The Dundee United Thread 22/23

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Fuchs has a daft button in his head where he thinks he can wrestle through groups of opposition players rather than lay off the simple ball at times.

Top 6 is a definite goal this season, TA thought we should have been top 6 last season given the resources spent. 

It's a short career, and Scotland's best league isn't really up to much, but as you indicate, cash is king.

I was one of the few content to see Courts being given a chance, now I'm doubting that judgement following certain decisions and selections recently, notwithstanding the limits that have been placed on Tam due to injuries and Covid restrictions. As examples, the extremely late use of substitutes in the Livingston match, the odd tactics against Motherwell throughout, some players (Clark) being untouchable while others (Niskanen, Glass) getting far less minutes.

It was a very brave (absolutely mental) decision that would either be a masterstroke or disaster.

Courts had a very good start and is now on a very very poor run. Even I think he should be given time to get out of it but how much time does he get? Obviously he'll get the season as Asghar will not punt the experiment but if we continue to slide further down the table...?

St Mirren, Ross County, Dundee and St Johnstone make up 4 of the next 5 league games. I think its not just reasonable but essential we pick up at least 8 points from that run. One of them being a 4-0 win over the Fun please. 

Tam is a stats guy. Here are some scary stats for him.

20211228_053314.thumb.jpg.9575d3a00415df8d4853d8187f2aa11a.jpg

20211228_053523.thumb.jpg.e4c42854f9d0ed6bc0beae56f69cd251.jpg

Clark and Harkes have played more than anyone other attacking player and they've contributed less than ten goals in 49 games between them. With Pawlett its 71 games and we're at the lofty height of a dozen goals. And only created 4 goals between them.

Our 3rd top goal scorer only played 5 games and isn't at the club now. Only 2 players have surpassed that in about 20 games more.

On 26/12/2021 at 16:58, ArabFC said:

I'd be interested to hear of who others think we should sign instead of Watt? Let's stick with the provisos that they have to be Scottish in this instance, a forward (obviously) and available for little to nothing.

It has taken a couple of days, but I've thought of one I'd prefer - Jamie Gullan at Hibs.  Has never been given a proper run in the first team but has looked handy during his loan spells at Raith.

22 hours ago, hk blues said:

I hope for your sakes somebody does then.

Of course, I don't really.

I was one of the few that thought Mellon did a pretty good job with what he had, and was therefore a bit disappointed that we parted ways and even more disappointed when we went with Courts as his replacement - but during this last few months he has really grown on me.  I don't think this recent run of dreadful form is down to him - it is just a combination of injuries, COVID, bad luck etc. and there aren't many of his selections that I could really argue with.

I actually see quite a few similarities with McPake and your mob - on a terrible run of form, yes, but largely the manager is doing a decent job with what he has at his disposal.

17 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Few rumours of Fuchs being on the move next week. Clubs noted are Celtic, Hibs and Wigan. 

A la the great Jimmy Gomis, he'll get a decent move - and be back in the bottom six of the SPL (preferably Tannadice) in a couple of years' time.  He is excellent when we are hemmed in and defending for our lives, but his form has been dreadful for the last few weeks and his distribution going forward has been awful - I very much doubt he'll get as good a move as Celtic. 

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

A top six finish is still possible but a bottom six, whilst avoiding getting dragged into a relegation dogfight, would be acceptable.

We were only promoted last summer, so objectively you'd think that a "comfortable" bottom six finish (i.e. not battling it out to avoid the bottom two places) would be a good step up - but with the finances as they are, really a top six finish is the only acceptable outcome.  

7 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Anything less would be a failure, especially considering the changing of manager, the crowing about how brilliant the young lads are and the investment in the squad for this season.

I'd agree with this.

7 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

...spunking big money on a very risky Tony Watt may backfire tremendously.

And this.

9 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Long way to go but Tam and Tony need to get the finger out, pronto.

And this!

19 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

I actually see quite a few similarities with McPake and your mob - on a terrible run of form, yes, but largely the manager is doing a decent job with what he has at his disposal.

I don't think that would be the consensus from most Dees 

9 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Yip. Ive not watched every second of every game this season but what I have seen recently is as bad as Mellons Murderball but with even less creativity and no Shankland to bail us out.

No it’s not, it’s not even close.  Some folk have got very skewed memories.

9 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

For every Livi game you'll get a Hibs game where United used all three subs and then went down to ten men with no Centre Backs for the final 15 minutes.

