Colt team proposal

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Honestly, I wonder if there is a more annoying duo on sports radio than John Collins and Craig Levein.

Even if what Collins was saying wasn't utter shite ("You could see 2 or 3,000 Rangers/Celtic fans clicking through the turnstiles at Colts away games") 

Did anyone actually call him on this complete moonhowling drivel?

8 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Did anyone actually call him on this complete moonhowling drivel?

I used to watch Celtic reserves when they played in Airdrie. Albeit it was usually a Monday afternoon, there was only officials, scouts and families of players and not many of them. You could just walk in if you asked nicely, but I always passed mugs in Celtic shirts who didn't even know it was on, on the way home.

There is no interest in watching them from their own support never mind opponents.

20 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Colt teams are the end point in as much as 7 or 8 years of high quality coaching and rely on the kids not being typical Scottish teenagers. They're not the magic bullet that folk seem to think and it's lazy thinking to look at how Jong Ajax operates (for example) and think that it's the colt team element that's the difference maker.

Nobody involved in the promotion of this is stupid enough to think it would actually help Scotland to produce higher-quality players. Presumably John Collins is being deliberately disingenuous about the proposal as it's what his club wants, and f**k only knows what's going on with Levein; possibly he's just part of the group that believes there is no Scottish football without the cash cows. Would make sense, considering he's best buds with Ann Budge.

I'm told that corporal punishment seems to work quite well in other countries; can we bring it back for people who suggest this abhorrent shite again?

At best you'd get 100 folk in the away end at a colts game. Typically local families who don't often get to the big team home games and the odd obsessive. That would be offset by the home fans who'd stay away. I'd refuse to go to games featuring colt teams. I'd use that Saturday to go to another game completely. Pollok or the vale juniors.
The worry in all of this is that club Directors may prioritise short-term financial gain over the principle of the democratic league structure. Our club was a founding member of the Scottish League and whilst I agree with your stance on body swerving future Colt fixtures, I think that it goes deeper than that. Supporters need to communicate to their clubs their expectation that the Boards will each and collectively firmly reject the inclusion of Colt clubs, now or at any time.

1 hour ago, monthefife said:

The ONLY people who'd bother to turn up supporting the Colt clubs will be the 16/17 year old laddies Ma's and Da's. This suggestion that 2,000/3,000 fans would turn up is as utterly laughable as it is ridiculous. 

As the cup matches have proven.  The colts don't even get to play at their own home stadium such is the esteem they are held in by their parent clubs. 

I used to watch Celtic reserves when they played in Airdrie. Albeit it was usually a Monday afternoon, there was only officials, scouts and families of players and not many of them. You could just walk in if you asked nicely, but I always passed mugs in Celtic shirts who didn't even know it was on, on the way home.
There is no interest in watching them from their own support never mind opponents.
This is normal behaviour pre covid if you happen to be in any town centre or shopping outlet.

Old scum playing Sunday 12.00 & you would pass tens of them totally oblibious their team (ahem) are playing with their relevant colours on show

Same mutants in Geo Square no doubt

14 hours ago, monthefife said:

The ONLY people who'd bother to turn up supporting the Colt clubs will be the 16/17 year old laddies Ma's and Da's. This suggestion that 2,000/3,000 fans would turn up is as utterly laughable as it is ridiculous. 

Oh, I'd go further than that; it's a flagrant lie pushed by people with bad intentions.

Nobody with any knowledge of the situation could believe that. John Collins is absolutely a shill for this concept, and it should be brought up whenever he gives "his opinion" on anything ever again.

19 hours ago, BFTD said:

Nobody involved in the promotion of this is stupid enough to think it would actually help Scotland to produce higher-quality players. Presumably John Collins is being deliberately disingenuous about the proposal as it's what his club wants, and f**k only knows what's going on with Levein; possibly he's just part of the group that believes there is no Scottish football without the cash cows. Would make sense, considering he's best buds with Ann Budge.

I'm told that corporal punishment seems to work quite well in other countries; can we bring it back for people who suggest this abhorrent shite again?

Capital punishment surely.

2 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Capital punishment surely.

I was thinking about that, but felt sure that somebody would report me for my stance on the death penalty for fucking up our football competitions  :lol:

A sound thrashing is surely a non-contentious solution.

Take away the fact that it's the Old Firm, for me it's the competition aspect that would be the worst.  Are they allowed to be promoted out of League 2?  If not, then it makes a bit of a farce of the promotion process if they end up winning the league.  If so, then it's just delaying the same thing.  They are clubs with a ceiling that essentially don't matter.  They sit outwith the usual dream of pushing for a Premiership place, and hold completely different aims and views.  Let's say Queen's Park are up against one of them, a club, like most, that are dreaming of climbing the leagues.  They're coming up against a team that's for, what?  Just developing players?  It'll turn whatever leagues they're allowed to be in into a complete joke, all for the benefit of two clubs and a few financially bribed diddies.

Of course that's completely discounting the other shite parts of the plan.  It should be gotten so far to f**k, as others have already said.

It seems like they'd be turning League Two into a development division where clubs develop from Highland and Lowland to national status, and young players develop into senior pros.

But without change to relegation too, it may as a bigger League Two become quite stagnant. What happens to it if these B teams are promoted within 5 years when the bribe runs out?

Sportsound tonight ,Maurice Ross; “if Rangers were not playing and the Colts where for eg playing Clyde, there would be 2-3 thousand at the game!” 
Aye right Maurice, what colour is the sky on your planet? The Challenge cup games are sold out aren’t they... honestly it would make you greet!

Brora chairman was on all for it, aye because you get promoted!

25 minutes ago, Life on Marrs? said:

Rangers had the opportunity to field youngsters in the bottom tier in 2012, & develop them as they came through the leagues, yet they chose to bring in the likes of Daly & Sandaza.

Don't forget Kevin Kyle, at three times his "blue sky" wage.