The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 27/08/2020 at 06:56, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I'm hearing Sevco are pushing for the match against United at Ibrox on 12 September to be used as a 'test event' for fans returning to football stadiums.

20200827_065438.thumb.jpg.bdcf883a2623a911573bab70cc81d221.jpg

Not sure if that's a Japanese flag or a Remembrance Day Poppy, but getting your battle fever on seems inappropriate either way.

On 13/08/2020 at 17:27, ArabFC said:

Connolly given an extended contract.

sack the board, sack the manager, sack fcuking everyone!

I’m sure there’ll be plenty happy with this, but clearly you’re all fcuking morons. 

Jesus wept!

I’m away for a lie down.

😤

It shouldn’t be a shock to anyone that coming up from the Championship to the Premiership means needing to bring in a few more players.  Connolly is not good enough at this level, Mellon and the board need to acknowledge this.  Neilson May be a star in the making but he was poor defensively today.  Our formation at away games has worked up to today but Clark then Appere where left isolated far too often during the game.

I don’t see us getting anything from next week’s game but even then it’s not a bad start to our first season back.  We need to strengthen in a couple of areas and the manager must be willing to make more use of the subbies.

13 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It shouldn’t be a shock to anyone that coming up from the Championship to the Premiership means needing to bring in a few more players.  Connolly is not good enough at this level, Mellon and the board need to acknowledge this.  Neilson May be a star in the making but he was poor defensively today.  Our formation at away games has worked up to today but Clark then Appere where left isolated far too often during the game.

I don’t see us getting anything from next week’s game but even then it’s not a bad start to our first season back.  We need to strengthen in a couple of areas and the manager must be willing to make more use of the subbies.

The subs is a strange one. He's never made full use of the five subs your now allowed in any game. And to only use two yesterday seemed just plain daft. And for Glass to not have featured for a single minute is a real puzzler

I think you're in a similar position to us.

New manager + extended transfer window = players at the club getting a chance to prove themselves before major signings are made.

Sounds like we've maybe decided that this International break was the "deadline" for players to make an impact and now signings will be made. Might be the same for you lot.

I hope there is a bit of that to our plan for this season and beyond. I don’t mind Mellon and the club giving the current group some games prove themselves, they deserve that opportunity given last season and the change of manager. Some have shown improvement and a few look like they can be of use in this league but we are desperately needing some real difference makers in this team.

Yesterday was a performance that may have yielded a more positive result if we had a quality wide player, a genuine playmaker and/or a proper finisher on the field. We just seem quite naive on the ball at times and there are not really any players we can rely on for giving us a cutting edge. Having a chunk of the ball and generally getting into reasonable areas is something we have shown in these past few weeks and the players are definitely working their socks off, but we absolutely need reinforcements.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think you're in a similar position to us.

New manager + extended transfer window = players at the club getting a chance to prove themselves before major signings are made.

Sounds like we've maybe decided that this International break was the "deadline" for players to make an impact and now signings will be made. Might be the same for you lot.

I think there's an element of truth to that. What yesterday did show is that if our players let the standards drop, even slightly, then we are really not a good team at this level. The manager has done almost everything right up to yesterday, so time will tell, but what is important is how the players and the manager react to this. If anyone was under any illusions about how difficult this season will be, they shouldn't be now.

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

The subs is a strange one. He's never made full use of the five subs your now allowed in any game. And to only use two yesterday seemed just plain daft. And for Glass to not have featured for a single minute is a real puzzler

It really is.

Especially given Micky’s consistent comments about the talented youth pool he’s got and the opportunities he’s given some kids.

How is Chalmers getting so much game time and Glass not a minute? 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It really is.

Especially given Micky’s consistent comments about the talented youth pool he’s got and the opportunities he’s given some kids.

I hope I'm wrong but  think Chalmers' inclusion might be partly down to free kicks and corners. I don't like criticising the younger players, but I've seen very little from him to explain any other reason for it.

By and large I think I'd be right in saying that every corner and free kick this season has been taken by  either Pawlett or Chamlers.

7 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

It really is.

Maybe Glass is poor in training. Glass and Chalmers play in different positions also

Very strong chance that Finnish laddy will be joining in the next couple of weeks I've heard. 

Not so sure Pav is gonna join now, as confirmed by Scott Burns that's a big bridge to cross in terms of wages and possible fee to his current club. 

Really hope the club cool off on Norwood and get a less crocked younger player in 😂

48 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Very strong chance that Finnish laddy will be joining in the next couple of weeks I've heard. 

Not so sure Pav is gonna join now, as confirmed by Scott Burns that's a big bridge to cross in terms of wages and possible fee to his current club. 

Really hope the club cool off on Norwood and get a less crocked younger player in 😂

Norwood played for a half a game yesterday, his first outing since February. From reports he was Ipswich's biggest threat, but also quite vocally fiery. I'm doubting he'll be coming to Tannadice, and agree that a loan of a match fit player would be more sensible.

On 27/08/2020 at 11:39, ArabFC said:

Don't agree, but won't bother arguing. Just worth noting that he's snapped an achillies for the third time by the age of 23.

He could've developed into a player, but he's probably fcuked.

Lee Wilkie syndrome? 

As people have said, hope Mellons been using the first few weeks to give everyone a chance and see exactly what we need.

I would be happy if we brought in another centre half (although I dont think he will prioritise it given Edwards signed), a central midfielder and another striker. The last is a priority, especially if Shankland goes.

Hopefully hes also learnt that Clark can not play up front on his own. Have no issue with him up top and Appere off him but doesn't look like Mellon is too much of a fan of 2 banks of 4 behind them.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Is this the left winger guy? I fucking hope he's able to cross the ball and take a corner!

Yesterday shows that our squad isn't good enough really. We were punished for making mistakes and not being as ruthless as we need to be at this level. Shankland may well help but if we don't get the ball to him then having Messi wouldn't make a difference up there. If this Finnish bloke is any good then great but we still really need to have someone in the middle of the park bringing the likes of him and Bolton into play.

Im assuming Mellon is still getting to know our squads weaknesses and hope this is just him trying everybody out to see who needs replaced. Im also hoping thats why Glass and Mochrie aren't playing - he knows they're prospects and will be here long term so working out the rest of the "not good enoughs" to shunt them on. 

We'll see I suppose