The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

That looks suspiciously like the gaffer going with what he might think is his best team, which would obviously be horrifying for all those who aren't fans of Pawlett, who looked to be playing in a midfield three with Harkes and Butcher.EdNyWLOXgAclKlq?format=jpg&name=medium

I'm not a great fan of Pawlett but that midfield three is at least a decent balance. 

Post-match interviews confirming that McMullan is having a hernia operation but that Benji should be able to get some time during the week (Mellon mentions Rangers but they are already playing Motherwell so it might be their reserves or a second string side)

It was a throw away comment but I really liked Mellon mentioning that he demands his team to be able to change shape during games and that we have been working on it during training and in these bounce matches.

17 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Robbie's definitely a fan. Fingers crossed.

Yip, Pawlett leaving frees up a healthy Premiership wage by all accounts, so would def take that.

Also, if Robbie could go the whole hog and resign Sow as well, that would be peachy, as he is is no fucking less than these Jambos deserve.....

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

That looks suspiciously like the gaffer going with what he might think is his best team, which would obviously be horrifying for all those who aren't fans of Pawlett, who looked to be playing in a midfield three with Harkes and Butcher.EdNyWLOXgAclKlq?format=jpg&name=medium

See if it's the Pawlett from when he 1st arrived before his first injury with us, then I have no problems with that at all. Since that injury and then playing the end of 2018/19 season taking painkiller injections he has been really off the pace and looking frustrated on the pitch. 

Maybe Mellon thinks he can mould the turd that is Pawlett and sprinkle some glitter on it. Id rather we gave Hearts the chance to do that.

Robbie will be my manager of the season if he signs Pawlett. Between that and pissing off to Hearts himself its been a pretty good transfer window for the club.

I'd rather we signed Conway on pure nostalgia alone or gave a young lad a chance instead of Pedro the donkey.

22 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

I might have started on the paint thinner a bit early, but is there no chance Pawlett improves after a 3 month break and a pre-season to get him fit and free from injury?

I'm assuming its B&Qs own brand because it's affy strong. I have some in the fridge. Top tip, always decant into a glass as a straw tends to melt after a few sooks :)

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Maybe Mellon thinks he can mould the turd that is Pawlett and sprinkle some glitter on it. Id rather we gave Hearts the chance to do that.

Robbie will be my manager of the season if he signs Pawlett. Between that and pissing off to Hearts himself its been a pretty good transfer window for the club.

I'd rather we signed Conway on pure nostalgia alone or gave a young lad a chance instead of Pedro the donkey.

With McMullan out injured we are woefully short on pacey (wide) players.

I'm one of the few that would keep some faith in Pawlett; he was quite good in the 6-2 gemme 😏

One of my biggest concerns about Connolly and Reynolds isn’t even their defending, it’s their horrific lack of ability on the ball.

2 minutes into the Arabzone highlights, Connolly attempts to pass it wide to Robson, but is easily intercepted and Livingston have a good break on goal.

Why is he even attempting that pass? It makes no sense! He hasn’t seen a forward run for which he is attempting to pick anyone out, it’s just a risky pass wide to the full-back on his opposite side, when he has other options including a midfielder who has come short to get the ball.

BA4EB127-D70B-43EB-8A86-CD334EDC15CE.jpeg

I'm one of the few that would keep some faith in Pawlett; he was quite good in the 6-2 gemme [emoji57]
Only game I attended last season at Tannadice and he was the best player on the park. Saying that Butcher was outstanding in that game at centre back. Just shows difference in 1 game to the views of a season ticket holder.

1 hour ago, superbigal said:
10 hours ago, ArabFC said:
I'm one of the few that would keep some faith in Pawlett; he was quite good in the 6-2 gemme emoji57.png

Only game I attended last season at Tannadice and he was the best player on the park. Saying that Butcher was outstanding in that game at centre back. Just shows difference in 1 game to the views of a season ticket holder.

I don't think anyone doubts that Pawlett has the potential/ability to be the best player on the pitch. The problem is that he rarely delivers, either because he isn't fit or because he just can't be arsed, and that is simply not good enough. Agree with IA that a huge part of the problem was Neilson ignoring this and just picking him anyway, but the player has to take responsibility for it too.

If he delivered even half the time he played, I'd probably take the gamble on keeping him, but given it's closer to 10% of the time, I'd have no problem if he stayed in the Championship with Hearts.