It's an opinion, but the Livingston match, when 1-0 down, the manager taking until the final 4 minutes to make two substitutions was baffling. The Hibs game was quite different, there were 20 minutes left when the final substitute came on, the bench must have assessed Mulgrew was ok to end the match at that point. I don't think it balances out that a team which uses three substitutes often then loses a player: it was a freak occurrence. 

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:
No it’s not, it’s not even close.  Some folk have got very skewed memories.

Agreed. It's nowhere near last season, and I defended Mellonball more than most.

But its a points business .... Mellon job was to keep you up and you got a cup run.. .

So far Courts has United going backwards but he said he will have you top 6?

What would be acceptable or the very least you would accept this season? 

Just now, Robin.Hood said:

But its a points business .... Mellon job was to keep you up and you got a cup run.. .

What would be acceptable or the very least you would accept this season? 

Dees staying off our threads.

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Dees staying off our threads.

I've noticed a considerable drop in your presence on Dundee threads, amigo.

The fact it coincides with United going on a terrible run in itself is just purely coincidental, I guess. 

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Holy shit.

2020-21, 20 games in:

image.png.9be1bb30ad9da657ceef9cfba8abebbd.png

2021-22, 20 games in:

image.png.d4fe168f160c7ba4f0953d7df8ebf926.png

40 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Not according to the statistics above. 

22 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I've noticed a considerable drop in your presence on Dundee threads, amigo.

The fact it coincides with United going on a terrible run in itself is just purely coincidental, I guess. 

It's just the way it works: you guys are back on these threads illustrating this very point.

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

It has taken a couple of days, but I've thought of one I'd prefer - Jamie Gullan at Hibs.  Has never been given a proper run in the first team but has looked handy during his loan spells at Raith.

Well fair enough, but given I've never even heard of him, I'll stick with Tony Watt - the guy who has proven he can score goals at this level.

6 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

It was a very brave (absolutely mental) decision that would either be a masterstroke or disaster.

Courts had a very good start and is now on a very very poor run. Even I think he should be given time to get out of it but how much time does he get? Obviously he'll get the season as Asghar will not punt the experiment but if we continue to slide further down the table...?

I won't judge Courts any more on his last few games than I would his initial good form. Overall, he is doing a middling job - not good, not shit. We'll see where we're at come the season's end.

That said, I have judged Courts in another aspect - any time he appears on the telly, I have to turn it off before the cringe eats me alive - never heard a manager talk so much shite!

Folk talk about the manner in which we play, but I can't identify it yet - all appears very random and game to game to me.

6 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

St Mirren, Ross County, Dundee and St Johnstone make up 4 of the next 5 league games. I think its not just reasonable but essential we pick up at least 8 points from that run. One of them being a 4-0 win over the Fun please. 

Tam is a stats guy. Here are some scary stats for him.

20211228_053314.thumb.jpg.9575d3a00415df8d4853d8187f2aa11a.jpg

20211228_053523.thumb.jpg.e4c42854f9d0ed6bc0beae56f69cd251.jpg

Clark and Harkes have played more than anyone other attacking player and they've contributed less than ten goals in 49 games between them. With Pawlett its 71 games and we're at the lofty height of a dozen goals. And only created 4 goals between them.

Our 3rd top goal scorer only played 5 games and isn't at the club now. Only 2 players have surpassed that in about 20 games more.

If only you guys had a player who could get assists....

1366596840_Screenshot_20211228-122906_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.01b4c47d10652589fc244a751205c918.jpg

Does nae bad for a boy that can't cross.

3 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

That said, I have judged Courts in another aspect - any time he appears on the telly, I have to turn it off before the cringe eats me alive - never heard a manager talk so much shite!

I don't listen very much to him, or any other managers, but from the little I've heard, Courts just talks shite in a different style. There are many managers through the years who have talked much more shite, and in a more annoying manner. John Hughes for one. Jim Leishman is another.

4 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

You're just proving the point about Dundee posters, really. Where or when did Courts say he'd have us top six?

Correct I was wrong. Asghar did.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/thomas-dundee-united-tangerines-scottish-premiership-google-b1862644.html%3famp

Into year 3 of 5 year plan with the amount of money spent top 6 seems to be where you need to be this season. 

56 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It's just the way it works: you guys are back on these threads illustrating this very point.

I'd beg to differ. For as long as man has walked the Earth we come onto United threads - even whilst in different leagues - it's something Mr Danger always has a wee wobbler about. He's been very vocal on Dundee threads since the beginning of the season and then all of a sudden he's went mute. 

I'm at a loss to explain why though.