as he is he isn't the reason we more than likely will be relegated. If that was the case that would mean the rest of the squad were competent.

The defence has been shocking, incapable of stopping crosses, Can't, cope with high balls completely oblivious to runners, can't tackle &  no idea what to do in posession other than slow the play down and launch it, I'll exempt Loick Ayina as he has generally looked decent.

The midfield are almost non existent. Too often they are hiding again can't tackle nor open a defence. Our most competent midfielder is a player released from Livingston and was set to sign for League 1 Dunfermline.

You could go on. It is unbelievable that we have more international caps in the squad than I can remember, but no heart. Players would rather stop and pass backwards in a must win game than take on a left or right back. We have the worst conversion rate from corners in the league. So many players are too casual, think they are better than they show. It's an absolute shitshow from top to bottom. Too much tail wagging the dog poor unbalanced recruitment, poor tactics, poor recruitment meaning certain players start irrespective of performance, and a bunch of professionals who have proved unmaginable to 3 different managers this season, who can't do the basics and seem completely lacking in game intelligence.

Birighitti is beyond calamity, but not the sole reason..

Edited by Tannadeechee
typos

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Joel Pereira in 2019/20 , a goalkeeper who literally dived out of the way of shots, played a huge role in Hearts eventual relegation that season .

13 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Have you not just described Dundee’s best season in 60 years or something? 

Aye as I read it back I thought that, although I'm not sure the top 6 and the cup final were in the same season. Some highlight reel for the last 50 years the poor c***s. A cup final loss, a humping in Europe, a testimonial and a friendly.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Aye as I read it back I thought that, although I'm not sure the top 6 and the cup final were in the same season. Some highlight reel for the last 50 years the poor c***s. A cup final loss, a humping in Europe, a testimonial and a friendly.

Youre forgetting the greatest of them all, the Deefiant season of finishing 6th in the First Division.

Made DVDs of that season.

2 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Unless there were absolutely ZERO funds available in the window, its incredible that Utd decided, in the position they were in, to just stick with this guy for the 2nd half of the season. You could stick a goalie top on Stephen Hawking, and by the law of averages and the ball occasionally rebounding off him he'd probably still have a better success rate and stats than Birighitti. Crazy decision that they look like paying the ultimate price for.

Not only did we not bring in a keeper, we sent one out on loan. Eriksson was a bit of a bomb scare also (did save a penalty against your lot earlier in the season to get us a undeserved point) but I doubt he would have flogged as many as Birighitti. Whilst we have had our share of shit goalies over the years, I am struggling to think of one who has cost us so many goals. 

Edit to add, we also had Trevor Carson on the books at the start of the season. Keep him as number 1 and we are definitely not in the position we find ourselves in. 

Edited by skinny arab

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youre forgetting the greatest of them all, the Deefiant season of finishing 6th in the First Division.

Made DVDs of that season.

Just like the DVD of that time St Johnstone won the top tier...