George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Protests

3 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I can see how some people become so entrenched in their views. Basically what you're telling me is that the 'left' don't commit false flags, but when something hateful appears and is attributed to the 'left' it must be a false flag committed by the 'right'.

I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm saying that you have to take these things on a case-by-case basis, and use your judgement.

You'd be super hard-pressed to find anyone within BLM or on the left in general who'd agree with defacing a Robert the Bruce statue on such obviously spurious grounds - and these are the guys who have no problem with tearing down a statue they don't like and dunking it in Bristol Harbour. Why would some BLM activist get it into their head that Robert the Bruce was a racist? Nobody genuinely thinks that, and Black Lives matter people tend to know far more than the average person about famous historical racists. I wouldn't have known Edward Colston from Adam before his statue was taken down, and I suspect you wouldn't have, either. Robert The Bruce makes no sense as a target and it's out of character for BLM.

However, it IS in character for the right to try to denigrate BLM with phoney propaganda, though. They've been doing it  for the last few years, and it's undeniable that Black Lives Matter is currently a target for far-right black propaganda.

It is possible that this is a genuine BLM defacement, but it's highly unlikely. Until they catch the right-wing scrote responsible, it's down to a balance of probabilities!

3 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I'm sure false flags are as old as time itself. Even as a kid, I remember one of my pals came up with the idea of scratching the class nerd's name into a table, in order tl get him into trouble.

The alleged assault on Jussie Smollett is an immediate example of a hoax hate crime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jussie_Smollett_alleged_assault The other one that springs to mind is the Covington School boys, where the media selectively edited footage to portray them as intimidating ethnic minorities, when the footage literally proved they were the ones initially being intimidated.

There are a few instances of individuals fabricating hate crimes for various purposes, sure, and Smollett is one I'd have in mind too. I can't think of a single case of an organized left-wing political group intentionally perpetrating a false flag attack, though, whereas it's much more commonplace from right-wing actors. I wouldn't be surprised if there maybe was a left-wing attack somewhere in all of history (the place to look might be Stalinist Russia), but if so, they're super-rare, unlike the ones perpetrated by the right.

7 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm saying that you have to take these things on a case-by-case basis, and use your judgement.

You'd be super hard-pressed to find anyone within BLM or on the left in general who'd agree with defacing a Robert the Bruce statue on such obviously spurious grounds - and these are the guys who have no problem with tearing down a statue they don't like and dunking it in Bristol Harbour. Why would some BLM activist get it into their head that Robert the Bruce was a racist? Nobody genuinely thinks that, and Black Lives matter people tend to know far more than the average person about famous historical racists. I wouldn't have known Edward Colston from Adam before his statue was taken down, and I suspect you wouldn't have, either. Robert The Bruce makes no sense as a target and it's out of character for BLM.

However, it IS in character for the right to try to denigrate BLM with phoney propaganda, though. They've been doing it  for the last few years, and it's undeniable that Black Lives Matter is currently a target for far-right black propaganda.

It is possible that this is a genuine BLM defacement, but it's highly unlikely. Until they catch the right-wing scrote responsible, it's down to a balance of probabilities!

There are a few instances of individuals fabricating hate crimes for various purposes, sure, and Smollett is one I'd have in mind too. I can't think of a single case of an organized left-wing political group intentionally perpetrating a false flag attack, though, whereas it's much more commonplace from right-wing actors. I wouldn't be surprised if there maybe was a left-wing attack somewhere in all of history (the place to look might be Stalinist Russia), but if so, they're super-rare, unlike the ones perpetrated by the right.

If I'm honest I did think the Bruce statue was possibly done by Unionists looking to cause division amongst nationalists.

BTW, I'm out of here for the next few days, now. I find this thread and these recent events to be thoroughly depressing. I am full of foreboding as to where all of this will lead, especially given the potential economic crisis we're likely to endure. This will not end well, though I hope I'm wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

If I'm honest I did think the Bruce statue was possibly done by Unionists looking to cause division amongst nationalists.

BTW, I'm out of here for the next few days, now. I find this thread and these recent events to be thoroughly depressing. I am full of foreboding as to where all of this will lead, especially given the potential economic crisis we're likely to endure. This will not end well, though I hope I'm wrong. 

Why would you think in your mind that it would cause division amongst nationalists? Enlighten me.

Edited by dirty dingus

3 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Why would you think in your mind that it would cause division amongst nationalists? Enlighten me.

I'm supposed to be 'out of here', but I feel rude by not responding to a direct question. So, just to make people aware, after this reply, I will not be posting in this thread for a few days. and will not reply to any questions.

Many of the nationalists I know, possibly the majority, are staunch republicans. Their reaction is likely to be "Meh! So what? He was a privileged king anyway. Who gives a f**k? We should be looking to the future Scotland - diverse, multicultural, equitable. Royalty sucks! I'd be quite happy if it was pulled down. The Bruce has nothing to do with the sort of nationalism I support or the Scotland I envisage! Let's build a workers' paradise." Some might even agree, given that he was racist against Saxons.

Other nationalists I know are more traditional. Aye, most of them are still pretty woke, but they also value Scotland's past. The majority cherish Scotland's past and share it with everybody. They value Scottish history, Gaelic, Scots, Burns. "We're all Jock Tamson's bairns." They'd probably be pretty annoyed by it.

In a nutshell, Scottish nationalism is mostly woke. Many supporters wouldn't condemn Black Lives Matter, and if the hoax were believed would refuse to condemn, and perhaps even justify, the graffiti. I hope that makes sense. 

16 minutes ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

I'm supposed to be 'out of here', but I feel rude by not responding to a direct question. So, just to make people aware, after this reply, I will not be posting in this thread for a few days. and will not reply to any questions.

Many of the nationalists I know, possibly the majority, are staunch republicans. Their reaction is likely to be "Meh! So what? He was a privileged king anyway. Who gives a f**k? We should be looking to the future Scotland - diverse, multicultural, equitable. Royalty sucks! I'd be quite happy if it was pulled down. The Bruce has nothing to do with the sort of nationalism I support or the Scotland I envisage! Let's build a workers' paradise." Some might even agree, given that he was racist against Saxons.

Other nationalists I know are more traditional. Aye, most of them are still pretty woke, but they also value Scotland's past. The majority cherish Scotland's past and share it with everybody. They value Scottish history, Gaelic, Scots, Burns. "We're all Jock Tamson's bairns." They'd probably be pretty annoyed by it.

In a nutshell, Scottish nationalism is mostly woke. Many supporters wouldn't condemn Black Lives Matter, and if the hoax were believed would refuse to condemn, and perhaps even justify, the graffiti. I hope that makes sense. 

Shut up ya fanny.

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

What happened in George Sq?

Some crew calling themselves the Loyalist Defense League which seems to be a cover name for the local Adolf Fan Club, decided to hang around the Square looking like Sevco casuals. Going by the number of iPhones snapping away Antifa have everyone of the grunts coupons.

4 hours ago, Sinner-to-Saint said:

That first characterisation of independence supporters exists mainly inside your head imo

10 hours ago, Albertlegend said:

Why are the football lads bunch attacking the police? I thought after last week they were on the same team as the police? 

Are they raging the police are protecting statues and they aren't? 

They showed up hoping to fight antifa supporters but as they didn’t show up in great force the only people left to fight were the polis. Saw a group of them storming a park and then there were a few young people male and female enjoying a picnic who the angry crowd stood over telling them to f**k off basically. Was truly saddening to see.