The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Part of me thinks Graham doing well means we have nothing to lose giving a youth striker a shot. We know what we are going to get always starting with Mcnulty.

Part of me also thinks Graham doing well here is training/playing beside Edwards/Mulgrew.

That logic could write-off the whole next generation of forwards trying to break through!! 

5 minutes ago, East Coast Warrior said:

Part of me thinks Graham doing well means we have nothing to lose giving a youth striker a shot. We know what we are going to get always starting with Mcnulty.

Part of me also thinks Graham doing well here is training/playing beside Edwards/Mulgrew.

That logic could write-off the whole next generation of forwards trying to break through!! 

It's certainly easier for Graham slotting in alongside Mulgrew, Edwards and Butcher than if he'd gone in alongside Donaldson, Durnan or Connolly. Still, I think what it shows is that there's not necessarily a great deal between the younger guys and the established first team players and if they get a run any one of them could step up and cement a place. The benefit for Thomson and, to an extent, the attacking midfield players is that they literally can't create less than the incumbents. It's a shot to nothing. You ken McNulty and Clark are going to create nothing. If nothing else the young lads will at least add an element of novelty to not scoring goals.

1 hour ago, Sugar_Army said:

In 2016 when we got relegated we scored 45 goals in 38 games.

I'm quite surprised we scored so much*, especially considering the number of absolute sitters Billy McKay alone missed that season.

*Edit to add, tbf I think I'm right in saying a fifth of that total came in our last two games against a rank rotten Killie team.

Also, would that total include the goals scored in the forfeited win against ICT post-relegation?

Edited by captainkev

I'm quite surprised we scored so much*, especially considering the number of absolute sitters Billy McKay alone missed that season.
*Edit to add, tbf I think I'm right in saying a fifth of that total came in our last two games against a rank rotten Killie team.
Also, would that total include the goals scored in the forfeited win against ICT post-relegation?
I think so. Seems amazing to think about it, but we scored 10 goals in our last three games that season once relegation had alreasy been confirmed, for example.

In the fresh light of day I’m really pissed off with last night.  Not so much the score but the way the goals were conceded and the whole performance.  Don’t know how long Watt will be out for but the thought of the McNulty/Clark combo for a few more games is thoroughly depressing.  Also I’m not liking the formation, would far prefer 4-4-2, then I remember who the 2 are.  :bairn

17 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

It's certainly easier for Graham slotting in alongside Mulgrew, Edwards and Butcher than if he'd gone in alongside Donaldson, Durnan or Connolly. Still, I think what it shows is that there's not necessarily a great deal between the younger guys and the established first team players and if they get a run any one of them could step up and cement a place. The benefit for Thomson and, to an extent, the attacking midfield players is that they literally can't create less than the incumbents. It's a shot to nothing. You ken McNulty and Clark are going to create nothing. If nothing else the young lads will at least add an element of novelty to not scoring goals.

Its mental that shower of donkeys played so many games for us. 

I feel Clark and more so McNulty are also in that category. Id hold our young lads back from playing along side him till hes away - id imagine playing with McNulty will put the young lads back a decade or so.

It would be fair to say that there’s no huge love on here for Tam or Fat Tony.  Is there anything that would change people's minds.  A top six finish?  A European spot?

In fairness it’s an improvement on MellonBall but what wouldn’t be?

The only concern I would have about replacing Courts would be who we’d bring in.  If he stays then the signings must improve.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It would be fair to say that there’s no huge love on here for Tam or Fat Tony.  Is there anything that would change people's minds.  A top six finish?  A European spot?

In fairness it’s an improvement on MellonBall but what wouldn’t be?

The only concern I would have about replacing Courts would be who we’d bring in.  If he stays then the signings must improve.

Have heard rumours about Asghar sounding out Gordon Forrest. I’d say Courts just about deserves the chance to rectify the obvious deficiencies in the team/squad for next season but would not be averse to him getting his jotters.

26 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Have heard rumours about Asghar sounding out Gordon Forrest. I’d say Courts just about deserves the chance to rectify the obvious deficiencies in the team/squad for next season but would not be averse to him getting his jotters.

Not sure I could take to Forrest.  He has the look of a failed laboratory experiment.

I'm frustrated with our style of play and lack of goal threat, but as long as there's improvement in results I can't see there being any changes. By improvement, I mean over the long-term. No-one can argue that our fortunes haven't improved since Ogren/Asghar took over. If that is sustained over a further 5 year period then we'd be in a pretty good position.

I'm quite happy with the direction the club and team are going in and think both Asghar and Courts deserve credit. The team is currently very blunt in attack but there's a solid foundation and we're making steady progress. In my opinion. I ken there's a sizeable minority who can't stand either of them. They're entitled to their opinions too.

I actually dont mind either of them but we need to be doing better with the players we have imo. Courts cant say he hasnt been backed, nearly every one of the signings has been a full international at some point

I have more issue with Asghar and the recruitment team in general than Courts. People criticise our team for not having an attacking threat, but when the team only seems to sign good defensive players (Edwards, Mulgrew, McMann, Fuchs etc) and repeatedly fails on the attacking side, how else would you expect Courts to set his team up?

Edited by Accent-Unknown

2 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

I'm frustrated with our style of play and lack of goal threat, but as long as there's improvement in results I can't see there being any changes. By improvement, I mean over the long-term. No-one can argue that our fortunes haven't improved since Ogren/Asghar took over. If that is sustained over a further 5 year period then we'd be in a pretty good position.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

After being relegated and then a couple of seasons at 6th/7th in the Prem its definitely an improvement. 

I'd rather see improved and sustained progress than up and down. 

45 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'm quite happy with the direction the club and team are going in and think both Asghar and Courts deserve credit. The team is currently very blunt in attack but there's a solid foundation and we're making steady progress. In my opinion. I ken there's a sizeable minority who can't stand either of them. They're entitled to their opinions too.

The vitriol directed at Asghar and Courts is, in my view, out of order. Nether of them are doing poor jobs, Courts tends to talk contrarily in interviews but I rarely enjoy listening to a manager anyway, he's done a decent job under restricted conditions like most managers in the league. Asghar has brought in some duds along the way, but there have been gems as well, like every club.

I totally agree with the three posts above, and feel that Asghar gets it in the neck for being an ex-cop, and having a past association with old Rangers.

That said, I get frustrated watching our on the park efforts most of the time of late, and think the club are going to have to make difficult decisions in their pricing to sell season tickets for the next campaign.

I think on the face of it Courts isn't that bad a manager. We all know the attacking options aren't that great and we've done "okay" throughout the season, had a great run at the start and then a serious dive and the form has improved a little along with the performances. 

I'm not saying it's been great by any means but we're not in danger of relegation at least. 

Keep building with what we've got and attacking additions and we'll be reet. 

14 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I have more issue with Asghar and the recruitment team in general than Courts. People criticise our team for not having an attacking threat, but when the team only seems to sign good defensive players (Edwards, Mulgrew, McMann, Fuchs etc) and repeatedly fails on the attacking side, how else would you expect Courts to set his team up?

You missed out Shankland, Niskanen and Watt.