The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

Is he a crock? His wiki suggests that he's played over 40 games every season for 8 of the last 9 seasons. Last season he managed a mere 32 games. Doesn't sound like a crock.

I'm just going off the article and his wiki. Groin surgery twice in one season along with a few other niggly injuries doesn't sound ideal 

22 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'm just going off the article and his wiki. Groin surgery twice in one season along with a few other niggly injuries doesn't sound ideal 

The season before last he scored 32 goals in 53 games for Tranmere - you can see why Micky would be interested.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

The season before last he scored 32 goals in 53 games for Tranmere - you can see why Micky would be interested.

That's a great return a couple of seasons ago but it's about the only positive factor going for him. 

He doesn't fit the bill in so many other ways it's a really difficult signing for me to see at the club. 

2 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

That's a great return a couple of seasons ago but it's about the only positive factor going for him. 

He doesn't fit the bill in so many other ways it's a really difficult signing for me to see at the club. 

Because he's not Pav?

20 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Because he's not Pav?

No because 

1. He's under contract at Ipswich for another 18 months earning 10k a week. 

2. He's had double surgery this year on a groin injury, you know the type of injury that's really common to flare up and treat effectively. 

3. I'm not so sure 32 goals in League 2 would actually guarantee a similar return in the Scottish Prem 

18 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

No because 

1. He's under contract at Ipswich for another 18 months earning 10k a week. 

2. He's had double surgery this year on a groin injury, you know the type of injury that's really common to flare up and treat effectively. 

3. I'm not so sure 32 goals in League 2 would actually guarantee a similar return in the Scottish Prem 

1. True. If he's unaffordable we won't get him, but if Micky wants him no harm in trying.

2. Meh. I've had a bad groin injury in the past. Players can recover.

3. Nothing is ever guaranteed. Jon Daly had never scored more than 9 goals in a season before he joined us from League 2 - he worked out ok.

Edited by ArabFC

36 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

1. True. If he's unaffordable we won't get him, but if Micky wants him no harm in trying.

3. Nothing is ever guaranteed. Jon Daly had never scored more than 9 goals in a season before he joined us from League 2 - he worked out ok.

True, tbh overall I'm just getting a bad feeling about the possibility. Screams expensive mistake to me. 

Would rather see us signing a player we could develop and sell on. 

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Sam Cosgrove scored 1 goal in 12 games for Carlisle...  Carlisle got roughly 40 thousand for him. Came up to Scotland and aye Aberdeen got offered 2 million for him and would say he has been fairly decent for them ( now injured haha)

Flipside. Jayden Stockley was meh at Aberdeen, Exeter paid 100 thousand for him ( transfer fee) and then later on he went to Preston for 750 thousand. Class business for Exeter however didn't work out greatly for Aberdeen 

Edited by G_Man1985

Can't be any worse than Connolly. Have to be happy that Mellon has already spotted CH is your problem area. Worry is - if he's going to go with the 3 at the back system and Connolly remains a starter!

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can't be any worse than Connolly. Have to be happy that Mellon has already spotted CH is your problem area. Worry is - if he's going to go with the 3 at the back system and Connolly remains a starter!

I have a suspicion Micky just wanted an extra body in there and we'll soon return to 4 at the back.

I quite like 352 but you do have to commit to it - where does Paul McMullan play for example?