Overrated movies

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's on Amazon for £3.49 HD, £2.49 SD. Think I saw it and She's Gotta Have it back to back when they first came out, time for another go. Bit like Bill Forsyth, liked his films more when he was working on a shoe string.

Do The Right Thing feels a bit like a student film at times but I'd guess watching it in the current climate could be an eye opener, with a very obvious parallel to a recent incident. It will leave you craving pizza, as well as racial equality though. 

7 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

BigFatTabbyDave, if you ever speak ill of It's a Wonderful Life in my presence again, I will end you. I will f**k you up. I will have no qualms with sticking you. I will equalise you, motherfucker!!!

It's a Wonderful Life is perfect and I will not hear otherwise.

I'd have replied to this sooner, but after an unrelated trip to the hospital, I can confirm that It's a Wonderful Life is a perfect film and deserves no criticism.

Can't believe I forgot the entire ouevre of a single director; Woody fucking Allen.

That man should be very grateful for what he's got away with. Take that as you will.

36 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aye, you're at it now  :lol:

I mean a bit, aye,  Forrest Gump was the last one which stuck out as a 10/10 film for me personally but I'm no film critic (as much as I'd sometimes like to think so). I really enjoyed Titanic and Gladiator and maybe I'm being unfair in having only seen each once but they just don't have that 'magic' that Forrest Gump has. 

Reading the list again I've not seen most of the recent BP's since 2014's Birdman. I mean Moonlight, Spotlight and Colour of Water aren't films that made me that curious. I should probably just shut the **** up and get more films watched to be honest.

1 minute ago, Doctor said:

I mean a bit, aye,  Forrest Gump was the last one which stuck out as a 10/10 film for me personally but I'm no film critic (as much as I'd sometimes like to think so). I really enjoyed Titanic and Gladiator and maybe I'm being unfair in having only seen each once but they just don't have that 'magic' that Forrest Gump has. 

We should never go to the flicks together. Absolute polar opposites.

It's on Amazon for £3.49 HD, £2.49 SD. Think I saw it and She's Gotta Have it back to back when they first came out, time for another go. Bit like Bill Forsyth, liked his films more when he was working on a shoe string.
£3.49 is pretty steep my man, although watching black and white and/or older stuff in SD is usually more palatable so I could maybe splash out £2.49.

She's Gotta Have It is on Netflix.
Can't believe I forgot the entire ouevre of a single director; Woody fucking Allen.
That man should be very grateful for what he's got away with. Take that as you will.
Annie Hall is a fucking masterpiece, you c**t(s).

Bullets over Broadway is enjoyable.

Love and Death is occasionally funny but occasionally excruciating.

Wonder Wheel is shite.

This is obvs just a small selection as, like Spike Lee, trying to get into a director who's been around for decades and made four million films is pretty daunting. I've got Manhattan on DVD but never watched it so will give that a bash soon.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If we're going to start writing off every Woody Allen film he ever made, how about Weinstein?

Bananas was a masterpiece of its time btw, as was Sleeper.

Just to be clear, my antipathy towards Allen is based on his films being tedious self-indulgent shit, not because of how many of his/his wife’s children he may or may not have fucked.

...but on that, it’s hard not to think that he’ll be another Savile after death, with victims coming forward and plenty of “how could we have known?” handwringing from Hollywood, despite him having been the creepiest thing this side of Polanski for decades.

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Just to be clear, my antipathy towards Allen is based on his films being tedious self-indulgent shit, not because of how many of his/his wife’s children he may or may not have fucked.

...but on that, it’s hard not to think that he’ll be another Savile after death, with victims coming forward and plenty of “how could we have known?” handwringing from Hollywood, despite him having been the creepiest thing this side of Polanski for decades.

I hated him before it was cool.

21 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

You Were Never Really Here

Though I was going to love this, given the reviews, who stars in it and who directed it. Just found it frustrating and that it could have worked better as a straightforward thriller, rather than all the "is it real or is it a hallucination?" stuff. Save yourself the bother and watch Blue Ruin instead. 

Same. Thought it was shite.

Haven't seen Moonlight (the 2016 winner) but otherwise these would be my recent Best Picture winners (bold if different from actual winner):

2019: Parasite

2018: Green Book

2017: Get Out

2015: Spotlight

2014: Whiplash

2013: Dallas Buyers Club

3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Haven't seen Moonlight (the 2016 winner) but otherwise these would be my recent Best Picture winners (bold if different from actual winner):

If you like Whiplash, The Eddy on Netflix is worth catching (same director). Started a bit slow but Mrs Par and I loved it. Binged it all at the weekend. 

I liked Moonlight and Get Out. Moonlight was a realistic film with real issues (sadly). That's what maybe won it. Get Out was a really good film as well but I can see why Moonlight won. Haven't seen La La Land and if it's singing all the way through then I doubt I ever will.

La La Land. That reminds me. Every single musical ever made. They're all shite, with the possible exceptions of Jesus Christ Superstar and the South Park film. And I haven't seen the former since I was a wean.

I don't know what c**t came up with the idea that fiction is better when the plot stops to indulge some sub-par songs, but I'm glad they're dead.

Edit: the Rocky Horror Show is alright, mainly because it's so daft.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

La La Land. That reminds me. Every single musical ever made. They're all shite, with the possible exceptions of Jesus Christ Superstar and the South Park film. And I haven't seen the former since I was a wean.
I don't know what c**t came up with the idea that fiction is better when the plot stops to indulge some sub-par songs, but I'm glad they're dead.
I don't mind musicals if there is dialogue along the way. It's talking in song I can't stomach.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I don't mind musicals if there is dialogue along the way. It's talking in song I can't stomach.

Oh god you would hate La La Land, it some how manages to combine trying to setup all its exposition through sing-song with audio mixing bad enough to justify using subtitles